Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 poll

So who votes in this poll? Was wondering how NWMS is still in top ten after losing to a team with one win and two losses. Apparently Colorado Mines has someone pushing their rankings 3-2 record and still ranked is very unusual for this poll. Virginia Union needs to play somebody a little stronger in order to deserve this ranking. Just seems like more of a popularity contest with some of these teams. I have heard most think Massey is the most accurate rating for d2.

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
    So who votes in this poll? Was wondering how NWMS is still in top ten after losing to a team with one win and two losses. Apparently Colorado Mines has someone pushing their rankings 3-2 record and still ranked is very unusual for this poll. Virginia Union needs to play somebody a little stronger in order to deserve this ranking. Just seems like more of a popularity contest with some of these teams. I have heard most think Massey is the most accurate rating for d2.
    are you talking the coaches poll or d2football.com poll?

Heres just some thoughts from me.

1. Mines is deservedly high. They have two losses yes, but by a combined 6 points to the #2 and #3 ranked team in the country (Grand Valley and Angelo). I think they would cakewalk through 2 of the 4 super regions from what I've seen. They are a helluva football team.

2. Id tend to agree on Northwest because they also havent beaten anyone yet. But we will see after this weekend when they play Pitt State.

3. VUU is high to me, but the Valdosta State win isnt as impressive now as it was. But just like with March madness criteria, its about how your opponent was playing WHEN you played( or so they say).

4. Massey himself would vehemently disagree with people who think that. I can 1000% guarantee that. Massey always said his system wasn't accurate early on, only when the entire season was finished.

Comment

Was talking mainly d2.com poll. Benedict is another that seems to be higher than there schedule would warrant. Agree with you now on Mines two losses and still ranked. They use some kind of formula for regional rankings don’t they?

Comment

Is your issue with LR being ranked in the coaches poll and not in D2football.com poll? I'm just asking nothing personal. I find it a tad odd the Bears are 14th in the AFCA poll and not ranked by other. I don't care for the coaches poll because there's some stuff that makes no sense to me. Like having Mines as low as they do. There arent 5 teams better than Mines, much less 20. Or not having Augustana ranked. Or to be honest, C-N received votes. Or VUU ahead of Delta State.

I'd agree about Benedict but I haven't had a chance to watch them play yet. The SIAC normally has a really good team and a bunch of meh but sometimes 2. I think they play Albany next week. That'll be a test.

when it comes to the regionals, thats a whole other post im sure someone like Inkblot could perfectly answer.

​​​​​​​
        All this to say, rankings are fun to discuss but they literally don't mean jack Dilley squat.

Comment

Only rankings that matter are regional rankings the last few weeks of the regular season.

Comment

Now that you analyzed both polls It’s full of flaws in both polls. Like its been said the one that matters most are the regional rankings later in the season. Not much for discussion right now on here. Kinda miss some of the ole posters on here. Especially North Ala. people. Screwdriver was a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
              Kinda miss some of the ole posters on here. Especially North Ala. people. Screwdriver was a good one.
              I wonder if North Alabama misses D2 yet. Football has not gone well for them in FCS. But it could always be worse. Look at the train wreck, I mean, Presbyterian.

Comment

Here's my current Top 25. Just a FYI, the Bears come in at 26.
                1 Ferris St.
                2 Grand Valley St.
                3 Angelo St.
                4 Shepherd
                5 Ouachita Baptist
                6 Pittsburg St.
                7 Ashland
                8 Delta St.
                9 NW Missouri St.
                10 Harding
                11 West Florida
                12 Indianapolis