Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Bears

Yogi Barnette was a pretty good defensive lineman who sometimes went both ways. I think they recruited him out of Texas. That was several years after I left the Rhyne in 1962. Anyway he was tall about 6 foot five 270 something like that. I was selling Plymouths here in Hickory then. I was living in a rooming house over on the east side and eating pinto beans and cornbread cause those ugly Plymouths were hard to sell. Yogi had an old Plymouth and he brought it in for service so I got to know him. Now this was when Painter was head coach. I soon discovered that Yogi wasn't the brightest bulb on the hall. He and I talked football for about a half hour while his Plymouth was in the shop. I saw the boss coming and I knew he would bless me out for not being out on the lot selling cars so I pulled Yogi over and told him to act like he was wanting to trade cars cause the boss was fixing to chew my ass out. Yogi was a good actor and he soon was talking trade and how much boot and wanted to go for a test ride and the boss was all smiles shaking hands with everybody. The short version was me and Yogi went for a test ride and went over to the campus and Yogi picked up his girlfreind and we went on a tour of Hickory. We even bought some gas to keep riding. We went by the stadium and Yogi said "Stop, I'm late for workouts" and he got out and told his girlfriend to go with me and drive his old car back to near the gym where he parked. she said "ok". We got back to the dealership and I went inside to turn the keys in and the girl went around to the pickup area for the shop. well of course they wouldn't release the car until the bill was paid so she come running up to get me. I paid the bill and to cut to the chase the girl and I began dating. Yogi didn't care, he thought it was funny. He never paid me back for getting his car out. The girl and I ended up getting married, Yogi graduated and played football out west for some kind of pro team for a year. Then he went to work as a salesman for Proctor and Gamble. The girl and I stayed married for 6 years and decided to end it (which turned out good for both of us). Last night I got a call from her. She said Yogi got caught smuggling Marijuana and is in jail somewhere in Oklahoma.
    Da Bears

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X