Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does it happen?

I find it hard to believe you can bring in forty one transfers to one team like CN did. Where does that kind of money come from? Actually I think Limestone did about the same thing which is mind boggling to understand how hard that must be to arrange. Maybe some one on this board can enlighten me on this topic.

Great question. West Florida did it a couple of years ago. Pembroke has been very active the past several years, Eskrine has a bunch of portal transfers. Only thing I can think of is it's a lot of Pell Grant people.

Comment

That’s still getting rid of a lot of players on scholarships. Would think it would be very expensive undertaking.

Comment

While the 41 is accurate. That’s the total number of transfers on the roster. So it includes guys like Braxton Westfield, AJ Hunter, Jordun Wilson, Jordan Caldwell, Daniel Dixon-Brooks etc etc., who have been with the program a few years.

The new transfers on the roster total 25 this year. Still a lot but not as crazy. That number goes down a bit when you further consider eligibility stuff and transfers who routinely dress out.

Comment

I think college athletes (especially D2 and D3) have no understanding of personal finance or student loans. As we know, schools have limited scholarships, so a lot of these guys are going to schools with little to no scholarship money and taking on up to $10k+ of student loans each semester. They don’t understand that this money given to them in the forms of federal loans will have to be paid back.

Sure, playing college ball for 4-6 years is cool, but when you graduate and have $50,000+ in student loans, how cool will you be then?

Comment

Limestone went into Spring practice with 120 kids. Shortly after, we were down to 40 kids. By the start of Fall camp, we had 180 kids, which is our current number (give or take). This would be a combination of incoming freshman and transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by d2superfan10 View Post
              I think college athletes (especially D2 and D3) have no understanding of personal finance or student loans. As we know, schools have limited scholarships, so a lot of these guys are going to schools with little to no scholarship money and taking on up to $10k+ of student loans each semester. They don’t understand that this money given to them in the forms of federal loans will have to be paid back.

Sure, playing college ball for 4-6 years is cool, but when you graduate and have $50,000+ in student loans, how cool will you be then?
              Maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints Tailgating View Post
                Limestone went into Spring practice with 120 kids. Shortly after, we were down to 40 kids. By the start of Fall camp, we had 180 kids, which is our current number (give or take). This would be a combination of incoming freshman and transfers.
                I must have misunderstood.. You have 180 football players?

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

I must have misunderstood.. You have 180 football players?
                  Yes, 180. That number would include those who are redshirting.

Comment

Thanks.
                    Was reading where U of Alabama is allowed 85, but that probably means active Varsity.

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post
                      Thanks.
                      Was reading where U of Alabama is allowed 85, but that probably means active Varsity.
                      85 is the scholarship limit for Division I FBS. They can have more than that on the roster, but only 85 can be under athletic scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post

85 is the scholarship limit for Division I FBS. They can have more than that on the roster, but only 85 can be under athletic scholarship.
                        Thanks, Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
                          I find it hard to believe you can bring in forty one transfers to one team like CN did. Where does that kind of money come from? Actually I think Limestone did about the same thing which is mind boggling to understand how hard that must be to arrange. Maybe some one on this board can enlighten me on this topic.
                          Better question is why with all the transfers, can CN not field a competitive team? Obviously Newberry win, while good, is a fluke.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X