Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Carson Newman's win over Limestone

I can only assume there were soccer players suited up for Limestone in the football game. What else explains the use of 15 separate instances of Saints players being "injured" and having to be helped off the field?! If the Saints were suiting up young men not in shape for D2-level of play, then shame on the coaching for that. If the "injuries" were an Al Davis-like strategic decision try to slow CN's momentum, then shame on the coaches for that too. I did however notice that each of the injuries came when CN was on offence trying to up the tempo. I thought it was bizarre. I really don't know what else to make of it. Bizarre.

All kidding aside, I am sure some of the injuries were legit. If they were all legit though, it was a freakishly large number and it defied the odds that they came when CN was on offense or on special teams as CN was about to go on offense. I did notice too that there were never whistles when the play had become a scrum. During that time, injuries happen. There just were no whistles but there were many injuries. Still, the fact that it happened when CN was on offense...bizarre.

Late in the game, the Eagles D line looked worn out and there were no replacements being sent in. Where is Brian Bembry? When is he expected back? I thought they really missed him up front today.

Tyler Thackerson looked both good and bad at different times today. I think getting all these reps being the one to run the two minute drill to lead the team to a come-from-behind win was good for Thackerson's maturity and therefore good for the Eagles. You can tell he's a talented guy but just needs experience.

I have never once made disparaging remarks about the officiating but I thought it was pretty bad. There was one slobber-nocker that Peebles unleashed on a receiver as he went out of bounds that got flagged as a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty for an out of bounds hit. It happened right in front of me and the "H" judge and the guy was not even close to being out of bounds. It was a good clean football hit. I think it got flagged because it was so uber-violent. Football is sometimes violent though. It is after all, a contact sport. There were no whistles on the scrums and a lot of players (mostly linemen) got hurt. The officiating was bush-league.
    Last edited by Kit-Carson; 11-09-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

It must be contagious I hear that a certain D back who reportedly has an injured paw is actually sidelined for breaking team rules.

Comment

Seemed like Limestone made some adjustments, and huge credit to them because they didn't roll over when down 3 scores in the 1st quarter. Their adjustments, coupled with the up-tempo certainly gave them the momentum and they rode that wave until the Eagles could settle in and get the job done. I was pleased with Thackerson's performance. He ran the option great, made good decisions for the most part, but certainly room to improve. But at the end of the day nothing really to complain about. Backup QB has to play the whole game and facilitate a game-winning drive, on the road, to a team that was hyped up for senior day. I'll take it!

The officials should've nipped the "chippiness" in the bud sooner too, but Eagles need to play with some more composure. Heading into the final week against a rival you've got to keep your cool.

Comment

Originally posted by CNC Maniac 1 View Post
          Seemed like Limestone made some adjustments, and huge credit to them because they didn't roll over when down 3 scores in the 1st quarter. Their adjustments, coupled with the up-tempo certainly gave them the momentum and they rode that wave until the Eagles could settle in and get the job done. I was pleased with Thackerson's performance. He ran the option great, made good decisions for the most part, but certainly room to improve. But at the end of the day nothing really to complain about. Backup QB has to play the whole game and facilitate a game-winning drive, on the road, to a team that was hyped up for senior day. I'll take it!

The officials should've nipped the "chippiness" in the bud sooner too, but Eagles need to play with some more composure. Heading into the final week against a rival you've got to keep your cool.
          All well said.

Comment

Sorry, I've been absent from the board for a few days. Had to travel for work again this week.

With kickoff being moved up to 1:00 I was able to take in this game before jetting off to Wingate. I did not expect this to be one of the most interesting and entertaining games of the SAC season and definitely not after C-N jumped out to a 24-0 lead! More than anything else, you have to give a lot of credit to the Limestone players for having the resolve to fight their way back into the game and eventually came all the way back to take the lead. I was very surprised to see in the final stats that Limestone had only 134 rushing yards because it seemed like a lot more than that. Maybe they just picked up big gains in the right spots, but I felt like the running game was very effective in the second half and agree with Kit-Carson that the Eagles' D looked tired late in the game.

Turnovers were huge. I don't think Limestone would have been able to come back without the two second quarter turnovers that set the Saints up in plus territory. Similarly, if Limestone had not fumbled the ball back after recovering that pooch kick off, Carson-Newman might have made the final scoring drive.

I tweeted that it had become a very emotional game in the second half. It did get chippy, but I think it was coming from both teams really wanting it that badly. It was great to see a team with a losing record play so hard this late in the season. Limestone's rally was impressive. Likewise, Carson-Newman faced a lot of adversity but found a way to overcome it and make the plays they needed to win the game. That too was very impressive.

RE: Thackerson, the two turnovers were extremely costly but i thought he played well. He seemed to make good reads, hit a few big pass plays and rushed for 60 yards. He led the offense to 509 yards, 42 points and the game winning drive in the final three minutes. Its hard to ask more than that of a player coming off the bench to make his first start.

Comment

Great take on the game Chuck.

Comment

Chuck, well said. I agree with all that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X