Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carson-Newman 4OT victory at UVA Wise

If you watched this game (and I hope you did because it was quite entertaining) what did you think of Carson-Newman offensively? They ran a lot of the traditional veer but also used 3 and 4 wideouts formations more frequently than I have seen from them. They passed the ball 38 times, and according to the pre-game notes, the last time the Eagles threw the ball more then 35 times was in 1978. Four overtime periods can skew the stats a bit, but throwing the ball was definitely part of the game plan. It seems the approach is to run the veer with Tyler Thackerson and switch it up with Trey Mitchell throwing the ball. Both were effective and should only get better so It will be interesting to watch over the next couple of weeks to see how it evolves. I would love to hear some thoughts from the CN fans that were watching.

Was really interested in the offseason to see what CN would do offensively. Not sure there is an identity there yet. I thought the offense in the shotgun with the multiple receiver set and the transfer from ETSU was more effective. I think CN has the skill positions to run this more open offense, but not necessarily the O line yet as they are very young and recruited for the veer offense. I didn't feel the veer was effective at all to be honest.

I did notice the CN all world kicker Nate Craft is no longer on the roster, although the Freshman did a really good job, and Braxton Westfield doesn't appear to be playing this spring, but CN looks really deep at WR, maybe saving him for the fall.

It appears Clowney is using the Spring as an extended spring practice, which is probably the correct approach. Honestly the split back veer is an offense you have to be committed to and really rep in practice, I'd like to see CN decide on their identity and go full speed into it.

Defensively CN played fairly well against eh run, but you could tell the DB's still need some work.

Next 3 weeks should be interesting, but I'm not sure CN makes the championship game.

Comment

I watched a lot of the game and it was certainly entertaining. Thank you to the SAC for giving us some D2 football in the spring.

Comment

When the first two plays of the game were pistol formation hand off and a shotgun jet sweep, respectively, and both plays went for a first down, I was very surprised, excited, and somewhat unsure what was going to happen the rest of the game! We knew there were going to be some change ups from the traditional veer, but keeping elements of it obviously because of the players that are already there. It will evolve more. Thackerson can throw the ball too, but Mitchell certainly had the better day with throwing. Perhaps Wise was just ready for the run.

Defense definitely showed that was missing 7 veterans, but they also came through when needed. Wise is a much better team than in 2019 I think, and Eagles are very green. Still think the spring season is wide open. And while every team still wants to get the Spring 2021 SAC Championship, it will be a gear up for a full fall slate in a few months.

Comment

In 2019 CN rushed for 464 yards, and won 42-7. In 2020, 145 yards rushing, and escaping with a 3 point win. Although each year is different, there are storm clouds over the horizon. CN has skill people, no doubt, but the veer caused significant problems to prepare for in a week. Now, CN is basically like everybody else. There has been a non-stop party at Wingate since the coaching changes at LR and CN. Now, we have our first view of CN. The party continues at Wingate. We shall see how CN progresses, as well as LR, who played a close game. Great opportunity now for SAC teams to close the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by CNC Maniac 1 View Post
            When the first two plays of the game were pistol formation hand off and a shotgun jet sweep, respectively, and both plays went for a first down, I was very surprised, excited, and somewhat unsure what was going to happen the rest of the game! We knew there were going to be some change ups from the traditional veer, but keeping elements of it obviously because of the players that are already there. It will evolve more. Thackerson can throw the ball too, but Mitchell certainly had the better day with throwing. Perhaps Wise was just ready for the run.

Defense definitely showed that was missing 7 veterans, but they also came through when needed. Wise is a much better team than in 2019 I think, and Eagles are very green. Still think the spring season is wide open. And while every team still wants to get the Spring 2021 SAC Championship, it will be a gear up for a full fall slate in a few months.
            I think so too and it will be interesting to see how they look over the next couple of weeks. Carson-Newman has some work to do on defense, but UVA Wise being better may have a had a lot to do with how Saturday's game played out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post
              In 2019 CN rushed for 464 yards, and won 42-7. In 2020, 145 yards rushing, and escaping with a 3 point win. Although each year is different, there are storm clouds over the horizon. CN has skill people, no doubt, but the veer caused significant problems to prepare for in a week. Now, CN is basically like everybody else. There has been a non-stop party at Wingate since the coaching changes at LR and CN. Now, we have our first view of CN. The party continues at Wingate. We shall see how CN progresses, as well as LR, who played a close game. Great opportunity now for SAC teams to close the gap.
              The score really was not indicative of the game. CN should have had, at least, two additional touchdowns, but the officiating was horrendous. The DBs were allowed to hold the receivers and PI on too many plays, negating those scores. CNs DB played the better game, but finally understood nothing was going to be called so they tightened up late in the game, But the CNCEagle97 is correct, in that Clowney is using these games as practice. He said so much so the following day. No doubt they are playing to win, however, I think you'll see more players even play if the score widens. Tough break for the freshman OL Colt Sinor, he would have helped the OL for sure. Prayers for complete healing.

Comment

Partying at Wingate might be why they've won 2 league titles in Reichs 20 years

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X