Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post

Yes, there will be divisional play with championship game last week of the season. Wonder what the plan is for 2024 when Anderson starts football, add someone else, CC to have football? Remove one of the associates? Maybe they are expecting a school to leave the conference by 2024.
    Or, the SAC adds a new member by, oh, 2022...

https://emoryhenry.prestosports.com/...20210709ins1ja

So, when Anderson starts football in 2024, that brings the SAC to 12 (presuming ConCar doesn't start football by then, hence ending the Barton/Erskine associate memberships) with the addition of Emory & Henry from 2022 onward.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Or, the SAC adds a new member by, oh, 2022...

https://emoryhenry.prestosports.com/...20210709ins1ja

So, when Anderson starts football in 2024, that brings the SAC to 12 (presuming ConCar doesn't start football by then, hence ending the Barton/Erskine associate memberships) with the addition of Emory & Henry from 2022 onward.
      They have 12 football schools in 2022 and 2023. In 2024 Anderson is added, which makes 13 if the associates are retained.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

They have 12 football schools in 2022 and 2023. In 2024 Anderson is added, which makes 13 if the associates are retained.
        Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I have to think that the Conference Carolinas schools want to break off and play their own conference schedule. Eksine, Chowan, UNC Pembroke, North Greenville, and maybe the Peach Belt football schools could easily make their own conference schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

I have to think that the Conference Carolinas schools want to break off and play their own conference schedule. Eksine, Chowan, UNC Pembroke, North Greenville, and maybe the Peach Belt football schools could easily make their own conference schedule.
            Let's add Barton College into that equation, they are also a dedicated member of Conference Carolinas.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Let's add Barton College into that equation, they are also a dedicated member of Conference Carolinas.
              I knew I forgot one. But ya, further reinforces the point. the CC will end up splitting off a lot of these schools.

Comment

Unless I missed something, none of the current Peach Belt Conference schools sponsor football (UNC Pembroke is now a full ConfCar member). Even so, UNCP was the only PBC member to sponsor football, hence their independent status prior to becoming an associate member of the Mountain East Conference.

As of right now, ConfCar has five schools which sponsor football - UNCP, Chowan (CIAA), North Greenville (GSC), Barton and Erskine (the latter two are playing independent schedules in 2021, but will be SAC associates in 2022).

Keep an eye on Bluefield State (WV), which is competing as a full D2 independent in all sports, but could very well be an ideal fit for SAC, ConfCar, MEC or even the CIAA (Bluefield State is considered an HBCU).

To that end, Bluefield State isn't too far from some of the western schools in the CIAA footprint (the trips to Bowie State and Lincoln might be a bit of a beating, though), and given their HBCU status, that might be a nice long-term home for them. A close second would be the MEC, especially if they end up losing a couple of football schools (Notre Dame-Ohio to the GMAC has been a long-running rumor for a few years and UNCP might end up in a new CC football league if/when that time ever comes); Bluefield State has a history with most of the current MEC members as part of the old WVIAC, though I'm not sure the interest is mutual from some of the MEC schools.

Comment

Unless I missed something, none of the current Peach Belt Conference schools sponsor football (UNC Pembroke is now a full ConfCar member). Even so, UNCP was the only PBC member to sponsor football, hence their independent status prior to becoming an associate member of the Mountain East Conference.

As of right now, ConfCar has five schools which sponsor football - UNCP, Chowan (CIAA), North Greenville (GSC), Barton and Erskine (the latter two are playing independent schedules in 2021, but will be SAC associates in 2022).

Keep an eye on Bluefield State (WV), which is competing as a full D2 independent in all sports, but could very well be an ideal fit for SAC, ConfCar, MEC or even the CIAA (Bluefield State is considered an HBCU).

To that end, Bluefield State isn't too far from some of the western schools in the CIAA footprint (the trips to Bowie State and Lincoln might be a bit of a beating, though), and given their HBCU status, that might be a nice long-term home for them. A close second would be the MEC, especially if they end up losing a couple of football schools (Notre Dame-Ohio to the GMAC has been a long-running rumor for a few years and UNCP might end up in a new CC football league if/when that time ever comes); Bluefield State has a history with most of the current MEC members as part of the old WVIAC, though I'm not sure the interest is mutual from some of the MEC schools.
                  My apologies, I was thinking there was still a PBC member who was holding out as a football associate in the SAC. I admittedly am much less familiar with these schools\conferences than the GLVC/GMAC/GLIAC part of the country.

