Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that the GSC is a dumpster fire requires that member institutions explore all options. Moving up is one of those options.

Comment

I think UWG would be foolish to not move up. As long as they have the funds, of course.

I still think UWF and VSU will move up in the near future.

The GSC will be in trouble, unless they can get some of the current non-football schools to add football. However, I highly doubt that happens.

The GSC is becoming a shell of its former self.
      RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
      Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
        I think UWG would be foolish to not move up. As long as they have the funds, of course.

The GSC will be in trouble, unless they can get some of the current non-football schools to add football. However, I highly doubt that happens.

The OVC seems like an odd fit for UWG.

VSU has been asserting a lack of resources for decades, but they, along with UWF and UWG, may be facing an up-or-out choice in the not too distant future.

Where would DSU and UWA go if such moves were to happen?

There is an NAIA football conference in FL. Perhaps an en mass invite is in order.

Comment

I so wish the timing was different on all of this. UWF, UWG, and VSU would be great additions to the ASUN and fill in the map a bit more. But, the ASUN WAC Football deal complicates all of that, though. I do think these schools could find a football home if the FBS move actually happens. Maybe the OVC/Big South Football alliance as affiliate members? I’m sure the OVC wants UWG as a full member but UWF and VSU don’t really fit geographically into that footprint. Of course, not that geography really matters in these sprawling D1 conferences.

Pensacola is not close to any D2 football schools but has four FBS schools that are 3 hours or less. It would be cool to play money games as an FCS program over in Mobile against South Alabama or go to Troy or Southern Miss. Even FSU! UNA plays the Seminoles this November.
          Last edited by UNALions; 03-02-2023, 01:42 PM.
          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

VSU has been asserting a lack of resources for decades, but they, along with UWF and UWG, may be facing an up-or-out choice in the not too distant future.

There is an NAIA football conference in FL. Perhaps an en mass invite is in order.
            That's what I was thinking but nowadays geography doesn't matter i guess

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

It will come down to $$$. We will launch a capital campaign with big dollars earmarked for Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post

That's what I was thinking but nowadays geography doesn't matter i guess
                It does when TV money isn't paying the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

Thank God the GSC has had poor leadership (in my opinion) to force UWG to prepare to fly the coupe. It’s about time. There is no reason to stay in a system that results in duplicate play in football. There is no reason to stay in a system that requires a change to 100% duplicate play in conference basketball. Currently the old system probably would have produced at least one other GSC team in the regional. Instead cannibalism. Makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Call View Post

Thank God the GSC has had poor leadership (in my opinion) to force UWG to prepare to fly the coupe. It’s about time. There is no reason to stay in a system that results in duplicate play in football. There is no reason to stay in a system that requires a change to 100% duplicate play in conference basketball. Currently the old system probably would have produced at least one other GSC team in the regional. Instead cannibalism. Makes no sense.
                    Agree. The question needs to be asked “who wants to be that person who was in charge the night the GSC died?” I know I wouldn’t won’t to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by UWARTime View Post

Agree. The question needs to be asked “who wants to be that person who was in charge the night the GSC died?” I know I wouldn’t won’t to be.
                      It is sad. Perhaps some things can’t be helped but the double scheduling of basketball was probably not necessary. Certainly there has not been proactive success with football. The GSC is sinking.
                      Last edited by Will Call; 03-03-2023, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                        I so wish the timing was different on all of this. UWF, UWG, and VSU would be great additions to the ASUN and fill in the map a bit more. But, the ASUN WAC Football deal complicates all of that, though. I do think these schools could find a football home if the FBS move actually happens. Maybe the OVC/Big South Football alliance as affiliate members? I’m sure the OVC wants UWG as a full member but UWF and VSU don’t really fit geographically into that footprint. Of course, not that geography really matters in these sprawling D1 conferences.

Pensacola is not close to any D2 football schools but has four FBS schools that are 3 hours or less. It would be cool to play money games as an FCS program over in Mobile against South Alabama or go to Troy or Southern Miss. Even FSU! UNA plays the Seminoles this November.
                        I also forgot about Tulane. So, that's five FBS schools within a 3-hour drive radius of Pensacola. Now, granted, the closest FCS schools would be FL A&M (Tallahassee is 3 hours) and the easternmost Southland schools in LA with SELA at a little over 3 hours and Nichols at about a 4-hour drive. UNO might join the FCS ranks soon but their students recently voted it down. But, as of now, UWA is the closest at about 3.5 hours and VSU and MC are about 4 hours.

Pensacola can easily be a D1/FCS town. We support minor-league baseball and hockey pretty well. The Ice Flyers have been drawing upwards of 5K lately. The Blue Wahoos averaged over 4K last season. Heck, UWF averaged 5K when they used Blue Wahoos Stadium. The Sun Belt Conference is holding its conference tournament in our civic center this week.

But, a real home stadium is an issue the Argos will have to deal with sooner than later. I like what they put together at Pen-Air Field for this past season but it was less than ideal for a top D2 program. It won't work at all for FCS.
                        Last edited by UNALions; 03-04-2023, 11:49 PM.
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Call View Post

It is sad. Perhaps some things can’t be helped but the double scheduling of basketball was probably not necessary. Certainly there has not been proactive success with football. The GSC is sinking.
                          What do you mean by double scheduling in basketball? Home and away with each team? That's very common. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. But, the scheduling in football is beyond ridiculous. It's hard enough to find a decent non-con slate of opponents but then the late-season repeat football game last year was such a flop. I was so confused by that concept.

I hate to see this happening. I grew up a huge fan/proponent of the GSC. I was so mad at Montevallo when they bolted for the Peach Conference for a while. I went to grad school there. They are literally less than an hour from GSC headquarters and wanted to go rogue. But, they had reasons. Nate Salant and those who have followed have made fans and foes. They continue to do so.

It makes me sad but it doesn't surprise me. I hate to see great conferences die. Remember the NCC up north? It ceased to exist in 2008 after having powerhouse football programs in the 80s & 90s. All of the Dakotas were in the same conference at that time. NDSU, SDSU, UND (the Sioux at that time), and USD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Central_Conference

My very first D2 championship game was the first time Florence hosted the game in 1987 and I was in the 8th grade. As a member of the local McDonald's All-Star Band, we did a pre-game show and sat in the stands for the game. It was a sea of green and red as NDSU was playing the Coyotes of South Dakota. Of course, NDSU won but that conference - along with the GSC - dominated back then. Little by little, most of those schools reclassified to D1 or are now in the NSIC.

The GSC has held strong for much longer, but how long can it last? I hope for a long time. But, I'm nervous.
                          Last edited by UNALions; 03-04-2023, 11:51 PM.
                          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Alumni Board meeting about a week ago. I asked the AD how he felt about all of the D1 rumors and for the first time he didn't completely deny them. The answer regarding UWG moving up changed from an "absolutely not" to "we are exploring all options right now." May be something, may be nothing... Just reporting what I was told.

Comment

• Interesting. But, Matt Brown disagrees.

Last edited by UNALions; 05-12-2023, 07:25 PM.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                                Interesting. But, Matt Brown disagrees.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Matt Brown? Is he truly tied into the ASUN or with any of the 3 schools mentioned?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X