Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limestone -- best of the worst teams in the sac!!!

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limestone -- best of the worst teams in the sac!!!

Coming off a 2 game winning streak against Pembrook & Catawba, even though we were playing top ranked Wingate, was expecting the Saints to use the momentum of the wins into a good performance against Wingate. Completely wrong.....

Last we we threw for 330 yards. Had 2 running backs that rushed for over 100 yards each. A total offense of 600 yards and scored 52 points

Against Wingate, we threw for 110 yards and rushed for about 70 yards. A total offense of 180 yards scoring only 3 points.

The defense played hard and played with alot of courage, but our offense continued to put us into bad field position throughout the game....

Again, the disorganization on the sidelines, players yelling at each other and coaches, continues when things are not going well for the Saints...

Catawba and Wingate are two VERY different teams.

Also Wingate is the second best team in the SAC :wink::wink:

Comment

Originally posted by BearsLRU View Post
      Catawba and Wingate are two VERY different teams.

Also Wingate is the second best team in the SAC :wink::wink:
      Totally agree Bears.... Just expected more from a team that was suppose to be getting better.... Also don't understand the decision making from HC Turk. In the 3rd quarter, down 24-3 and still in the game. Turk decides to go for it on 4 & 2 from the Saints 30 yard line. The run gets stuffed and Wingate goes on to score 3rd TD in the quarter to put the game out of reach 31 - 3.

Comment

The offense did not put us in bad field position, that was a result of a good kicking game and coverage from Wingate. The offense just couldn't move the ball against a very good defense. Wingate made it impossible for us to run and that made us one dimensional on offense, which is what I figured would happen. I would have liked to have seen us compete in the 2nd half like we did in the 1st but we didn't. Wingate is head & shoulders ahead of us right now as is CN & LR. That's not a negative towards Limestone, that's just the reality of the situation.

Comment

A short lived happiness at Limestone. So, they went for it on 4th and 2 on their own 30? Crazy, must be watching too much TV, guess in the era of Analytics, field position doesn't matter. Obviously a desperation move that tells your team, that you don't believe in them enough to come back with a lot of time left. As far as the problems on the sideline, didn't they fire the last coach because of all the unhappiness of the players? I'm confused. Well, not really. If your having the same problems with a different coach, maybe you need new players. Make sense to anybody?

Comment

What I saw on the sidelines were kids that were competing hard and upset at their performance, not some type of "team upheaval". I don't disagree with going for it on 4th & 2 in our own territory. We were down 21 and imo, the game was out of reach because we hadn't shown any life offensively. Wingate nullified any long punts we had by flipping the field in their favor with good returns, so we probably didn't give up much field position anyway. Limestone trying to compete with WU, CN, & LR in the SAC right now is sorta like Missouri or Kentucky trying to compete with Alabama, LSU, & Georgia in the SEC...we are not on their level.

Comment

Guess Saints 62 and Saints 21 have a different view of the same game

Comment

Limestone won two games and played well in them, but those were against the bottom of the sac. I expected them to put up a better performance against Wingate than they did as well, they just don't have the talent to do so yet it appears.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints21 View Post
                  Limestone trying to compete with WU, CN, & LR in the SAC right now is sorta like Missouri or Kentucky trying to compete with Alabama, LSU, & Georgia in the SEC...we are not on their level.
                  I think there is a big gap between the top three and everyone else. There also may be a big gap between LR and Wingate/CN. I think we find that out on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post

I think there is a big gap between the top three and everyone else. There also may be a big gap between LR and Wingate/CN. I think we find that out on Saturday.
                    I hope you're right! I do think Wingate can hang with us, but I'm confident in our ability to win both games. I think we will beat CN by double digits, but thats just my opinion, we shall see Saturday!

Comment

Small dose of reality for Limestone, but I continue to be impressed with their defense. It was a 10-3 game at halftime. That unit has come a long way. Wingate's opening drive of the game went 65 yards and after that, their longest drive for the rest of the night was 37 yards. The fumble on the first play of the second half was a back breaker and was the first of three straight scoring drives for Wingate, all of which started in Limestone territory. Wingate's defense is peaking at the right time and Limestone's offense wasn't really able to stand up to it. The same thing will happen when they play Carson-Newman and Lenoir-Rhyne. Possibly Newberry too, as their defense is improving. But the Saints can compete with Mars Hill and Wise and as of now, I'd say Newberry as well. When you look at where this program was 12 months ago, 3 or 4 wins would be a big step in the right direction.
                      Last edited by Chuck Bitner; 10-15-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I agree 100% with you Chuck on everything you said. 3-4 wins definitely exceeds mine and other's expectations.

Comment

Saints 21, you had low expectations. If you look at the 2018 schedule with Gardner-Webb on it, Pembroke and UVA-Wise are cupcake additions apparently. Get your expectations up. Just don't get confused that there is that much progress being made.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dirty Harry;n436523 As far as the problems on the sideline, didn't they fire the last coach because of all the unhappiness of the players? I'm confused. Well, not really. If your having the same problems with a different coach, maybe you need new players. [/QUOTE]

Many of the 2018 players really liked Coach Irulli. Made players dress properly during meetings, wearing proper uniform dress during practices, made players accountable for their behavior on and off the field, got the team going to church together once per month and involve in several community service functions. My son and others coming from discipline background and programs understood what he was doing.

The unhappiness was the PR given by Athletic Director Mike Cerino to cover himself. Also Asst. AD/Weight Coach Curt Lamb did alot to undermine the program during Irulli's tenure....

Like Dirty said, Limestone last season started with Gardner-Webb, West Georgia and Tusculum all on the road. Lost to West Alabama on a field goal on the last play of the game, lost a high scoring game to Mars Hill, then played Carson-Newman and Lenior-Rhyne back-to-back. An injury plagued Saints team after 2 option styles offenses which defensive players would get cut alot by low blocks (which my son couldn't play the following week) lost to Newberry by 14 points. Head coach gets fired...... The players unhappiness is because they were a bad team and frustrated. They responded with a new start the following week by losing to Catawba by 30 points....

If Irulli was still there, the Saints right now would still be 2-4 and my son would have had 3 college head football coaches instead of 4 head coaches.

With all that being said, its good to have a couple of wins this season and hopefully we can get a few more to finish out the season...

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X