On that note, I would have to say that the Bluefield State comments are interesting. They are a natural fit for the MEC, but the HBCU thing is a complicating factor. Central State and Kentucky State are both in the GMAC footprint but decide to play in the SIAC HBCU conference despite some very very long road trips.
                  Last edited by Uindy18; 07-14-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

A lot of potential on the horizon for the upcoming development of Conference Carolinas Football. Any addition of adding football from an existing Conference Carolinas member, from a Peach Belt School, a regional D-3 program deciding to move to D-2 (I.E. Methodist University), or a defection from the SAC (I.E. Limestone College, Newberry, or Wingate University) would make it possible. I see at least one of those scenarios coming to fruition in the very near future.

Comment

On that note, I would have to say that the Bluefield State comments are interesting. They are a natural fit for the MEC, but the HBCU thing is a complicating factor. Central State and Kentucky State are both in the GHAC footprint but decide to play in the SIAC HBCU conference despite some very very long road trips.
                      Some CIAA road trips would be surprisingly managable for Bluefield State compared to the longer SIAC road trips for Central State or Kentucky State. It's only 2:45 from Bluefield to Charlotte (Johnson C Smith) and Salisbury (Livingstone) and two hours to Winston-Salem State. Raleigh (Shaw/St. Aug's) is a little longer as it's about 3:30-3:45 from Bluefield.

Charleston/WV State are two hours away from Bluefield, and most of the other MEC rivals are about 3-4 hours away. Frostburg State, Wheeling and West Liberty are each 4:00-4:30 travel time from Bluefield, slightly less than the 4:30-4:45 travel time to Richmond (Virginia Union) or Petersburg (Virginia State). Granted, road trips to Bowie, Elizabeth City and Lincoln (which is between Philadelphia and Baltimore) are going to be rough, but travel times would seem to be similar for Bluefield between MEC and CIAA.

Contrast that to a nearly seven hour road trip for Central State (near Dayton) to their nearest football rival, Lane College, in Jackson, Tenn.

Also, West Virginia State is also an HBCU which competes in the MEC, so I don't think BSC's status as an HBCU would have as negative of an impact as one would think.

Comment

I don't see Limestone University up & leaving the SAC & returning to CC so soon after becoming a full SAC member but stranger things have happened.

Comment

Bluefield State joining the CIAA would put them in the same situation as Chowan was with more than 1/3 of their sports not sponsored by the CIAA. Meanwhile, the MEC sponsors all of Bluefield State's sports except bowling. The CC also sponsors all of the sports including bowling and Bluefield State would be the 6th football team needed for the CC to start sponsoring that sport
                          Last edited by Tech Boys; 07-15-2021, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                            Bluefield State joining the CIAA would put them in the same situation as Chowan was with more than 1/3 of their sports not sponsored by the CIAA. Meanwhile, the MEC sponsors all of Bluefield State's sports except bowling. The CC also sponsors of the sports including bowling and Bluefield State would be the 6th football team needed for the CC to start sponsoring that sport
                            I don't see CC as a viable option for Bluefield State, at least not for football, as the average travel time from Bluefield to each the five CC schools which sponsor football is in the 4-5 hour range.

Comment

I don't see CC as a viable option for Bluefield State, at least not for football, as the average travel time from Bluefield to each the five CC schools which sponsor football is in the 4-5 hour range.
                              That's the East-coaster in you. It's a very do-able drive. There are already several CC members who travel that distance in all their sports; the average miles is 200.4 with the longest at 428 miles which is just short of 7 hours. Everybody west of the Mississippi does the 4-5 hour range and more on a regular basis and not just in football.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

That's the East-coaster in you. It's a very do-able drive. There are already several CC members who travel that distance in all their sports; the average miles is 200.4 with the longest at 428 miles which is just short of 7 hours. Everybody west of the Mississippi does the 4-5 hour range and more on a regular basis and not just in football.
                                Probably so, but there's also the economic considerations at play as well. Those 4-5 hour road trips for a typical D2 football program aren't exactly cheap compared to a 2-3 hour drive. And to be honest, from what I can recall, a lot of the schools in West Virginia aren't exactly rolling in the dough (relatively speaking) like the Grand Valleys and Northwest Missouris of the D2 world.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X