Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LR 27 - Newberry 20

Bears squeak out an ugly double overtime win against the Wolves. A few things to note from the LR perspective.

- Story of the game was no redshirt senior QB Grayson Willingham and no junior QB Gunnar Anderson for the Bears. With either of these guys in the game we likely aren't talking about a ballgame that was as close as it was. True freshman Sean White (not the snowboarder) started at QB and had a game that he would probably like to take back. Threw 3 interceptions and never seemed totally comfortable during regulation. He did redeem himself in overtime by throwing what eventually was the game winner. Good experience for the young guy, he'll learn from this game.

- True freshman RB Dwayne McGee had 160 yards rushing on 30 attempts (5.3 per carry). He is a small guy and bounces around quite a bit in the box. You can tell he has that rare combination of explosion and power - reminds me of Ray Rice at his peak with the way he runs the ball. McGee was LR's primary offensive weapon on the day and was an automatic 6 yards every time he touched the ball. Wingate and Carson-Newman beware.

- The defense was outstanding, not just good, OUTSTANDING. They held Newberry's QB (who is VERY good) to under 200 yards offense and only one explosive play. The Bears opened the game with a few question marks on defense, particularly at the linebacker position where they started three players who have not been regular starters - true freshman Jon Ross Maye, transfer freshman Percy King, and former special team standout Preston Joseph. Maye really stood out to me, finishing with 14 tackles and was a stalwart on the unit who really gave Newberry's running attack no room to breathe. If this game and the fact that he is a high school 6A all state performer from GA are any indicator to how he good he is, then I would predict this kid is going to be a perennial all SAC and national performer. Props to the young guy!

- Special teams came to play. This was a strong suit for the Bears last year, and they proved their strength again today with a punt block for TD, multiple impressive returns, and 2/3 on field goals.

Last thing to note. I really hope Newberry works on their camera quality. I understand that it is probably a student run production, but with the game on the line we need to be able to see what is going on with the play (and please get rid of that bizarre 20 yard line camera). I enjoyed Newberry's commentators and I always enjoy cheering for our fellow Lutheran SAC school (when they aren't playing LR).

Go Bears!

I saw the last minute and OTs. Yes, I couldn't see what happened on the last play. Those four straight time outs at the end of regulations sure dragged things out.

Comment

Agreed. I thought it was a rule that a team couldn't call two or more timeouts in a row. By the time it finally ended I'm sure Allbaugh was in the headspace that he was just going to end the game no matter what. Thought the better strategy would be to let the play run after two timeouts when the kicker is expecting the TO whistle to come. Worked out for the Wolves.

Comment

I like ugly wins. Good teams win the ugly games. The offensive struggles were not a surprise. Because of graduations and at least three transfers I can think of, there were a lot of new, young faces in the lineup. On top of that, the top two quarterbacks had to sit out and a freshman with no college experience started. Oh, and it was the first game with a new coaching staff. Yeah, it was ugly but man, that was a win to be proud of for LR. They really had to gut that out. I agree with BEARS and tweeted this on Friday night, the defense is GOOD. A lot of players stood out but Fr. LB Percy King made a big impression. LR proved they are still the team to beat in the SAC. That said, it was also a good showing for Newberry. They rose to the moment several times in the game and did a wonderful job of bouncing back from the special teams and defensive touchdowns they allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
          I like ugly wins.
          Chuck, thanks for posting the sites for games on Twitter. It is fun to see some teams that I wouldn't ordinarily get a chance to watch.

Comment

Agree the camera work was terrible, if they are not going to let fans into the games they need to insure that the video is suitable for fans to enjoy. Has anyone ever heard why the LR players were not available for the game, was it COVID or something else. None of the articles/post that I have read mention the cause for the players being out.

Comment

Originally posted by 87Bear View Post
              Agree the camera work was terrible, if they are not going to let fans into the games they need to insure that the video is suitable for fans to enjoy. Has anyone ever heard why the LR players were not available for the game, was it COVID or something else. None of the articles/post that I have read mention the cause for the players being out.
              Covid Protocols. Either a positive test or the result of contact tracing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X