Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAC Preseason picks from the conference

The South Atlantic Conference Announces 2021 Football Preseason Poll and Players to Watch List

https://thesac.com/sports/fball/2021...20210823d0b03p

2021 SAC Football Preseason Coaches Poll
    Rank School Points (First Place Votes)
    1. Lenoir-Rhyne 69 (5)
    2. Wingate 63 (1)
    3. Newberry 58 (1)
    4. Tusculum 52 (2)
    5. Carson-Newman 46
    6. Limestone 32
    7. Mars Hill 29
    8. UVA Wise 24
    9. Catawba 23

2021 SAC Football Players to Watch

Carson-Newman

RB - Troy Dendy
    WR - Braxton Westfield
    QB - Trey Mitchell

LB - Rondrow Peebles
    LB - Daniel Dixon-Brooks
    LB - Trayzel Jureidini-Wyche

K - Christian Erwin
    RS - Devon Moore
    LS - Andrew Bradshaw

Catawba

QB - Ken Avent
    WR - Kujuan Pryor
    OT - Demetrius Blackwell

DL - John Oxce
    S - D'Verick Daniel
    LB - Christian Bennett

K/P - Clayton Crile
    RS - Rasheed Singleton
    LS - Keaton Chamber

Lenoir-Rhyne

QB - Grayson Willingham
    WR - Dareke Young
    RB - D'Wayne McGee

DT - Dan Louba
    S - Eric Jackson
    DT - Amari Houston

K - Chase Allbaugh
    P - Michael Owen
    RS - Dre Lester

LimestoneMars Hill

QB - Jimmy Urzua
    TE - Ty Snelson
    WR - Marquis Williams

LB - Dexter Fitzpatrick
    LB - Landon Honeycutt
    DL - Tyler Sims

RS - Marquis Williams
    RS - CJ Thompson

Newberry

C - Alec Blackmon
    QB - Dre Harris
    RB - Mario Anderson

DB - Anthony Blue
    DE - Ty Kelly
    DT - Tyran Dixon

K - Carter Parrot
    P - Gibson Marsh

Tusculum

WR - Justice Parham
    WR - Derek Wright
    QB - Ivan Corbin

LB - Craig Watts
    DL - Nelson Louis
    DB - Jermaine Witherspoon

P - Andrew Cantrell
    RS - Tyler Burke
    RS - Jarvis Jones

UVA Wise

WR - Caleb Martin
    WR - Dorian Goddard
    TE - Keishoen Jarrett

DL - Rondre Knowles-Tenner
    DL - Chavon Fields
    LB - Deandre Williams

P - Drew Vermillion

Wingate

RB - Nijere Peoples
    QB - Shaw Crocker
    OL - Andrew Strickland

DT - Jordon Anderson
    LB - Jaquan Edwards
    DB - Romario Johnson

K - McLean Robertson
    P - Ethan Evans
    LS - Tucker Mullis

Well, I've seen Catawba fall from a contender in early 2000s, but now in the offender category. Ooucchh.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post
      Well, I've seen Catawba fall from a contender in early 2000s, but now in the offender category. Ooucchh.
      It's so sad. IMO they have one of the best stadiums and campuses in the conference - just need better funding. Coach Walker is a good coach (got good genes too, his son is a 4 star UGA commit), but has almost no money to give out the scholarships they need to compete with the top of the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post

has almost no money to give out the scholarships they need to compete with the top of the conference.
        IMO, schools and coaches are obligated to put their student athletes in a position to compete on a level playing field. In this situation, a move to D-3 my not only be the solution, but also an obligation. A perfect example is what Brevard is showing us. In their last 2 seasons in the SAC they were combined 1-20. They're settled into being D3 and are more competitive (8-2 last season), their fans, players, and coaches are fully enjoying football again.

Comment

I think that any decision about changing to D3 would have to consider the whole of the athletic program, and not just a particular sport.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
            I think that any decision about changing to D3 would have to consider the whole of the athletic program, and not just a particular sport.
            You have a good point. On the other hand, if you can't fund it to the level that's needed, well then maybe the school should make some tough decisions, and think about making some cuts.

Comment

Don't think Catawba athletics would be considering a move down. They are a perennial baseball national title contender and are in the process of completely redoing their stadium.

Comment

No way Catawba moving down is even remotely being considered. They have been down in football but I don't think they'll finish last in the conference this season. And even if they did I don't think any school would consider such a move only based on one sport, even if it's football.

That being said, I don't see much into athletics but from what I've seen in administration while doing some work for them in the past is a pretty big mess. I wouldn't be surprised if there were money problems (but again, I have no idea). I know some good people out in athletics and hope that if there are problems they get straightened out.

Comment

Carson-Newman dropped from #3 to #5 in this poll and Limestone rose from #8 to #6. Maybe there's hope for the Saints this season....

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                    Carson-Newman dropped from #3 to #5 in this poll and Limestone rose from #8 to #6. Maybe there's hope for the Saints this season....
                    I think Limestone has 5 winnable games on the schedule & I think they win 3 of them...I hope the team proves me wrong and wins more though.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post

It's so sad. IMO they have one of the best stadiums and campuses in the conference - just need better funding. Coach Walker is a good coach (got good genes too, his son is a 4 star UGA commit), but has almost no money to give out the scholarships they need to compete with the top of the conference.
                      As someone around the program the last few years I will disagree with your assessment of Curtis Walker. Alot of wasted talent the last few years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X