Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In today's times with schools dropping sports and even closing completely makes it so much harder to provide future movement. In Division 1, the Atlantic Sun and the CCSA were going to merge and form an extra conference. They were able to do because of the number of schools in the ASUN for a specific amount of time. When New Jersey IT jumped to a conference that was more their footprint with schools in the northeast, it has thrown the ASUN's plans into the fire. At the current rate even the large schools are uncertain about the place sports play in the school experience. Hopefully this vision is not for too much longer because what would we have nothing to discuss.

Comment

At this time, the SAC's conference's 'no minimum scholarships' requirements is much more attractive to D-3 programs that are considering moving up to D-2, (they can actually transition one scholarship at a time). On the other hand, Conference Carolinas has implemented recommended NCAA Division -2 scholarship standards in the past to their sports, which was around the same time Anderson, Queens, and Coker jumped ship to the SAC where no requirements were / are in place. Chances are, and history has proven that when Conference Carolinas starts football, some minimum scholarship requirements will more than likely be put in place. The good news is that depending on Conference Carolina's level of scholarship requirements, Limestone and Anderson will probably opt to not make any moves, and remain with the SAC.

Comment

I don't think that either Anderson or Limestone (or Queens or Coker for that matter) who are former Conference Carolinas members are likely to jump back to their former conference at all.

Exactly how would the existence of a _minimum_ scholarship requirement make that more likely? Exactly what would make them want to go back anyway?

Comment

Conference Carolinas requires it's members to be more in line with the NCAA's suggested recommendations for D-2 athletic scholarships, so as compared to the SAC (with no required minimums), it cost on average the Conference Carolinas members more per sport. This is one major reason those schools left Conference Carolinas, so I'm pretty confident that they will not be going back.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Not necessarily. Frostburg State played a full MEC schedule in their first year of provisional D2 membership.
            I guess it depends on the conference, because other transitioning D2 football programs didn't play a full league slate during their respective Year One seasons. I seem to recall Davenport being in that scenario when they moved from NAIA to D2; Davenport played a mixed NAIA/NCAA football schedule in Year One (2016), then began playing a full GLIAC slate in Year Two (2017). Mind you, the membership process has changed over the past few years, so I'm just going by my recollections.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Is the Carolinas Conference actually planning to start sponsoring football, or is this just speculation? Is there any verifying source or official documentation of this anywhere? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule View Post
                Is the Carolinas Conference actually planning to start sponsoring football, or is this just speculation? Is there any verifying source or official documentation of this anywhere? Just curious.
                There was an article in the local paper for Barton quoting the AD (it is several month's old and I can't put my finger on it now). It indicated that they needed 6 schools for the conference to add football and they were currently at 5 (UNCP, Chowan, North Greenville, Barton and Erskine). It indicated the conference was looking to add football, but gave no indication how they were getting to 6 schools.
                Last edited by cneagle99; 09-10-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post

There was an article in the local paper for Barton quoting the AD (it is several month's old and I can't put my finger on it now). It indicated that they needed 6 schools for the conference to add football and they were currently at 5 (UNCP, Chowan, North Greenville, Barton and Erskine). It indicated the conference was looking to add football, but gave no indication how they were getting to 6 schools.
                  This article from "The Wake Weekly" in June might be what you are looking for but it's behind a paywall now. Bulldogs commence barking for Conference Carolinas football

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

This article from "The Wake Weekly" in June might be what you are looking for but it's behind a paywall now. Bulldogs commence barking for Conference Carolinas football
                    Yup, that's it. I knew it had "barking" in the title, but couldn't find it. Thanks.

Comment

Comment

E&H would be a nice addition. Even though they are a D-3 program, their average football home attendance numbers are larger than most of the SAC schools. Also, with the SAC's leniency on football scholarships, with no minimums, E&H can go from D-3 to D-2 with only an investment of a scholarship or two.

Comment

Pretty sure you are right.

Assume the divisions would be:

EAST (PIEDMONT)-Anderson, Catawba, Coker, Limestone, Newberry, Queens, Wingate
                          WEST (MOUNTAIN)-Carson-Newman, Emory & Henry, Lenoir-Rhyne, Lincoln Memorial, Mars Hill, Tusculum, Virginia-Wise

Comment

Pretty sure you are right.

Assume the divisions would be:

EAST (PIEDMONT)-Anderson, Catawba, Coker, Limestone, Newberry, Queens, Wingate
                            WEST (MOUNTAIN)-Carson-Newman, Emory & Henry, Lenoir-Rhyne, Lincoln Memorial, Mars Hill, Tusculum, Virginia-Wise
                            Looking at the schools on a map, it would seem to make more since if Lenoir-Rhyne was in the East, it is a bit of an outlier in the Western Division. To fix this when moving to 16 schools I would look for two more in the western area. One school with football and one without. There would be five possible football schools to choose from:

NAIA: Bluefield, Cumberlands, Pikeville & Union
                            D3: Maryville

Maryville would fit best geographically, but Cumberlands may be a better option as it has a slightly bigger enrollment than the rest.

For the non-football school, I would want to see King as it is geographically in the center, but other options would be Lees-McRae, Milligan and Montreat.

Comment

Looking at the schools on a map, it would seem to make more since if Lenoir-Rhyne was in the East, it is a bit of an outlier in the Western Division. To fix this when moving to 16 schools I would look for two more in the western area. One school with football and one without. There would be five possible football schools to choose from:

NAIA: Bluefield, Cumberlands, Pikeville & Union
                              D3: Maryville

Maryville would fit best geographically, but Cumberlands may be a better option as it has a slightly bigger enrollment than the rest.

For the non-football school, I would want to see King as it is geographically in the center, but other options would be Lees-McRae, Milligan and Montreat.
                              EAST (PIEDMONT)-Anderson, Catawba, Coker, Limestone, Newberry, Queens, Wingate and Lenoir Rhyne
                              WEST (MOUNTAIN)-Carson-Newman, Emory & Henry, Lincoln Memorial, Mars Hill, Tusculum, Virginia-Wise

yep, make more sense in the east footprint
                              Da Bears

Comment

Originally posted by Ursidae View Post

EAST (PIEDMONT)-Anderson, Catawba, Coker, Limestone, Newberry, Queens, Wingate and Lenoir Rhyne
                                WEST (MOUNTAIN)-Carson-Newman, Emory & Henry, Lincoln Memorial, Mars Hill, Tusculum, Virginia-Wise

yep, make more sense in the east footprint
                                But to make that work, the conference footprint will need to shift to the west. As of now, LR would be in the western division.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X