Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom Meeting

Listened to recap of the Zoom meeting.....takeaways:

1--Mostly about dealing with COVID-19--could summarize everything, but the main point was that the conference is continuing to prepare to have games as scheduled, but Britz seemed pessimistic that a season would happen

2--Actively pursuing a 14th member to have two, seven team, divisions, expect public announcement in next few months

I know we've talked about it 3,000 times...but any W.A.G.'s on who team 14 would possibly be? I'm also trying to sort divisions in my head haha.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
      I know we've talked about it 3,000 times...but any W.A.G.'s on who team 14 would possibly be? I'm also trying to sort divisions in my head haha.
      Your guess is as good as mine! Maybe Barton would leave the Conference Carolinas now that they have football? Divisions would be fascinating, my first inclination would be to have South Carolina and Charlotte area schools (Anderson, Limestone, Coker, Newberry, Queens, Wingate) in a SAC South or Piedmont SAC and then the more northern teams (Catawba, LR, Mars Hill, CN, Tusculum, LMU, UVA Wise) in a SAC North or Mountain SAC. Fourteenth school gets added to the Piedmont SAC.

Comment

I was last on campus about a month ago discussing some possible upcoming work for the athletics department and while they were still preparing for the upcoming season at that point, they already sounded like they didn't think there would be a fall season (when it comes to football). Can't imagine their outlook has gotten any rosier with the uptick in cases since then. Wonder when the SAC will announce their plans.

Comment

Not really sure. I assume it will be a non-football school. With Anderson adding football it seems like 10 would be a good number for football. From CN's perspective, I would like to see either Lee, Lees-McRae or King. But for a dark horse candidate I would not be surprised to see Young Harris. Another more mainstream choice would be Belmont Abbey.

Comment

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post

Not really sure. I assume it will be a non-football school. With Anderson adding football it seems like 10 would be a good number for football. From CN's perspective, I would like to see either Lee, Lees-McRae or King. But for a dark horse candidate I would not be surprised to see Young Harris. Another more mainstream choice would be Belmont Abbey.
            I cannot say anything specific nor will I, but I know for a fact it is not any of these schools or Barton.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post

Your guess is as good as mine! Maybe Barton would leave the Conference Carolinas now that they have football? Divisions would be fascinating, my first inclination would be to have South Carolina and Charlotte area schools (Anderson, Limestone, Coker, Newberry, Queens, Wingate) in a SAC South or Piedmont SAC and then the more northern teams (Catawba, LR, Mars Hill, CN, Tusculum, LMU, UVA Wise) in a SAC North or Mountain SAC. Fourteenth school gets added to the Piedmont SAC.
              A lot of the divisional alignment conversation depends on who #14 is too obviously. But those divisions are interesting for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post

My best guess is divisions will look as follows--I actually thought of the Piedmont and Mountain divisions as well. Seems to make sense:

Piedmont: Catawba, Coker, Limestone, Newberry, Queens, Wingate
                Mountain: Anderson, Carson-Newman, Lincoln Memorial, Mars Hill, Tusculum, Virginia-Wise

Lenoir-Rhyne is the tipping school and could go either way depending on the location of the new school.

Of course, the nostalgist in me would prefer to see:

Old School: Carson-Newman, Catawba, Lenoir-Rhyne, Mars Hill, Newberry, Tusculum, Wingate
                Newbies: Anderson, Coker, Limestone, Lincoln Memorial, Queens, Virginia-Wise, ?

Comment

Looking at a map of SAC locations there is a natural gap between Lenoir-Rhyne and Mars Hill that runs roughly parallel to the NC-TN state line with 8 schools to the east. If #14 is on the western side that seems like a logical division split; although it does mean shifting Lenoir-Rhyne west. What are the chances of either Campbellsville, Cumberlands (KY), Lindsey Wilson College, or Union College (KY) getting the last spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Looking at a map of SAC locations there is a natural gap between Lenoir-Rhyne and Mars Hill that runs roughly parallel to the NC-TN state line with 8 schools to the east. If #14 is on the western side that seems like a logical division split; although it does mean shifting Lenoir-Rhyne west. What are the chances of either Campbellsville, Cumberlands (KY), Lindsey Wilson College, or Union College (KY) getting the last spot?
                    Zero. That is a fact not opinion.

Comment

My guess is Erskine.

Comment

Zero. That is a fact not opinion.
                        Ok, that blows up my W.A.G.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Yeah, a while back I suggested that Union and Cumberlands together would be a good combo addition, but it got no traction with anyone else.

Comment

If you look at the D3 and NAIA schools that are already in states where the SAC has a presence and they have football, below are the different schools. None of the schools in North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee would excite me as new SAC members.

NORTH CAROLINA
                            Brevard (D3, USA South)
                            Greensboro (D3, USA South)
                            Guilford (D3, ODAC)
                            Methodist (D3, USA South)
                            North Carolina Wesleyan (D3, USA South)

St. Andrews (NAIA, Mid-South)

SOUTH CAROLINA
                            Allen (NAIA, Independent)

TENNESSEE
                            Maryville (D3, SAA)
                            Rhodes (D3, SAA)
                            Sewanee (D3, SAA)

Bethel (NAIA, Mid-South)
                            Cumberland (NAIA, Mid-South)

VIRGINIA
                            Averett (D3, USA South)
                            Bridgewater (D3, ODAC)
                            Christopher Newport (D3, NJAC)
                            Emory & Henry (D3, ODAC)
                            Ferrum (D3, ODAC)
                            Hampden-Sydney (D3, ODAC)
                            Randolph-Macon (D3, ODAC)
                            Shenandoah (D3, ODAC)
                            Southern Virginia (D3, ODAC)
                            Washington & Lee (D3, ODAC)

Bluefield (NAIA, Mid-South)

Comment

Not sure that I would want them as they are large and public, but Christopher Newport has to be looking to move as their conference is falling apart and football plays in the New Jersey Athletic Conference. Travel for them is currently a nightmare and makes trekking to LMU look like a walk in the park.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X