Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Away games

Hello everyone! I’ve been lurking in these forms for over a year now and wanted to finally post a question? My junior year of college we finally got back into football after the Covid year and since I’m in the band at West Georgia we travel to the Valdosta and west florida games and any other playoff game. Since going to those it made me a lot more interested in my team. My question to you all is, Do you travel to away games and follow your school and if so, are you a student or an alumni. And if you’re a student do you think it would be beneficial for our schools to push travel to these games?

Welcome Wolfefan! Yes, as an alum (Valdosta State), I have always enjoyed away games. Blazers fans travel well to Carrolton and Albany, and used to when we played Ft. Valley in Macon. Many years ago Blazers had terrific visiting sections at Georgia Southern and Central Florida. I once went to a game at Gardner Webb University in North Carolina, expecting to be the only non-family member there, and there were at least 200 Blazers fans that found their way to that game. Our attendance has diminished over the years as we play lower profile schools. Hard to get excited about a game against Keiser, Point, or VUU (all fine schools, but not like us). I think there should a push to travel to one away game a year, if the opponent, time of day, and location is right for a team - it would be good for the conference in general. For Valdosta State it would be great to play a neutral site game in Atlanta on a late Saturday afternoon/early evening would draw well. (Kennesaw would have been epic and great for VSU, but that ship has sailed to D1). Perhaps a three game classic in MBS between Gulf South and Great Lakes teams, like what was done in AT&T Stadium years ago would generate some alumni interest. Regardless, hope to see you 11/11 in Valdosta!

Comment

Not a gsc guy, but I travel to games occasionally. Pitt and MoSo are 30 miles apart, so a lot of Pitt fans show up when the game is at their place. Pitt used to travel very well to most away games, but a decade of mediocrity and covid cut that way back. Not sure if it will ever recover.

I definitely think schools should encourage it, but in this litigious age,, they are probably advised not to encourage it too hard.

Comment

DSU here, we're a long way away from everybody. I've traveled over the years, but being a preacher, I can't really travel a long way on a Saturday and be back and fresh for worship the next day. As a student, I also was in the band, the only football traveling we did was to the national championship. Over the years some bands have traveled a good ways to play at DSU for playoffs. I've seen Shaw University, Shepherd University, and University of North Alabama. One year West Alabama came to a regular season game.

Comment

It's a struggle to get people to come to home games.

Does UWG still try to force visiting fans into a corner of the upper deck?

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post
            DSU here, we're a long way away from everybody. I've traveled over the years, but being a preacher, I can't really travel a long way on a Saturday and be back and fresh for worship the next day. As a student, I also was in the band, the only football traveling we did was to the national championship. Over the years some bands have traveled a good ways to play at DSU for playoffs. I've seen Shaw University, Shepherd University, and University of North Alabama. One year West Alabama came to a regular season game.
            Other than Valdosta we always bring a pep band unless it’s as close or closer than Valdosta. We usually take a pep band to all playoff away games. I really enjoy going to other d2 schools and seeing what they have to offer opposed to our school. I haven’t decided if I’m doing it again or if I’m Just going to enjoy the season as a fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

No they let visiting fans sit in the away stands! Where are you from?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfiefan View Post

No they let visiting fans sit in the away stands! Where are you from?
                Let's just say that I have been around long enough to have attended WGC (and SUWG) Braves games at the old high school stadium.

Comment

Let's just say that I have been around long enough to have attended WGC (and SUWG) Braves games at the old high school stadium.
                  Me Too. The concrete slab seats were no fun.
                  I had to chuckle about visitor seating comments for UWG games.I probably did 3 games in the old "stadium" and 3 so far in new facility (I'm saving up my money for parking fees to go back)
                  and one thing I have never seen is a shortage of seating (home and visitors).....in fact all the games I've attended, one side would seat everyone there)

Comment

wow that was a long time ago. I know we are very fortunate to have the stadium we have now and I appreciate it more than most of our amenity’s.

Comment

Don't let them mess with you Wolfiefan. They are a bunch of crumogeons. We've been on campus in the best D2 stadium in the south for 12 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf King View Post
                        the best D2 stadium in the south for 12 years.
                        Incoming L-R fans in 3........2...........1.....................lol

Comment

I travel to Rome (I just don't like Valdosta) and sometimes I arrange a vacay around the West Florida game.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfiefan View Post
                            Hello everyone! I’ve been lurking in these forms for over a year now and wanted to finally post a question? My junior year of college we finally got back into football after the Covid year and since I’m in the band at West Georgia we travel to the Valdosta and west florida games and any other playoff game. Since going to those it made me a lot more interested in my team. My question to you all is, Do you travel to away games and follow your school and if so, are you a student or an alumni. And if you’re a student do you think it would be beneficial for our schools to push travel to these games?
                            once upon a time the UWG marching band made many more trips than it does now. Valdusty, tUNA, Albany St, Delta St, Morehouse, Clark Atlanta, etc... We even traveled a few times for Basketball. From this came a love of personal travel and I tried to go to (at a minimum) 1 away game for football and 1 away game for basketball. I highly suggest you attend away games and bring your friends too. UWG plays MANY schools within driving distance for both sports.

Do like I did - ask after rehearsal if anyone wants to go and plan it. I think we had 20 band members go to Furman, about a dozen go to Georgia Southern, and even one year at tUNA we held what we called the "tuna tailgate" (and yes, it had tuna melts for those who wanted it).

Comment

Nah, you get the entire visitor side again.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X