Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erskine is adding football, so that is a possibility. Allen is beginning the transition to DII NCAA, and is rumored to be a future part of SIAC.

Comment

Whoever is added and no matter how small, I hope the conference requires a minimum of 15 scholarships to start participation in football. The SAC doesn't need another Brevard situation just for patsy scheduling and cheap D2 in-conference wins.

Comment

Allen wont even be in the SIAC long. Based on what I've heard from others, it's a school closure waiting to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post
          Not sure that I would want them as they are large and public, but Christopher Newport has to be looking to move as their conference is falling apart and football plays in the New Jersey Athletic Conference. Travel for them is currently a nightmare and makes trekking to LMU look like a walk in the park.
          Christopher Newport is looking and thinking D2. However, here's the football future for the SAC. L-R, Wingate, Mars Hill, Catawba, Barton, Newberry, Limestone, Erskine, Anderson, Tusculum, CN, Uva-Wise. With Barton and Erskine added it jumps to an 11 team conference playing 10 conference games and 1 OOC. Add Anderson, and you have an 11 game schedule with 12 teams. Scheduling problems ended. There would be no OOC, which may hurt the Gulf South who currently has 8. And if you add Christopher Newport, there is always UNCP to get to 14 for football, with two 7 team divisions, and crossover games. Since this is a football site, didn't even look at basketball teams. Since Chowan is also a Conference Carolinas member, like several others, not sure if it's worth prying them out of the CIAA. The SAC could be a Virginia, NC, SC, Tennessee conference.

Comment

Chowan is full Conference Carolinas now - moved on from the CIAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

Christopher Newport is looking and thinking D2. However, here's the football future for the SAC. L-R, Wingate, Mars Hill, Catawba, Barton, Newberry, Limestone, Erskine, Anderson, Tusculum, CN, Uva-Wise. With Barton and Erskine added it jumps to an 11 team conference playing 10 conference games and 1 OOC. Add Anderson, and you have an 11 game schedule with 12 teams. Scheduling problems ended. There would be no OOC, which may hurt the Gulf South who currently has 8. And if you add Christopher Newport, there is always UNCP to get to 14 for football, with two 7 team divisions, and crossover games. Since this is a football site, didn't even look at basketball teams. Since Chowan is also a Conference Carolinas member, like several others, not sure if it's worth prying them out of the CIAA. The SAC could be a Virginia, NC, SC, Tennessee conference.
              I dont think so on Barton and Erskine.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
                Yes, in all sports but football.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
                  My understanding is that Chowan has reached out in the past and the SAC was not interested. But things may have changed.

Comment

So is the MEC the only neighboring D2 conference that hasn't canceled fall sports yet? Not looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

I dont think so on Barton and Erskine.
                      Where do Barton and Erskine go? Or does Conference Carolinas have a football league? There was a rumor at one point that Shorter from the GSC may be interested

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

Where do Barton and Erskine go? Or does Conference Carolinas have a football league? There was a rumor at one point that Shorter from the GSC may be interested
                        I'm not sure where they would go, but based on information I have neither fit the criteria. And Shorter would be a terrible add. I'd rather have Brevard back than Shorter. Shorter also doesn't meet criteria.

Comment

Rather than repeating everything, I'll just link to this short thread about Conference Carolinas Football. It includes a link to an article on Barton pushing for the formation of CC football.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                            Rather than repeating everything, I'll just link to this short thread about Conference Carolinas Football. It includes a link to an article on Barton pushing for the formation of CC football.
                            Interesting. However, I just do not see why any current SAC schools or North Greenville would want to leave and join a conference carolina's football league.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                              Interesting. However, I just do not see why any current SAC schools or North Greenville would want to leave and join a conference carolina's football league.
                              I don't see any SAC schools joining the CC either. But, the CC is 1 team away from being able to sponsor football after UNC-Pembroke joins. North Greenville will not have a choice on what conference they are in if the CC adds football, unless they join another conference entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

I don't see any SAC schools joining the CC either. But, the CC is 1 team away from being able to sponsor football after UNC-Pembroke joins. North Greenville will not have a choice on what conference they are in if the CC adds football, unless they join another conference entirely.
                                Pembroke is keeping football in the MEC at least for the time being but I think I get what you are saying. I don't think that relationship last long. I hoped for years the SAC would have added both the Braves and the Crusaders, but I digress. Not to mention we have had that conversation about a couple quintilian times here on the SAC board.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X