Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or is it that rest from a bye week allowed healing? No matter, 7 teams works well and as mentioned, #1 deserves the bye(and whatever benfits come with it)

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I think it has more to do with how close they are than whether there's a team between them. Last year the second SR2 ranking had West Florida a spot ahead of West Georgia even though UWG had the head-to-head.
      I think that's kind of what I said, but you got the point. That 2011 season Mars Hill was 2nd in the regional rankings the week before teams were selected. L-R was 8th. So they weren't close enough for it to matter.

Comment

I was so new to the board back then and didn’t have a grasp of why this happened. Just remember feeling like the Bears were more deserving of a po bid. What happened in 2007 if you don’t mind the pain of explain!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
          I was so new to the board back then and didn’t have a grasp of why this happened. Just remember feeling like the Bears were more deserving of a po bid. What happened in 2007 if you don’t mind the pain of explain!!
          I don't drink but let me get a big gulp of that Tennessee whiskey......

Comment

Back in 2007, Carson-Newman had (without a doubt in my mind) the best overall team I've seen in 15 years of watching SAC football. In fact I think they would've pummeled the 2009 national semifinalist team (who would've beaten GV if it was in Tennessee and not in Michigan).

Eagles won by an average of 28 PPG. We went down to Chattanooga and beat the Mocs by two touchdowns. They had 1 loss all season and it was when Catawba, with the help of the zebras, came from behind and scored with 26 seconds left to take the lead and win by 6. This was after Reggie Hubbard scored a touchdown to seal the game that was called off due to an absolute horsecrap taunting call if I remember correctly. I will never forgive them.

So back then, regional rankings were top 12 and not top 10. And if you were in the top 10 with no other conference rep in front of you, you got in via earned access. So Shaw, who was 8-3 and won the CIAA title got in via earned access and Albany State, also 8-3 and won the SIAC, got in via earned access and C-N got bumped out. I think those two were ranked 9th and 10th. How you are the 10th ranked team in the country but ranked 6th in the region is beyond me. Wasn't ranked below 15th all season. It was absolute 150% dogcrap. Needless to say, the next year I believe is when they went to top 10 and not 12.

It was the biggest playoff snub I've seen in D2 since I started following.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
              ...How you are the 10th ranked team in the country but ranked 6th in the region is beyond me. Wasn't ranked below 15th all season.
              It was the biggest playoff snub I've seen in D2 since I started following.
              Easy - the national rankings are a beauty contest and the regional rankings are determined by NCAA criteria for who deserves a playoff spot. Apples and oranges. Happens in many NCAA sports because the national rankings are not as objective in the same way.

Now you may argue that the criteria that is used for the rankings is not what it should be, but the system has evolved to where it is through a lot of tweaks over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

Easy - the national rankings are a beauty contest and the regional rankings are determined by NCAA criteria for who deserves a playoff spot. Apples and oranges. Happens in many NCAA sports because the national rankings are not as objective in the same way.

Now you may argue that the criteria that is used for the rankings is not what it should be, but the system has evolved to where it is through a lot of tweaks over the years.
                It was laughable at best that they were ranked 6th in the region or even 5th for that matter. That was the point. I don't care what criteria you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I think it has more to do with how close they are than whether there's a team between them. Last year the second SR2 ranking had West Florida a spot ahead of West Georgia even though UWG had the head-to-head.
                  West Florida got a spot ahead of West Ga due to them beating VSU and being conference co-champs.

Comment

Originally posted by FANOFTHEGAME13 View Post

West Florida got a spot ahead of West Ga due to them beating VSU and being conference co-champs.
                    This was before that game.

Comment

Not sure I like the new SAC conference set up. Will decide once the season of conference games are over. Any one else want to make a case in favor or against.

Comment

Not sure I like the new SAC conference set up. Will decide once the season of conference games are over. Any one else want to make a case in favor or against.
                        I like it. Brings excitement. I can't really think of a reason not to like it except it's weird not playing old SAC rivals like Wingate.

Comment

My question is, what happens in '24 when Anderson begins play. Will the SAC A) move forward with an uneven number of teams (13)
                          B) Add a 14th team or C) drop either Barton or Erskine to remain at 12 teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Saints Tailgating View Post

My question is, what happens in '24 when Anderson begins play. Will the SAC A) move forward with an uneven number of teams (13)
                            B) Add a 14th team or C) drop either Barton or Erskine to remain at 12 teams?
                            Based on what I know (which is all hypothetical), the most likely scenario would be to drop Barton and keep Erskine. Solely because who is there to add for a 14th team? Do you go back to the ODAC? Do you try to snipe Pembroke or Chowan? Heck lets pull a Big Ten and add a bunch of schools that make no sense.

Of course theres the folks who always bring up a conference carolinas football league but good God that's been a rumor for a decade plus and I'm not sure any of the schools would benefit from leaving their current place (for football purposes) to join that league. NGU, Pembroke, Barton, Erskine, Chowan. Still would need a 6th. Limestone is full SAC now so they aren't leaving.

I love this discussion, but i really don't know who the SAC would add. Top to bottom it's still the 2nd best league in the region.

Comment

So here is the current regional ranking for Super Region 2:
                              SUPER REGION TWO DII record Region record
                              1 Delta State (GSC) 8-0 7-0
                              2 Benedict (SIAC) 9-0 9-0
                              3 Wingate (SAC) 8-1 8-1
                              4 West Florida (GSC) 6-1 5-1
                              5 Virginia Union (CIAA) 7-1 7-1
                              6 Tusculum (SAC) 8-1 8-1
                              7 Tuskegee (SIAC) 7-1 7-1
                              8 Albany State (GA/SIAC) 7-1 7-1
                              9 Limestone (SAC) 6-2 6-2
                              10 Fayetteville State (CIAA) 7-2 7-2
                              At this point EA does not appear to be in play, and if the selection were held today there would be 2 GSC, 2 SIAC, 1 CIAA, and 2 SAC teams invited. Of course there are still games to play!

Comment

I’ll sure there are some that definitely know more than I but why is mars hill not getting love from the pollsters ??? Obviously beat TC Saturday and possibly beat whoever in the sac title game and it changes I’m guessing, but the limestone moss looks better and better

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X