Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Signing Day Update

I was sent the following signing day information from my ole UNCP Braves supporter / fan (and he's ecstatic).

UNCP's new head coach Mark Hall and staff had 16 Chowan University players (many key starters) follow their former coaching staff to UNCP for the 2023 signing day. Chowan was 7-4 last year with a lot of key contributors on both sides of the ball (including skill positions) deciding to transfer to the Braves program. The UNCP signing day also included other key transfers including Catawba's top 2022 defensive player Jorden Gregg, ECSU's top returning WR, along with others.
    Aside from the transfer portal, they also have a very impressive high school signing class coming in.

UWF signed Marcus Stokes, a QB who was committed to Penn State and then Florida, was removed by Florida after being caught on video saying racial slurs, and then he was offered by HBCU Albany State before they pulled their offer. Now he's at UWF. Insert eye roll.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Signing Day at BlazerNation.

https://vstateblazers.com/news/2023/...y-central.aspx

#BlazerNation

Comment

Delta State 2023 Signing Day
        https://gostatesmen.com/news/2023/2/...announced.aspx

Mid-Year Signees:

YR NAME POS HT WT Hometown / Previous School

JR Cason Burress LB 5-10 200 Olive Branch, MS/Aurora University

GR Gavin Campbell OT 6-3 285 Olive Branch, MS/Austin Peay

JR Wade Cannon LS 6-1 225 Fulton, MS / Itawamba CC

JR Kharel Coney DB 5-9 180 McComb, MS/Southwest CC

JR Tycen Gray TE 6-2 240 Farmington, MO/Missouri Western St

JR Qu'Darius Hodges OT 6-1 300 Batesville, MS/Itawamba CC

JR Aabdural Lee Jr DB 5-10 190 Starkville, MS/Mississippi Valley St

FR Reed Miller QB 6-0 180 Yazoo City, MS/Yazoo County HS

JR Carter Norrie LB 6-1 220 Dallas, TX/Southwest Oklahoma

JR Josh Pack LB 6-2 215 Olive Branch, MS/Itawamba CC

JR Mark Robinson DL 6-3 265 Memphis, TN/Garden City CC

JR Jessie Shorts OT 6-5 275 Roxie, MS/Copiah-Lincoln CC

JR Ahmir Taylor DE 6-1 235 Starkville, MS/East Mississippi CC

JR Nolan Troyer C 6-1 300 Tampa, FL/Iowa Western CC

February Signees:

FR Clay Barr LB 6-1 210 Daphne, AL/St Michael Catholic

FR Jackson Davenport OL 6-2 275 Pelham, AL/Pelham HS

FR Cooper Gardenhire LB 5-9 200 Farmington, AR/Farmington HS

FR Jaden Gibson WR 6-5 170 Monroe, LA/Neville HS

FR Aedan Hogan OL 6-5 280 Houston, TX/Kinkaid School

FR Tye Holsey DB 6-1 195 McDonough, GA / Ola HS

FR Connor Jones OT 6-5 300 Troy, AL/Charles Henderson

FR Cannon McClain DB 6-3 170 Hattiesburg, MS/Presbyterian HS

FR Jalen Pickens LB 6-0 200 Jackson, AL/Jackson HS

FR Cade Renfroe LB 5-11 205 Troy, AL/Pike Liberal Arts

FR Alex Rhoades WR 6-2 180 Lindale, GA/Pepperrell HS

FR Kam Richardson DB 6-2 165 St Louis, MO/Kirkwood HS

FR Brady Roehm K 6-2 205 Hernando, MS/Tunica Academy

FR Sam Stonestreet LB 5-10 200 Clarksdale, MS/Lee Academy

FR Antoine Washington DE 6-3 215 Hollandale, MS/Simmons HS
        RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
        Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Coach Nobles signs 16 (13 HS, 3 transfers) for initial 2023 class with 5 local (NW FL and lower AL) players and the rest from other parts of FL. Very tall class with only 3 under 6’. (1) PK, (1) DL, (1) LB, (1) RB, (2) QB, (2) OL, (2) WR and (6) DB.

Naming Nobles HC early seems to have paid off with well rounded initial class. I expect we will see more names added to this list between now and fall practice and who knows if any of these players see actual playing time in 2023. Looking forward to spring game in about a month from now and what new offense will look like under Nobles and OC Dickerson.
          Last edited by Argonut; 02-02-2023, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Is it me, or do we not give as much credence to D1 transfers since the transfer portal became a thing?

Comment

I can’t find a list of VSU the mid year transfers. I know we signed 19 in the earlier signing period.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazernerd04 View Post
                I can’t find a list of VSU the mid year transfers. I know we signed 19 in the earlier signing period.
                https://www.wtxl.com/sports/college-...al-signing-day this article says 33 transfers, but no details

