Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

I agree! For a still relatively new D2 Football program West Florida's Coach Shinnick has built a powerhouse. His recruiting has been really impressive.
    100% agree here. He is in a great recruiting area and it sure does help he is an outstanding program builder.

I think there was a discussion on the GSC board about would Shinnick take the open North Alabama job. I don't see why he would personally outside of money.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

Actually a committee member from a school under consideration has to leave the discussion if it involves their institution. I think the real issue is that to let 3 SAC teams in means that two of the three remaining conferences part of the region only get 1

With Newberry out then three conferences get two slots and only the SIAC gets a lone spot.
      We are working on finding the answers.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBullyDawg View Post

I’d love to see the final calculations. Maybe Wingate being 6-0 on the road certainly helped, despite the loss to a bad E&H team, which I still am pissed over.

Inkblots'

Benedict SIAC 11-0 .497 11-0 3-0 1.497 1 28.636 1 1
        Delta State GSC 9-1 .528 8-1 1-1 1.428 2 27.600 3 2
        West Florida GSC 8-1 .538 7-1 2-1 1.427 3 27.667 2 3
        Virginia Union CIAA 8-1 .500 8-1 3-1 1.388 4 27.000 4 4
        Wingate SAC 9-2 .531 9-2 4-1 1.349 5 26.364 5 5
        Fayetteville State CIAA 9-2 .516 9-2 2-2 1.334 6 25.545 9 6
        Limestone SAC 8-2 .524 8-2 3-2 1.324 8 25.600 7 7
        Newberry SAC 9-2 .513 9-2 3-2 1.331 7 25.636 6
        Fort Valley State SIAC 8-2 .521 8-2 2-1 1.321 9 25.600 7
        West Georgia GSC 8-2 .506 8-2 2-1 1.306 10 24.900 11
        As far as I can tell, the numbers are identical to the worksheet. Side note: The link to the worksheet was removed. I figured out how to find the document, but the fact that the NCAA removed the link automatically makes me think that some numbers on the sheet were incorrect.

Like I said, we're trying to get to the bottom of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

One thing they never do is release that final data. This happens across all DII sports, so unless you are on one of the regional committees or know someone who is you wont find out.
          It's easily accessible online, outside SR2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

As far as I can tell, the numbers are identical to the worksheet. Side note: The link to the worksheet was removed. I figured out how to find the document, but the fact that the NCAA removed the link automatically makes me think that some numbers on the sheet were incorrect.

Like I said, we're trying to get to the bottom of it.
            CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COVER UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. Better call Nicolas Cage

Comment

• This is how the final numbers looked, sorted by Winning & and SOS:
              Benedict SIAC 11-0 .497 11-0 3-0 1.497 1
              Delta State GSC 9-1 .528 8-1 1-1 1.428 2
              West Florida GSC 8-1 .538 7-1 2-1 1.427 3
              Virginia Union CIAA 8-1 .500 8-1 3-1 1.388 4
              Wingate SAC 9-2 .531 9-2 4-1 1.349 5
              Fayetteville State CIAA 9-2 .516 9-2 2-2 1.334 6
              Newberry SAC 9-2 .513 9-2 3-2 1.331 7
              Limestone SAC 8-2 .524 8-2 3-2 1.324 8
              Fort Valley State SIAC 8-2 .521 8-2 2-1 1.321 9
              West Georgia GSC 8-2 .506 8-2 2-1 1.306 10

If a one game nullification were applied, this is how they would look:

Benedict SIAC 11-0 .497 11-0 3-0 1.497 1
              Delta State GSC 9-1 .528 8-1 1-1 1.428 2
              West Florida GSC 8-1 .538 7-1 2-1 1.427 3
              Virginia Union CIAA 8-1 .500 8-1 3-1 1.388 4
              Wingate SAC 9-2 .531 9-2 4-1 1.349 5
              Fayetteville State CIAA 9-2 .516 9-2 2-2 1.334 6
              Limestone SAC 8-2 .524 8-2 3-2 1.324 7
              Fort Valley State SIAC 8-2 .521 8-2 2-1 1.321 8
              West Georgia GSC 8-2 .506 8-2 2-1 1.306 9
              Newberry SAC 8-3 .513 9-2 3-2 1.240 -
              Newberry would be #14 behind Albany State.

Comment

We are working on finding the answers.
                Was interested to know if the committee has any football knowledge and is familiar with video of the regional they are processing. Do they have any history of say the last ten years on out of conference results. Strength of schedule does not seem to be calculated properly for if one team is 8-0 and beats another week scheduled team of like WISE schedule then they are even more over rated. There is a definite need for a reevaluation of the selection process especially in SR2. Most all football polls out there with rankings of all d2 teams has Fayetteville, Va Union and Benedict way down the list and lower than several GSC and SAC teams. My take is we have people on the committee that know little about football etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearhof View Post

Was interested to know if the committee has any football knowledge and is familiar with video of the regional they are processing. Do they have any history of say the last ten years on out of conference results. Strength of schedule does not seem to be calculated properly for if one team is 8-0 and beats another week scheduled team of like WISE schedule then they are even more over rated. There is a definite need for a reevaluation of the selection process especially in SR2. Most all football polls out there with rankings of all d2 teams has Fayetteville, Va Union and Benedict way down the list and lower than several GSC and SAC teams. My take is we have people on the committee that know little about football etc.
                  The national committee consists of 3 head coaches, 2 AD's, two Assoicate AD's (one being from Lenoir-Rhyne) and an assistant to the commissioner of a conference.

