Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carson Newman Football

9 years ago, under Coach Spark's guidance, the Eagles averaged right at 40 points a game, and 378 yards a game rushing, Many described CN as a D2 Football Powerhouse back then,

Man have things changed.

The commitment to the offense has changed. Or, the trying to blend and change to fit in with their young coaching peers. Will still beat the teams they have better talent than, but, not the ones equal or better. Blaming it on the line is not realistic, in the veer you let people unblocked and read them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post
      The commitment to the offense has changed. Or, the trying to blend and change to fit in with their young coaching peers. Will still beat the teams they have better talent than, but, not the ones equal or better. Blaming it on the line is not realistic, in the veer you let people unblocked and read them.
      You can blame it on the line when you don't run the veer, and are starting a tight end at tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

You can blame it on the line when you don't run the veer, and are starting a tight end at tackle.
        True, but what happened in recruiting?????

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

True, but what happened in recruiting?????
          Apparently nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
            9 years ago, under Coach Spark's guidance, the Eagles averaged right at 40 points a game, and 378 yards a game rushing, Many described CN as a D2 Football Powerhouse back then,

Man have things changed.
            It hasn't been 9 years since C-N has been good, if that's what you are insinuating. The 2019 team was a very good team that just ran into a better L-R team in the postseason. Of course, not playing your best QB the entire 1st quarter had something to do with that as well.

I haven't liked what I've seen the first two games. It's been rough. If they lose to Wise this weekend then I'll vomit and panic.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

It hasn't been 9 years since C-N has been good, if that's what you are insinuating. The 2019 team was a very good team that just ran into a better L-R team in the postseason. Of course, not playing your best QB the entire 1st quarter had something to do with that as well.

I haven't liked what I've seen the first two games. It's been rough. If they lose to Wise this weekend then I'll vomit and panic.
              You're correct, the 2019 team was pretty good, but statistically not as good as the 2012 team. However, it's clear that this year's team is far far less competitive on the field, even though there's lots of talent on the team. This is a follow up to last season when it was announced that the Eagles had to cancel a game because on not having enough players in certain positions. That was embarrassing to say the least for the players, parents, alumni, and fans.

Comment

to start off I will say when we got in to Burk I was thinking it is not as exciting as it use to be. And there was not the rowdy crowd I expected. Maybe it was just me but the whole attitude of the fans seem like "we going 2 lose". We got to much talent to not be good. Wingate outplayed us yes but we miss so many oppoitunities like the long passes dropped. Eagles also had many penalties. I think it would have hype the team up if that first drrive had scored. After that fizzle seem like we went flat and veer didn't work so we spread and it didn't work. offense just sucked after that. Defense had good moments so is something to build on. I thnk we will win more games than we will lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Fernandez View Post
                  to start off I will say when we got in to Burk I was thinking it is not as exciting as it use to be. And there was not the rowdy crowd I expected. Maybe it was just me but the whole attitude of the fans seem like "we going 2 lose". We got to much talent to not be good. Wingate outplayed us yes but we miss so many oppoitunities like the long passes dropped. Eagles also had many penalties. I think it would have hype the team up if that first drrive had scored. After that fizzle seem like we went flat and veer didn't work so we spread and it didn't work. offense just sucked after that. Defense had good moments so is something to build on. I thnk we will win more games than we will lose.
                  I think you may be right on the last point. CN are going to have 2 (maybe 3) games to gain some momentum going in to the LR/Newberry back-to-back games. I don't think Carson-Newman is awful (don't think they're particularly good either), but this a conference of the haves and the have nots and CN certainly isn't in the "have not" category. Between the Wise, Barton, Catawba, Mars Hill, Limestone, and Tusculum games they should go at least 4-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Fernandez View Post
                    There hasn't been a rowdy crowd at Burke-Tarr in years because of many reasons:

Students and people in the community would rather go watch the Volunturds play in Knoxville or get together to watch that game. Students would rather do that for the most part than go and support their class mates. But a majority of faculty and staff don't go to games either. People in the community don't go to games (for the most part) unless they have some connection to the school.

Comment

I've struggled to keep from expressing my opinion here. Everyone knows the issue at CN, but won't say it.

Comment

Originally posted by CNCEagle97 View Post
                        I've struggled to keep from expressing my opinion here. Everyone knows the issue at CN, but won't say it.
                        Let er rip baby!

Comment

Love him or hate him, Coach Steve Spurrier always put his players, fans, what was in the best interest of his team and school above himself, and had the integrity and inner strength to do the right thing. Do you remember him?

"Steve Spurrier, the visor-slinging, slick-talking "Head Ball Coach" who helped transform the way college football is played with his pass-happy "Fun 'n' Gun" offense, announced his resignation as coach of the South Carolina Gamecocks on Tuesday.

"First of all, I'm resigning and not retiring," Spurrier said Tuesday. "I doubt if I'll ever be a head coach again ... but don't say I've retired completely. Who knows what will come in the future?

"My answer has always been the same: If it starts going south, starts going bad, then I need to get out. ... It's time for me to get out of the way and give somebody else a go at it."

Spurrier sensed the end of his ultra-successful career might be near as the Gamecocks, who had lost two of their first three games, trailed struggling UCF 14-8 at halftime Sept. 26.

Although the Gamecocks came back to defeat UCF 31-14, they then lost to Missouri and LSU in consecutive weeks to fall to 0-4 in SEC play. After a loss to LSU on Saturday, Spurrier telephoned South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner on Sunday and told him he was contemplating resignation.

Tanner and USC president Harris Pastides tried to persuade Spurrier to coach through the end of the regular season, but his mind was made up. This wasn't how Spurrier wanted to be remembered.

"Everybody likes to go out a winner," Spurrier told ESPN.com's Chris Low. "I thought I would, but it didn't work out. Sometimes, I guess we all push the envelope a little too far. In hindsight, I probably should have walked away after the bowl game. But we thought we had a pretty good team ready to go with some junior college kids coming in and a new defensive coordinator [Jon Hoke], but it just didn't work out."

Spurrier leaves the sideline the second-winningest coach in SEC history, behind Alabama's Paul "Bear" Bryant, and the winningest coach at both Florida and South Carolina.

The 70-year-old Spurrier -- known as much for his colorful quips about opponents and his confidence as he was for his offensive acumen -- told his players Monday night that he was stepping down, effective immediately." : Source, ESPN.

Comment

Eagle74 has some points....and I wish he was wrong. This is sad. We weren't this bad the year Sparks had a losing season. Down 21-0 to Wise at the half? Good God, let it end.

Comment

After yesterday's huge loss to VA-Wise, I feel like I'm watching a slow moving train wreck.

In 3 game this season against fellow D2 competition, the Eagles have been out-scored 103 to just 17. In total yardage they have been outgained 1289 yards to 559.

At this point, I believe that some people (if they really care about the CN football program) should start making the tough decisions and simply just 'do the right thing'. Some true soul searching is greatly needed.

I'm sure the majority of the Players (their parents), Fans, Boosters, CN Alumni, are ready for some major changes to try and 'right the ship'.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X