X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UNALions View Post

The Joplin Globe article is from 2021.

Lawmaker opens talk about creating Oklahoma-only D2 conference
    I am telling you that there is nothing to it. There is a state rep that wants to re-legalize rooster fights. There are a lot of backbenchers that say a lot of things trying to get their names out there.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...s/70114429007/
    Go Bronchos!

Comment

• Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post

I am telling you that there is nothing to it. There is a state rep that wants to re-legalize rooster fights. There are a lot of backbenchers that say a lot of things trying to get their names out there.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...s/70114429007/
      Politician's trying to grandstand... inconceivable!!!

Comment

• It's all about time and money. I don't have confidence in the GSC leadership to solve the problems. A decision will be made in the next 24 months, but probably sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf King View Post
          It's all about time and money. I don't have confidence in the GSC leadership to solve the problems. A decision will be made in the next 24 months, but probably sooner rather than later.
          I would like to see a GSC Financial report. Income, salaries, employee profiles(connections to outside interest, etc)

Comment

• Look at who made it work and who is trying to figure it out 16 years later. Leadership matters.
            Atlanta Journal-Constitution West Georgia plans to build a 9,000-10,000-seat football stadium, the cornerstone for an eventual move from Division II to Division I. The Wolves have raised more than a third of the $10 million cost but need alumni help for the facility called Alumni Stadium. The fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Call View Post
              Look at who made it work and who is trying to figure it out 16 years later. Leadership matters.
              Did you see that post was from 2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

I did but interesting to see those comments about UNA way back then. "Scheduling is still UNA's biggest headache." And that was with the Arkies still in the GSC!

When I say scheduling has been an ongoing issue that largely drove UNA to D1, I'm not just blowing smoke.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• I believe the the GSC will eventually go Non-Football.

The D1 Southland Conference needs to go east and pick up West Florida, West Georgia, and Valdosta State.

If they ever get that New Bridge about 35 miles south of Cleveland, Mississippi over the Mississippi River then the GAC would be good fit for West Alabama, Mississippi College, and Delta State.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

That was my point. In 2007 KSU and GSU did not have football. UWG that spouted that news story in 2007 ended up with a different plan that probably should be investigated. That was 16 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
                      I believe the the GSC will eventually go Non-Football.

The D1 Southland Conference needs to go east and pick up West Florida, West Georgia, and Valdosta State.

If they ever get that New Bridge about 35 miles south of Cleveland, Mississippi over the Mississippi River then the GAC would be good fit for West Alabama, Mississippi College, and Delta State.
                      They won't. I've looked into the politics, funding, and plans for it. Interstate 69 will never be completed.

Comment

• Why does West Georgia keep adding payroll to the budget? Makes no sense with D2. Bye Bye D2.

Comment

• West Georgia was in talks with the OVC

Comment

• Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post
                            West Georgia was in talks with the OVC
                            When was this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfiefan View Post

When was this?
                              March.

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                              From Matt Brown:

Specifically, I am told that there is mutual interest in D-II University of West Georgia potentially joining the OVC.

The Wolves would address a few potential needs for the OVC. UWG’s main campus, in Carrollton, Georgia, is only about an hour away from former OVC member Jacksonville State. The OVC has never had a full member in Georgia before, but it did previously have schools in Alabama. Moving into Georgia gives OVC coaches and staffers an excuse to visit talent (and student) rich parts of the country, without extending too far out of bus range.

West Georgia also sponsors football, helping to bolster the OVC/Big South partnership, giving them a membership buffer in case one of the geographic outlier institutions (like Bryant) decides on other league affiliations in the future. UWG’s enrollment (over 10,000 undergraduates and growing) and institutional profile also broadly fits many of the other schools currently in the OVC.

UWG currently sponsors 13 varsity sports and currently plays in D-II’s Gulf South Conference. Their football program has been a regular D-II playoff participant over the last decade.

This isn’t a done deal by any means. Reclassifying is a major institutional investment, and that process is longer for public schools that need to bring regents and other stakeholders into the conversation. UWG could decide to stay in D-II. It’s also possible that other conferences could try to convince UWG to join their league instead. I’m told that the ASUN, for example, has also expressed interest, but the ASUN’s current FBS partnership plan with the WAC could be a complicating factor for UWG.

For what it’s worth, I am told that UWG’s two most prominent football-playing peers in the Gulf South Conference, West Florida and Valdosta State, are not considered major reclassification candidates in the short term.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/here...ce-realignment
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Sadly I haven't heard anything else

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X