The SR2 regional advisory committee:
                  Anthony Bennett Fayetteville State CIAA- Athletic Director
                  Mike Clowney Carson-Newman SAC- Head Football Coach
                  Gabe Giardina Albany State (Georgia) SIAC- Head Football Coach
                  Brett Gilliland West Alabama GSC- Head Football Coach
                  Monica Gordy Polizzi Lenoir-Rhyne SAC- Associate AD
                  Dr. Alvin Parker Virginia Union CIAA- Head Football Coach
                  Reggie Ruffin Tuskegee SIAC- Head Football Coach
                  Dave Scott West Florida GSC- Athletic Director

And before people even start with the absolutely stupid idea that VUU and FSU got in because of people on the committee, committee members leave the room when their own schools are discussed. So stop.
                  Last edited by canadarican; 11-17-2022, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by canadarican View Post

The national committee consists of 3 head coaches, 2 AD's, two Assoicate AD's (one being from Lenoir-Rhyne) and an assistant to the commissioner of a conference.

The SR2 regional advisory committee:
                    Anthony Bennett Fayetteville State CIAA- Athletic Director
                    Mike Clowney Carson-Newman SAC- Head Football Coach
                    Gabe Giardina Albany State (Georgia) SIAC- Head Football Coach
                    Brett Gilliland West Alabama GSC- Head Football Coach
                    Monica Gordy Polizzi Lenoir-Rhyne SAC- Associate AD
                    Dr. Alvin Parker Virginia Union CIAA- Head Football Coach
                    Reggie Ruffin Tuskegee SIAC- Head Football Coach
                    Dave Scott West Florida GSC- Athletic Director

And before people even start with the absolutely stupid idea that VUU and FSU got in because of people on the committee, committee members leave the room when their own schools are discussed. So stop.
                    Thanks Mr C. I now understand what happened during the selection process and the reason for the outcome. I am sure everything was done in good faith and above board as you can see by the results of the participants that fair play was used to select the best teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearhof View Post

Strength of schedule does not seem to be calculated properly for if one team is 8-0 and beats another week scheduled team of like WISE schedule then they are even more over rated.

There is a definite need for a reevaluation of the selection process especially in SR2.

My take is we have people on the committee that know little about football etc.
                      It's not a true strength of schedule. It's Opponent's Winning Percentage. A record of 9-2 in the Gulf South is treated as the same as a 9-2 record in the weakest conference.

The head coach at #1 Grand Valley is on the committee.
                      The head coach at West Alabama is on the committee.
                      The head coach at Carson-Newman is on the committee.
                      The head coach at Albany State is on the committee.
                      The head coach at Virginia Union is on the committee.
                      The head coach at Tuskegee is on the committee.
                      The head coach at Sioux Falls is on the committee.

*Edit - I see canadarican already addressed committee composition*

Comment

It's not a true strength of schedule. It's Opponent's Winning Percentage. A record of 9-2 in the Gulf South is treated as the same as a 9-2 record in the weakest conference.
                        This is the fatal flaw with these rankings.
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Winner of the Delta State-West Florida game (and yes, they will meet) will ultimately win the region and head to the national semifinals. That's what the smart money says.

And look for Benedict to lose to the winner of the VUU-Wingate game. Paper tiger down there in Columbia.

Comment

• I'm probably gonna tick off a lot of folks, but dear lord I am already tired of the crying from Newberry. Did I think you were a top 7 team in the region? Yes. And You had a good year, but you would've gotten earholed by Delta State too.

Wanna know why you didn't make it? Ask your head coach and AD. Maybe they'll tell you.

Stop with the "bias, conspiracy" and all the other nonsense excuses. If you're gonna come up with a wild a$$ theory at least make it something sustainable.

Comment

• Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                              I'm probably gonna tick off a lot of folks, but dear lord I am already tired of the crying from Newberry. Did I think you were a top 7 team in the region? Yes. And You had a good year, but you would've gotten earholed by Delta State too.

Wanna know why you didn't make it? Ask your head coach and AD. Maybe they'll tell you.

Stop with the "bias, conspiracy" and all the other nonsense excuses. If you're gonna come up with a wild a$$ theory at least make it something sustainable.
                              The Newberry fans themselves have been pretty quiet on here, and they weren’t really sparked up on Twitter again until the conference’s response. Seems as if there’s something that you want to share with the group though? I’m curious to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrCorso View Post

The Newberry fans themselves have been pretty quiet on here, and they weren’t really sparked up on Twitter again until the conference’s response. Seems as if there’s something that you want to share with the group though? I’m curious to know.
                                It's been pretty well laid out before by folks here.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X