Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status of Pembroke coaching staff?

Program has slid. What will happen to improve?

I know they hate to do it but I think there will be a search campaign for a new head coach. The alums really like the coach as a person but he hasn't brought them the wins they wanted. With the cheap tuition at UNCP you would think recruiting would be a breeze but it hasn't been. is that the staff's fault, I don't know but it has to come back on the head. if they had put on their big boy pants and agreed to the term for joining the SAC or the CIAA I think they would have been better off BUT NO so now they have long L.O.N.G. travel to play away games with teams nobody has ever heard of which will cost lots of money from their athletic budget. BONEHEAD MOVE
    Last edited by Ethel Kay; 11-05-2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethel Kay View Post
      I know they hate to do it but I think there will be a search campaign for a new head coach. The alums really like the coach as a person but he hasn't brought them the wins they wanted. With the cheap tuition at UNCP you would think recruiting would be a breeze but it hasn't been. is that the staff's fault, I don't know but it has to come back on the head. if they had put on their big boy pants and agreed to the term for joining the SAC or the CIAA I think they would have been better off BUT NO so now they have long L.O.N.G. travel to play away games with teams nobody has ever heard of which will cost lots of money from their athletic budget. BONEHEAD MOVE
      This has been rehashed over and over, and the facts remain the same.

There was a split between the SAC schools about adding UNCP as a football only conference member, but to some, it all came down to the fact that size matters. Some of the schools were fine with having UNCP as a new member (including CN), but I've been told that a few members went down the UNCP check list and were fine with the school's geographical location and academics, but when they looked down at the growing enrollment size, some were quite intimidated and bothered, as compared at looking at their own size and trajectory. What pushed it over the top was knowing that UNCP's much larger size was being further enhanced even more by the Promise Scholarship Program which has UNCP's growing size (and academics) projection pointing up while some members had their own much smaller size projections pointing down. So, some members felt that UNCP's much larger size would give them an advantage in some situations, which is understandable, so I guess they really did have their big boy pants on all along. These same members felt much more comfortable adding UVA-Wise as a new member because of their similar smaller size, something they could better relate to.

As far as UNCP and the CIAA, this dead horse has been beaten and beaten, but here we go again. The CIAA gave an all (sports) or nothing option to UNCP, and the Braves had no interest as they have way to many focused sports programs (like baseball) that the CIAA does not support on a conference level. Add in the fact that many thought it would be like plugging a round hole with a square peg (not a good fit). There were several other differences between the CIAA and UNCP, but it really doesn't matter since (even though travel may be involved) they have landed in a conference they feel comfortable with, for the near future.

We wish them the best moving forward. Again, you never know what the future holds.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X