Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LR Passing Defense

So the UNCP game wasn't the end of the world and we are VERY clearly already in playoff mode, just talk to anyone at the stadium yesterday. BUT, UNCP really torched us through the air. I've been concerned all season our passing D might not be were it needs to be and this greatly increased my worries. Hopefully everyone will just keep trying to run the ball against us, because thats worked sooo well so far.

Comment

One problem I need to mention is we are being held and even tackled on pass rush. The officiating is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Everett View Post
        One problem I need to mention is we are being held and even tackled on pass rush. The officiating is not good.
        This is very accurate and happened a lot in the Wingate and Mars Hill games as well, but the truth is its been happening and they aren't calling it so we have to adjust. We can complain about it all we want but they won't change the score. What I'm trying to get at is after next week it gets a lot harder. A team like Bowie could really challenge us (sorry, but I'm just not that worried about our first round game, if we even have one) and the team we all want/expect a shot at, Valdosta, will change the play at the line based on our defense. We have to be able to pick up WRs in a hurry, and teams like Mars Hill have had people open all over the field. If we don't improve here our offense is going to have to put up a TON of points for us to beat these types of teams.

Comment

With UNCP racking up over 500 yard of offence, and more first downs 27-20 than the Bears, either the Braves just got a lot better, or the Bear's D is on a downward slide. The Bears will need to make some big adjustments to be competitive against some of the better playoff teams which light up the skies with their precise passing games and their fast and athletic receivers. I'm sure other team's coaches are studying the tapes of the UNCP - LR game.

Comment

The UNCP line was massive and the QB was one of the most elusive and accurate that LR has faced. He had lots of time on most of the plays or found a way to escape and make big plays. I agree the DB group struggled with UNCP's really tall receiving core that seemed to make all the plays against the smaller LR DBs. Hoping LR can step it up going forward in this area or the season could end in disappointment. We need to get weapons back on the offensive side of the ball as well, not able to mix it up as much as we need to recently.

Comment

UNCP was able to get their passes off before the Bears were able to put any pressure on their QB. He's a good one and the Braves lost by a similar score to Wingate 48-38. Our defense gave too much cushion at first and then when we pressed them, UNCP made plays on just throwing it deep and their WRs running to the ball. There were at least 3 plays where this worked for them until the Bears pass rush and pass defense starting shutting down the Braves in the 4th QTR. UNCP's QB was high on Coach Cronic's recruiting list when he first came to LR, but the kid wanted to play closer to home(Wilmington). We miss Dugger at Safety and #9 Williams has been alternating lately, I'm not sure why. The Bears will get it together and get after the next team, that's all we can expect right now.
              It's a great day to be a Bear!

Comment

Well now E74 looks like the Bears held the team that beat CN to 13 points in winning the championship again. Seems like it was said the Bears would finish third at best because there offense would not be as good this year. Your crystal ball should be trashed. We did have a problem with Pembroke passing that can be attributable to All American Kyle Duggar being out and also there qb was having a great day with his receivers making several exceptional catches. We did have five starters out but most teams experience that this time of year. Looking forward to what should be back to back undefeated seasons in the SAC and an undefeated regular season for the second time in five years. Hopefully our conference does great in the region playoffs.

Comment

Well now E74 looks like the Bears held the team that beat CN to 13 points in winning the championship again. Seems like it was said the Bears would finish third at best because there offense would not be as good this year. Your crystal ball should be trashed.
                  Really? Post like this are why more and more people leave the board. Them beating Wingate (and beating CN) has absolutely nothing to do with his point. Pembroke's offense had a field day, Duggar or not, against a very good LR defense. I wouldn't even say he really said anything THAT bad/untrue about the Bears performance. Teams that will run into LR in the playoffs will look at the film and see what Pembroke did to have success. And unless Cronic and the defensive coaches decide to throw the season or the Bears completely forget that how to play football, they will watch it too and make any and all adjustments necessary.

Bears have had a great season. I think the Bears, especially if they can somehow manage to get the #1 seed back from Valdosta, are going to be a tough out in the postseason. Going undefeated in any conference on any level back to back seasons is a tough feat to accomplish. But the Bears aren't going to be content with just a conference title. I'm sure they want another shot at Valdosta, a little redemption you could say.
                  Last edited by canadarican; 11-11-2019, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Downward spiral on defense after holding Wingate to 13 points was asking for the response posted. We had several players on defense hurt. 74 has history on here of offending people. I should not have responded to his Downward spiral insult.

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with downward spiral either. That's debatable. Have the Bears played their best defense the past 3 weeks? Not necessarily, but they do what they have to to win, and that's the most important stat in football. Good teams win ugly.

Comment

We both know Limestone is a tough out. Pembroke lost three close games and there qb is just as good as Grayson our qb. All good teams have close games like Clemson vs UNC. If we get Duggar back for playoffs and three of our starting running backs we will be a tough out Evan for Valdosta.

Comment

We'll see about Valdosta, who we EXPECT another shot at. We have to make sure we aren't looking ahead to that game or we'll lose in the second round. Sorry, but we just aren't losing to a SIAC team even if we play badly.

My point is based on Valdosta, and Bowie a little too. Mars Hill had a good day against us and we didn't have many injuries then. Those teams can pick us apart if we aren't better in coverage. I'm still not convinced we are actually trying our hardest yet, even in the Wingate game it looked like we had some lazy plays. I think that changes after next week.

Comment

Well now E74 looks like the Bears held the team that beat CN to 13 points in winning the championship again. Seems like it was said the Bears would finish third at best because there offense would not be as good this year. Your crystal ball should be trashed. We did have a problem with Pembroke passing that can be attributable to All American Kyle Duggar being out and also there qb was having a great day with his receivers making several exceptional catches. We did have five starters out but most teams experience that this time of year. Looking forward to what should be back to back undefeated seasons in the SAC and an undefeated regular season for the second time in five years. Hopefully our conference does great in the region playoffs.

LOL, Well ole well M.E., simply responding to the truthful fact as posted by a Bear's fan, " BUT, UNCP really torched us through the air. I've been concerned all season our passing D might not be were it needs to be and this greatly increased my worries."

You see, I completely understand the frustration and embarrassment when the Bear D's shortcomings were fully exposed in front of everyone's eyes on that chilly afternoon when the Bear's coverage was slipping. Heck, that s#!& happens.

Fact is, LR's D did have a lot of trouble with UNCP's young O-Line and Sophomore QB, and yes, the Braves were also dealing with some of their own key players being out with injuries . Now, lean in a little bit closer as I share a few facts about what you may face in the future. Valdosta State's well seasoned, big, and talented O-Line has around twice as many upperclassmen as the young UNCP team. So their very talented double threat QB just may have all day to throw to the Blazers stable of excellent WR's along with their RBs slipping out of the back field, when he's not rambling down the field on his own. VSU's Redshirt Junior QB Rogan Wells presently has 2,121 yards passing with a completion rate of right at 74%, and 563 yards rushing, averaging 8.3 yards a carry.

Before the last grains of hope slips through your fingers, just a reminder that the Blazers torched the Bears (even after calling the dogs off) less than a year ago 61-21 and outgunning the over matched LR team 597 to 319 in total yards.

So, while the Bear's offense has done pretty well this season, thus far, and you pointing that out just impresses the he// out of me, I don't believe anyone needs a Nastrodumbazz crystal ball to predict what this year's potential match up may entail.

Have fun this Saturday against the Indians, and enjoy the moment. Congratulations on your good regular season, and best of luck in the Playoffs, also keep posting, cause I ain't going nowhere;)

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X