Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least them saying they weren't adding football dur to cost was (even if not truthful) a decent answer.

Could be Lee University and say you weren't adding football because "of the culture it would bring to our campus" #sayyourracistwithoutsayingyourracist

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

One good thing about their location is that if they ever did add D2 or FCS level football they could use Memorial Stadium for their home games.
      You're right. American Legion Memorial Stadium in Charlotte, NC would also be an excellent location to host future Division 2 Football Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

You're right. American Legion Memorial Stadium in Charlotte, NC would also be an excellent location to host future Division 2 Football Championships.
        You think they'd ever move it from Texas? Would potential bad weather deter it from Charlotte?

ALMS is a gorgeous stadium tho

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

You think they'd ever move it from Texas? Would potential bad weather deter it from Charlotte?

Agree with you and Eagle, it took a while but the city did a really good job with those renovations to the stadium.

I've been hoping for some time that Charlotte would put in a bid for the game. Either ALMS or UNCC's stadium would be perfect venues for the game. Charlotte is drivable for all of SR2, a good chunck of SR1 and the Eastern portion of SR3. Plus with Charlotte being a hub for American there are a lot of flight options for the rest of the country.

I would hope the potential weather issue wouldn't hold the city back. NC usually has nice Decembers, it's January and February where you get the greater risk of cold weather and snow. I remember during our runs in 2011 and 2012 our home playoff games in December had nice weather where a light jacket was all that was needed. NCAA had the D3 game in Salem, VA and that saw plenty of years with cold weather and sometimes snow. Also, I think the FCS game in Frisco has had cold weather and snow in the past.

Comment

The American Legion Memorial Stadium is not much different in distance from the Queens campus as the soccer/lacrosse/field hockey/tennis location (albeit in the opposite direction). Very convenient access from US 74 and the freeway loop around downtown Charlotte.

Comment

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...258218363.html

BoT voted unanimously to explore the move

Comment

McKinney - and for that matter, the Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington (North Texas) area - is more centrally located than Charlotte, which is why the NCAA seems to be happy with the national title game being played there.

SIDE NOTE: Frisco, home of the FCS championship game, borders McKinney to the west. The combined population of the cities of McKinney, Frisco, Allen and Plano - which connect at a "quad point" (picture this as a mini version of the Arizona/Colorado/New Mexico/Utah "Four Corners") to the north of Dallas proper in Collin County* - is 796,177, roughly the same as the Charleston metro area (799,636) - which would make those four cities alone the 76th largest metro area in the country. Those four cities alone make up about 10 percent of the DFW metro area population.

* - The western portions of Frisco and a sliver of western Plano are located in Denton County.

Apologies for dragging y'all down a Rabbit Hole, but I just wanted to add a little context.
                Last edited by ctrabs74; 02-13-2022, 01:58 AM.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Not compared to McKinney.

Comment

Queens womens basketball probably wouldn't look forward to move up.....they lost by 51 tonight to the Lady Eagles.

Comment

Update:

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I had heard the rumors, but thought they might still play one more year in DII before switching to a D1 schedule, but it looks like Lindenwood's and Stonehill's move - immediately begin a D1 schedule. At least Queens does not have football, or the reshuffling of schedules might really be a problem. Or I suppose you could read the annoucement as a midyear schedule shift to the ASUN, but I don't think I have ever seen that.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
                          I had heard the rumors, but thought they might still play one more year in DII before switching to a D1 schedule, but it looks like Lindenwood's and Stonehill's move - immediately begin a D1 schedule. At least Queens does not have football, or the reshuffling of schedules might really be a problem. Or I suppose you could read the annoucement as a midyear schedule shift to the ASUN, but I don't think I have ever seen that.
                          I think you're right about them starting their transition to D1 immediately (which would technically be July 1, 2022).
                          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

He's not tweeting anything that wasn't already known lol. Queens move has been essentially done for a while now, it was just a matter of A-Sun in 2022 or Big South in 2023. Yet another school moving up to be an also ran.

Comment

He's not tweeting anything that wasn't already known lol. Queens move has been essentially done for a while now, it was just a matter of A-Sun in 2022 or Big South in 2023. Yet another school moving up to be an also ran.
                              Yes, it was mentioned last September that the ASUN was vetting them along with three other D2s. It seems to me, just an opinion, that swimming and diving was the big draw here and the Charlotte media market. The ASUN Commish is also the President of the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association, which is mostly organized for D1 swimming/diving where Queens would become the 10th member. There are also a random mix of southern beach volleyball teams that aren't ASUN in that league.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Yes, it was mentioned last September that the ASUN was vetting them along with three other D2s. It seems to me, just an opinion, that swimming and diving was the big draw here and the Charlotte media market. The ASUN Commish is also the President of the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association, which is mostly organized for D1 swimming/diving where Queens would become the 10th member. There are also a random mix of southern beach volleyball teams that aren't ASUN in that league.
                                You're not wrong. The swimming and diving teams at Queens are D2 juggernauts. I think they are up to 7 consecutive men's and women's championships? But other than that, I don't get it. Men's basketball is usually strong, but women's basketball is an absolute doormat. Queens softball and baseball both have had okay seasons, finishing in top 4 in SAC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X