Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catawba is DONE!!

Today was very painful to watch. 21 points off of a blocked punt and 2 kickoff returns? QB 10-26 passing? 0-10 3rd down conversions? After watching us play these past 3 weeks, today is the first day that I am worried about a coaching change in Salisbury

Comment

Originally posted by CatUFan View Post
      Today was very painful to watch. 21 points off of a blocked punt and 2 kickoff returns? QB 10-26 passing? 0-10 3rd down conversions? After watching us play these past 3 weeks, today is the first day that I am worried about a coaching change in Salisbury
      OR NOT

Comment

Larold are you saying that after 4-7 last season and 1 or 2 wins this season that we should be ok with this?

Comment

Originally posted by CatUFan View Post
          Larold are you saying that after 4-7 last season and 1 or 2 wins this season that we should be ok with this?
          Not at all. You mentioned you were worried about a coaching change, I was saying (in my feeble way, I guess) that you might want to be worried about NO COACHING CHANGE.

I took your statement to mean that a coaching change might happen, and you were worried.

Comment

As a follower of Catawba football, it looks like they have to reorganize.

Comment

It's pretty bad. Having seen Catawba as recently as week five, I don't think the players have given up on the season, but they have very little going for them right now. Quarterback play is not good, but as I said a few weeks ago in my column, who else is going to step up? Who is going to stand up and help the offense make plays? The running game is average at best and has scored only three touchdowns - worst in the conference. It looked like Chylon Thomas might emerge as a go-to receiver but he hasn't been a factor in the last two games. Kolby Easley has shown potential, but 8.8 yards per catch isn't moving the ball down field. I hadn't heard anything definitive on Ken Avent, but it looked like he was in a boot during the Limestone game so I am guessing he is not expected back this year. The defense looks like its just worn down. They stared off the Carson-Newman game okay with three stops in the first four drives but it went downhill after that and obviously special teams was atrocious. Stopping the run has been a big problem since the start of last year and that is not characteristic of Catawba football. They should be able to compete with Tusculum, Mars Hill and Wise. If they could find a way to win two of those three at least they can salvage something in the second half of the year.

Comment

Chuck, thanks for the insight. My question to you is is there no other QB on the team that might be able to come in and spark the team? Repeating this formula with no changes expecting a different result is madness.

Comment

Chuck, I remember reading the pre-season preview and it mentioned that both Davis and Stewart were pushing Avent. Reading Stewart's bio and doing a littlle research, he played in a pretty competitive private school league up north with plenty of accolades. Could he be the spark the team is looking for?

Comment

Excellent point. Given where the team is at right now, they have to try something. The offense is not getting better. Their problems on offense go way beyond the quarterback position, but sometimes just a different leader in the huddle can make a difference. I do think Thomas and Easley have potential but they have to a better job getting the ball out to them. A quarterback change is at least worth a try if they have someone behind Davis that they feel good about. As far as I can tell, Brandon Stewart has not played at all this season. Unless the coaches feel that he's not ready, they have to be thinking about giving him some reps.

Comment

Looking deeper into this, I'm wondering if this is just a short term hiccup in the program, or is this the start of a long term trend. Has the local Food Lion big $$$ backing for the football program (that we've heard about) come to an end due to falling attendance numbers over the past number of years? Are the offered scholarships been recently cut back due to financial reasons? Something's definitely going on.

Comment

Being new to the Indian Nation and having a dog in the fight, I have only seen a hand full of games, my quick assessment is first and foremost they are a young team. According to the roster they have only 10 Sr. and 11 Jr. on the squad. The games I have seen in person shows that the Indians a much smaller team than their opponents. The best all around game they played was against Wingate. No TOs and could have very well won that game if they could have stopped Wingate on 3rd downs. Big weakness on Defense for most of the year. I know the D is young and certainly needs to hit the weight room in the offseason to get stronger, from what I have seen they are just getting pushed around upfront which leads to lots of rushing yards and zero pressure on the QB. As for the Offense not real sure about what to think. A little predictable maybe, not sure if it is because the starting QB went down before season, but I would like to think the young man in there has some experience being a transfer. Having sat in the stands and listening to some of the Old timers be the Arm Chair Coaches it seems they haven't had reliable QB play in some years. Again young team that needs to hit the offseason weight room so they can be the pushers and not the pushees. I will be there this Saturday to watch and hopefully see a competitive game on both sides of the ball.

As for the funds I know nothing about Food Lion and/or any kind of big donors. I do know they are supposed to tear up the stadium field after the football season to install field turf. Compared to some of the other facilities I have seen watching games online CatU is a little behind the times as far as facilities goes, which as we all know helps recruiting. Again all personal observations and/or opinion from a Newbie, but who also as an investment in the Indians. Go Indians!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X