Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I guess the time has come to add CN to the OFFENDER category. I previously put CU there. VSU had an era I refer to as the dark ages in late 90's, post Mumme & pre Hatcher era. Not sure what's going on in CN, but these #s Eagle74 shows are not what I expect from CN. Looks very bleak this year. Obviously, the pre-season voting was not far off.
    Last edited by vsukerosene; 09-27-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Barton College, in it's very first full season of D2 Football host Carson Newman which has been competing in college football for over a century. Typically in this type of situation, most Eagles fans would be disappointed with anything less than a completely dominating performance on both sides of the ball by CN. But these days it's becoming clear that some of the Eagles Fans have been becoming more and more complacent, and university pride and success is no longer at the top of the priority list.

Let's just hope the Eagles are competitive against the upstart Bulldogs the Saturday, and if so, there should be participation trophies passed out to all the players and coaches.

By the way, why in the world are a lot of the Eagles games scheduled within an hour or so of the Tennessee Vols games? Scheduling should be planned around the Vols games, not near the same kickoff time, because based on this season (especially in Eastern TN), we're pretty sure which game's being attended and tuned to.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

By the way, why in the world are a lot of the Eagles games scheduled within an hour or so of the Tennessee Vols games? Scheduling should be planned around the Vols games, not near the same kickoff time, because based on this season (especially in Eastern TN), we're pretty sure which game's being attended and tuned to.
        UT made the change to Bowling Green game and Pitt game times. C-N has almost always had home games at 1 (minus homecoming) and has opened up on Thursday night for years now. The Volunturds probably swapped Bowling Green to Thursday so it could be on television AND so if they lost nobody would notice!

And please, faculty & staff/students/people in Jeff weren't coming to C-N games long before this year. And it had nothing to do with winning and losing.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

And please, faculty & staff/students/people in Jeff weren't coming to C-N games long before this year. And it had nothing to do with winning and losing.
          Really, back in 2012 When Coach Sparks was running a 9-3 winning program, the average attendance for home games was 3,596. The average this season is now down to 2,475 per home game. That's a big drop.

Last edited by Eagle74; 09-29-2021, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Really, back in 2011 When Coach Sparks was running a winning program, the average attendance for home games was 3,488. The average this season is now down to 2,475 per home game. That's a big drop.
            Sparks wasn't running or winning anything in 2011 other than a losing season.

Tennessee also didn't have home games those first two dates

Comment

Sparks wasn't running or winning anything in 2011 other than a losing season.

Tennessee also didn't have home games those first two dates
              Thanks for the heads up! Corrections made, it was 2012 I was referring to when Coach Sparkes coached the Eagles Football Team to a 9-3 record, and the per game home attendance level was even higher at 3,596.

Back then the stadium was way over halfway full for most games, this year's average is leaving the stadium a little over half empty.
              Last edited by Eagle74; 09-29-2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! Corrections made, it was 2012 I was referring to when Coach Sparkes coached the Eagles Football Team to a 9-3 record, and the per game home attendance level was even higher at 3,596.

Back then the stadium was way over halfway full for most games, this year's average is leaving the stadium a little over half empty.
                5 years earlier the stadium was even more full averaging over 4400. 2 years later average attendance dropped almost 600+. Its not a recent problem. its a problem that STARTED when Sparks was there and when we were students. I get your point. But it is not a 2021/Clowney problem. And there are so many layers to the drop in attendance besides what has already been mentioned.

Side note, the 2009 team went to the national semifinals was really good, but the 2007 team that missed the playoffs was the best team CN has had in my time of being associated with the school. They wouldve beat the brakes off the 2009 final four team.

Comment

its a problem that STARTED when Sparks was there I get your point. But it is not a 2021 / Clowney problem. And there are so many layers to the drop in attendance besides what has already been mentioned.
                  Oh, nooooooo of course not, getting thrashed on both sides of the ball every game so far this season would in noooo way effect home game attendance. Based on your post, it sounds as though the majority of fans no longer really give a d#$^% one way or another about having a competitive program (hear the crickets?).

Just curious, if this season's CN team ekes out a win or 2, are you on board with extending the program's leadership (all) contract for another 5 or so years, and maybe even throw in a couple of nice bonuses?
                  Last edited by Eagle74; 10-03-2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Oh, nooooooo of course not, getting thrashed on both sides of the ball every game so far this season would in noooo way effect home game attendance. Based on your post, it sounds as though the majority of fans no longer really give a d#$^% one way or another about having a competitive program (hear the crickets?).

Just curious, if this season's CN team ekes out a win or 2, are you on board with extending the program's leadership (all) contract for another 5 or so years, and maybe even throw in a couple of nice bonuses?
                    You missed my point. Attendance has been going down for years, it didn't just start this year. This year isn't helping, you are correct there, but people quit coming years ago.

I don't know how to fix the problem, and the way I would if I did probably wouldn't work! haha

Comment

Look when I was at CN, until we got to the playoffs or Homecoming it was always half full. And this is when we were ranked #1 and winning SAC games by 45 points. But nobody lost sleep over it, CN played to a standard and who was in the stands didn't matter. Personally I feel terrible decisions have been made that have gotten CN to this point, I'm not sure CN wins a game this year.

CN football has been "THE" brand for Carson-Newman, put the school on the map (like it or not). The Carson-Newman University that exists today was in large part built on the foundation Ken Sparks put in place.

Unfortunately it seems the decision making has been based on money or easy route, as an Alumnus I am in no way happy where things are today.

Comment

The attendance drop coincides with the video streaming evolution. The athletic department puts out a great product and it is consistent. Tuesday press conference. game, post-game comments, and coaches show on Monday. Best in the SAC and perhaps one of the best in the country for D2. When they are away I will set up the video feed from the visiting team and then sync up the CN audio and then it is good to go.

Comment

Comment

Yes. Because Kevin Day left for Lakeway Christian Academy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X