Comment

With that many signed for Blazers they can’t help being better this year. I seriously doubt they lose 5 GSC games this year, especially with Chowan losing a third of their team to UNC Pembroke when the Chowan players followed the ex Chowan HC to Pembroke. A lot of these players were starters for Chowan’s 7-4 team last year. The new Chowan HC has a big job to get ready for full GSC schedule in 7 months.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post

https://www.wtxl.com/sports/college-...al-signing-day this article says 33 transfers, but no details
                    Alison does a great job reporting on all Blazer sports. She's on Twitter. Give a follow.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                      With that many signed for Blazers they can’t help being better this year. I seriously doubt they lose 5 GSC games this year, especially with Chowan losing a third of their team to UNC Pembroke when the Chowan players followed the ex Chowan HC to Pembroke. A lot of these players were starters for Chowan’s 7-4 team last year. The new Chowan HC has a big job to get ready for full GSC schedule in 7 months.
                      Maybe it says more about Pembroke than anything. Chowan guys saw the roster and thought, yeah we can start there immediately lol.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                        Maybe it says more about Pembroke than anything. Chowan guys saw the roster and thought, yeah we can start there immediately lol.
                        It was explained to me by someone in the know, that UNC-Pembroke's new coach, Mark Hall (from Chowan) was able to convince a lot of Cowan's key players to transfer to UNCP, even though the majority of the Braves starters (especially in skill positions) are returning.

Part of the reason was because Chowan's players really like playing for Coach Hall and staff, the other being that because of the huge difference in tuition cost between private Chowan verses public UNCP the transfer players are basically saving the equivalence of a 3/4th scholarship to switch to the Braves.

Keep in mind that Coach Hall also convinced Catawba's top defensive player to transfer to the Brave's program.
                        With all of these big changes, the UNC-Pembroke Braves are going to be loaded on both sides of the ball for at least the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

It was explained to me by someone in the know, that UNC-Pembroke's new coach, Mark Hall (from Chowan) was able to convince a lot of Cowan's key players to transfer to UNCP, even though the majority of the Braves starters (especially in skill positions) are returning.

Part of the reason was because Chowan's players really like playing for Coach Hall and staff, the other being that because of the huge difference in tuition cost between private Chowan verses public UNCP the transfer players are basically saving the equivalence of a 3/4th scholarship to switch to the Braves.

Keep in mind that Coach Hall also convinced Catawba's top defensive player to transfer to the Brave's program.
                          With all of these big changes, the UNC-Pembroke Braves are going to be loaded on both sides of the ball for at least the next 2 or 3 seasons.
                          My comment wasn't a shot at Chowan or Coach Hall. I apologize if it came off that way. The points you made are spot on and make sense. Especially the tuition part.

As far as the top defensive player from Catawba....that doesn't mean anything to me. I have a lot of friends at and from Catawba. They were the 13th best team in a 12 team league last year.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
                            Delta State 2023 Signing Day
                            https://gostatesmen.com/news/2023/2/...announced.aspx

Mid-Year Signees:

YR NAME POS HT WT Hometown / Previous School

JR Cason Burress LB 5-10 200 Olive Branch, MS/Aurora University

GR Gavin Campbell OT 6-3 285 Olive Branch, MS/Austin Peay

JR Wade Cannon LS 6-1 225 Fulton, MS / Itawamba CC

JR Kharel Coney DB 5-9 180 McComb, MS/Southwest CC

JR Tycen Gray TE 6-2 240 Farmington, MO/Missouri Western St

JR Qu'Darius Hodges OT 6-1 300 Batesville, MS/Itawamba CC

JR Aabdural Lee Jr DB 5-10 190 Starkville, MS/Mississippi Valley St

FR Reed Miller QB 6-0 180 Yazoo City, MS/Yazoo County HS

JR Carter Norrie LB 6-1 220 Dallas, TX/Southwest Oklahoma

JR Josh Pack LB 6-2 215 Olive Branch, MS/Itawamba CC

JR Mark Robinson DL 6-3 265 Memphis, TN/Garden City CC

JR Jessie Shorts OT 6-5 275 Roxie, MS/Copiah-Lincoln CC

JR Ahmir Taylor DE 6-1 235 Starkville, MS/East Mississippi CC

JR Nolan Troyer C 6-1 300 Tampa, FL/Iowa Western CC

February Signees:

FR Clay Barr LB 6-1 210 Daphne, AL/St Michael Catholic

FR Jackson Davenport OL 6-2 275 Pelham, AL/Pelham HS

FR Cooper Gardenhire LB 5-9 200 Farmington, AR/Farmington HS

FR Jaden Gibson WR 6-5 170 Monroe, LA/Neville HS

FR Aedan Hogan OL 6-5 280 Houston, TX/Kinkaid School

FR Tye Holsey DB 6-1 195 McDonough, GA / Ola HS

FR Connor Jones OT 6-5 300 Troy, AL/Charles Henderson

FR Cannon McClain DB 6-3 170 Hattiesburg, MS/Presbyterian HS

FR Jalen Pickens LB 6-0 200 Jackson, AL/Jackson HS

FR Cade Renfroe LB 5-11 205 Troy, AL/Pike Liberal Arts

FR Alex Rhoades WR 6-2 180 Lindale, GA/Pepperrell HS

FR Kam Richardson DB 6-2 165 St Louis, MO/Kirkwood HS

FR Brady Roehm K 6-2 205 Hernando, MS/Tunica Academy

FR Sam Stonestreet LB 5-10 200 Clarksdale, MS/Lee Academy

FR Antoine Washington DE 6-3 215 Hollandale, MS/Simmons HS
                            I think this is a big day for DSU, and the successful season was a major part. I hope they continue so that we will see big football crowds again.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X