Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Let's talk about your favorite SAC college's athletics

I see that there is some frustration concerning Limestone here lately. I just wanted to make a thread to let people discuss your favorite SAC college's athletics (in general). Anything you're frustrated with or excited about?

For me, I guess I'm disappointed with how UVA-Wise's teams have been in terms of success (in general). I know that women's lacrosse and softball have been a strength, but I just feel like there's something missing in terms of success in general.

The women's basketball team at UVA Wise was preseason #3 in the SAC. I got to watch them against C-N on Wednesday. They have several good players but they got absolutely bullied down low. They did farely well against the press all night, but they just couldn't get anything going. Wise jumped out to a 6-0 lead (I think) and then C-N went on a run. Game never got within 15 after that but Wise looked like a younger roster.

Comment

Pretty happy with LR's athletics overall. For a while baseball was very underfunded and consistently probably the least cared about major sport on campus. They've turned it around this season which is really fun to see. Unfortunately, this has coincided with basketball taking a big time nose dive -- we've never really been a basketball power but the team hasn't done this poorly since I've been around. Think the most cared about sports are as followed:
      1. Football: Pretty self explanatory, no other sport will bring even close to 10,000 fans to a home game.
      2. Mens Lax: Made it to the D2 finals last year and the support is really something else. Spring time tailgating is fun and there is a ton of alumni support.
      3. Mens Basketball: Basketball games are a ton of fun and there is an awesome student section when the team is doing well or a top team like LMU or Queens comes to town. Saw one of the most incredible basketball games ever, a one point loss in 4 OTs to LMU in 2015 in front of a packed Shuford Gym. Rick Barnes (UT coach) is an alumn and is active with the team.
      4. Mens/Womens Soccer: Great support for the soccer programs, I think mens probably draws a slightly larger crowd but women's typically has more success.
      5. Baseball: The school has been starved of a winning program for so long, excited to see baseball fever hit campus this spring.
      Honorable mentions. Volleyball: They've been really good the past few years and student support for volleyball is very high. Womens lax: fun team to watch, but they play at weird times.

Comment

Im excited for this upcoming season at Mars Hill. I think the team has the chance to be really special. Majority of the team is coming back and from what I here coach is being pretty aggressive in the portal. They weren't happy with not making the playoffs and they will have the team to do it. Now it'll be put up or shut up for the Hill.

Comment

Both CN basketball teams won today and are headed to the SAC finals.

Comment

Well the Carson-Newman men fell short, but the girls put a beating on Anderson that would be considered a hate crime in some states. I think they got the shaft with seeding for the NCAA tournament but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
              The women's basketball team at UVA Wise was preseason #3 in the SAC. I got to watch them against C-N on Wednesday. They have several good players but they got absolutely bullied down low. They did farely well against the press all night, but they just couldn't get anything going. Wise jumped out to a 6-0 lead (I think) and then C-N went on a run. Game never got within 15 after that but Wise looked like a younger roster.
              I think I'm more indifferent than disappointed for UVA-Wise in terms of athletics.

Comment

Well, UVA-Wise is getting a track & field program: UVA WISE ANNOUNCES ADDITION OF TRACK & FIELD - The University of Virginia's College at Wise Athletics (uvawisecavs.com)

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
                  Pretty happy with LR's athletics overall. For a while baseball was very underfunded and consistently probably the least cared about major sport on campus. They've turned it around this season which is really fun to see. Unfortunately, this has coincided with basketball taking a big time nose dive -- we've never really been a basketball power but the team hasn't done this poorly since I've been around. Think the most cared about sports are as followed:
                  1. Football: Pretty self explanatory, no other sport will bring even close to 10,000 fans to a home game.
                  2. Mens Lax: Made it to the D2 finals last year and the support is really something else. Spring time tailgating is fun and there is a ton of alumni support.
                  3. Mens Basketball: Basketball games are a ton of fun and there is an awesome student section when the team is doing well or a top team like LMU or Queens comes to town. Saw one of the most incredible basketball games ever, a one point loss in 4 OTs to LMU in 2015 in front of a packed Shuford Gym. Rick Barnes (UT coach) is an alumn and is active with the team.
                  4. Mens/Womens Soccer: Great support for the soccer programs, I think mens probably draws a slightly larger crowd but women's typically has more success.
                  5. Baseball: The school has been starved of a winning program for so long, excited to see baseball fever hit campus this spring.
                  Honorable mentions. Volleyball: They've been really good the past few years and student support for volleyball is very high. Womens lax: fun team to watch, but they play at weird times.
                  LR Basketball thrived under Lentz and was a consistent threat for the Conference Championship. The ultimate undoing in my opinion was the dilution of the conference adding so many non-football schools.

Comment

Barnes used to have a basketball camp every summer at the Catawba Valley YMCA, don't know if he still does. Really nice guy. Vol fans think he hung the moon, until he cannot get past the first weekend (again).

I'm curious LR1891, why you think the conference was diluted by adding the non-football schools? I don't disagree with you, just wanting to know why you think that because it's a very interesting point. I felt having LMU, Queens, Anderson for example made the league stronger in basketball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X