Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingate Bulldogs - now in the catbird seat in the SAC

At this point (based on program stability) I would say that Wingate will have an edge in the upper echelon of SAC football, especially for next season and maybe for an extended time. The potential for any kind of future success is a huge mystery for both LR and CN. We may see Mars Hill, Newberry, or Tusculum make a move towards the top of the conference, but again, at this time, I have my doubts that we will see more than two (maybe less) teams making the D2 Football Playoffs this coming season.

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
    At this point (based on program stability) I would say that Wingate will have an edge in the upper echelon of SAC football, especially for next season and maybe for an extended time. The potential for any kind of future success is a huge mystery for both LR and CN. We may see Mars Hill, Newberry, or Tusculum make a move towards the top of the conference, but again, at this time, I have my doubts that we will see more than two (maybe less) teams making the D2 Football Playoffs this coming season.
    Not just stability. The Cronic offense, the flexbone, and the CN Veer which all will be gone, makes it easier for Wingate.

Comment

Someone said CN and LR were canceling their season next year. People are shocked that LR would do this because they are already ranked second in the nation in one poll. Since both teams are changing offense schemes the alumni are suggesting dropping to division three. Of course with global warming increasing all football might be canceled.

Comment

Yeah.... no they aren't. They aren't the most talented, and their offense has some serious problems when playing talented defenses. They're a good team but they won't be the favorite heading into the season. I expect LR to make it next season, Wingate as well, not sure about CN I don't know much about Clowney. We'll see. People keep saying "change of style" but Cronic WAS a change of style and won the SAC easily his first year so that's not a very good argument.

Comment

Originally posted by BearsLRU View Post
          Yeah.... no they aren't. They aren't the most talented, and their offense has some serious problems when playing talented defenses. They're a good team but they won't be the favorite heading into the season. I expect LR to make it next season, Wingate as well, not sure about CN I don't know much about Clowney. We'll see. People keep saying "change of style" but Cronic WAS a change of style and won the SAC easily his first year so that's not a very good argument.
          A depleted defense (check the stats, and who's not coming back), to many talented defectors, and a different offence philosophy will make things fairly difficult for LR this coming season season.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Everett View Post
            Someone said CN and LR were canceling their season next year. People are shocked that LR would do this because they are already ranked second in the nation in one poll. Since both teams are changing offense schemes the alumni are suggesting dropping to division three. Of course with global warming increasing all football might be canceled.
            Guess you were impressed with the LR switch to a conventional offense under Kellar. How did that work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by BearsLRU View Post
              Kellar was a change of style of offense. So, let me see, you won with the flexbone, and with the Wing-T, two unconventional offenses, bombed with kellar, and now what is this guy a spread guy? Good Luck. You officially look like everybody else. Only way we will know it's LR is the uniform colors.

Comment

I first signed on this list when my nephew was playing at Wingate so I came on as a Wingate fan. My nephew graduated Wingate and is now at the U of Richmond. I have continued to follow Wingate football and think highly of the coaching staff. Saying that, I have also become a student of SAC football and have friends at all of the SAC football playing schools as well as UNC-P and UNG.

I agree that Wingate will be a top team but I expect Lenoir Rhyne to return to the top spot. They have huge talent and once they adjust to the new coaching they will be formidable. Wingate will be "
                better" but they have lost a lot of experienced players. They broke in a good group last year to prepare and gain experience. We will see what transpires.

Carson Newman is never predictable and even moreso this coming year. I know Mike Clowney and he is a driven man. The talent pool is there.

This could well be the year that Tusculum charges to the front. They played the top teams fairly well last year. They always seem to have a good passing attack. Last year they showed they could run the ball. Defense was either real good or real bad. That will have to improve! I think they could be the Darkhorse that surprises us.

Newberry has some horses. Last year, if you remember, they started poorly, stumbled and fumbled but by season end they were competitive. I think they will be a lot better.

Mars Hill has an offense and most of it returns.

Comment

Comment

I think this is a silly argument to make. LR just hired one of (if not the) best coaches in division two, they have the best weight room facilities in the nation, and a top tier group of supporters backing them. I am slightly sympathetic to the argument that we've lost a few players and that will set the Bears back - but I don't think this argument holds too much water because of the aforementioned reasons. If you are a top division two/lower to mid level FCS talent from the southeast and you're considering SAC schools, LR is clearly far and away ahead of the pack. I have no doubt that the team will just reload and come out as strong as ever next season.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
                      I think this is a silly argument to make. LR just hired one of (if not the) best coaches in division two, they have the best weight room facilities in the nation, and a top tier group of supporters backing them. I am slightly sympathetic to the argument that we've lost a few players and that will set the Bears back - but I don't think this argument holds too much water because of the aforementioned reasons. If you are a top division two/lower to mid level FCS talent from the southeast and you're considering SAC schools, LR is clearly far and away ahead of the pack. I have no doubt that the team will just reload and come out as strong as ever next season.
                      We clearly have the best facilities in Division 2 and most FCS as well as many FBS institutions. We have the best coaches in Division 2 and the best support from our administration than any school. Many players at other SAC schools want to transfer to LRU. High School 3 and 4 star players line up to sign LOIs to attend our beautiful campus and outstanding athletic facility. Most of the SAC coaches write off the LR game as a loss because they know they can't compete with us. They have already engraved the name of Lenoir Rhyne on the 2021 national Championship trophy. Dabo wants Clemson to play us but fears losing to us. We are going to scrimmage several NFL teams to get ready for next season and they are afraid of us. Carson Newman and Wingate are so ashamed of losing to us that they are thinking of dropping to D3 to play Brevard instead of us.
                      Da Bears

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X