Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer portal

Does anyone have any knowledge about what the transfer portal has done to or for the SAC? Most interested in LR but whatever happens to the others will positively or negatively affect LR.

I hear that Limestone has picked up a QB from App St. I believe his name is Andre Goodman. I have heard that Coach Furrey is targeting the transfer portal hard but I have not heard of any other pickups. We had one of our starting DBs, Kris Williams, transfer and he just committed to UNLV. We have had some other players leave but I expected that once Spring Practice was over.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
        That's debatable for sure. Yes Toney Black led the team and conference in sacks (9 for the season), but LB Shane Perry led the Barton team in solo tackles at 62 and 37 assist (99 total), with Toney Black having 28 solo and 13 assist (41 total) ranking him the 5th leading tackler on the Barton team. No doubt Toney Black is an excellent pick up, but most football critics would easily give the nod to Perry as being Barton's best D player this last season.

Comment

Comment

Black is a good player (to which you posted was Barton's best defensive player). In LR's matchup against Barton, Black had 3 tackles and 1 sack, while Perry had 18 tackles and 1 forced fumble.

Perry averaged 9 tackles per game (which would rank him as #3 in the SAC), and .45 forced fumbles per game, while Black averaged 3.7 tackles per game, and less than .08 sacks per game, which in number of sacks per game played, would have had him ranked #3 in the SAC. Based on the actual number of sacks per game played, Mars Hill's Dexter Fitzpatrick led the SAC with .09 sacks per game).

Comment

Originally posted by Saints Tailgating View Post
              I hear that Limestone has picked up a QB from App St. I believe his name is Andre Goodman. I have heard that Coach Furrey is targeting the transfer portal hard but I have not heard of any other pickups. We had one of our starting DBs, Kris Williams, transfer and he just committed to UNLV. We have had some other players leave but I expected that once Spring Practice was over.
              QB Andre Goodman during his high school junior season threw for 1,182 yards before season ending injury during last game of season. Didn't play his senior season. Red-shirted during his first season at App St. Hasn't played a game since the 2019 season.......
              Last edited by Saints17; 05-02-2022, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg1

LR got Saige Ley 6'2" 230 lb Linebacker from Edinboro 2 year starter that started as a true freshman. Led his team in tackles... he is a beast! His family moved to Charlotte thats why he transferred.

Comment

Looks like there are some positive signs for the coming year. If anyone knows anything about the QB situation I would appreciation them sharing what LR is looking like in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
                    Looks like there are some positive signs for the coming year. If anyone knows anything about the QB situation I would appreciation them sharing what LR is looking like in that position.
                    It's a little bit hazy at the QB spot atm. From my understanding Austin Cagle came out of the spring practices looking like the more poised of the QBs. Cagle got some play last year as the third string and scrambled around a little bit but didn't get much of a chance to throw the ball because he was playing in garbage time. The other three are Jalen Ferguson, Dawson Cox, and Sean White. Admittedly I don't know too much about Ferguson, but he came out of West Forsyth which is a hotbed for football (and basketball, Chris Paul went there) talent. Cox was a big recruit coming out of Ashe County, he didn't get a senior season but I've heard buzz that he could've been a D1 guy if he had the chance to showcase his talent -- 6'5 but only 190 so probably needs to bulk up a little bit. Sean White was the starter for the spring season game against Newberry when Grayson and Gunnar got covid at the last minute. It was a super tough situation for a true freshman to be in, and he struggled early but really showed his stuff late in the game during the OT win.

If I had to guess today the depth chart would be. (1) Cagle (2) Cox (3) Ferguson (4) White; don't have any insider knowledge, however, so could be completely incorrect. Need to lock this position down. The good news is that all these guys are Juniors or younger BUT have at least one year in the system so if we settle on a starter this year chances are he's the guy for the next 2-4 seasons.

Comment

Based on coming out of the Spring game:
                      Cagle is the leader. He had most of the reps with the 1s.
                      White is next. He had reps with the ones and twos.
                      Ferguson is the best athlete of the bunch but has a quirky sidearm delivery which may limit him.
                      Cox has the best arm of the group but his reps were mostly with 3-4 groups in the scrimmage.

Comment

Thanks for info. A second question: We know that the starting tailback is locked (and should be), but what do we have as help? And do we have a 3rd down beast that can get you 2 to 4 yards when you have to have it?

Comment

Jadus Davis is the backup. He scored three touchdowns against Carson Newman last year. And two TDS in the Spring game. The offense does not use a FB very often to run the ball. Mostly a blocker. In the Spring game Number 42 Hancock got most of the reps at FB. He is a strong kid that blocks pretty well and has good hands on swing passes. But no actual carries.
                          Dillard and Lane are three and four at running back. Both are solid. All of these guys are only freshmen and sophomores. So the backfield room is probably the best position group on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post

QB Andre Goodman during his high school junior season threw for 1,182 yards before season ending injury during last game of season. Didn't play his senior season. Red-shirted during his first season at App St. Hasn't played a game since the 2019 season.......
                            I believe there is a connection between Coach Furrey & the father, Andre Goodman, Sr. as they may have played together with the Lions for a season so this may be how he ended up at Limestone. The kid also played WR I believe before moving to QB in high school so he may play WR & not QB. We'll see I guess. He will definitely have to shake the rust off.

Comment

From what I have heard, Newberry is expected to be strong again this year. They are loaded at the skilled positions, their weak spot could be on the Offensive Line as they are pretty young there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X