Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrCorso View Post

Also, what happens to a Fort Valley without a game next week, and Limestone after an under .500 win?
    Limestone with a win actually is then no longer behind Fort Valley in DII win percentage and region win percentage, so that might counter the small loss in SOS numbers by having their last game against an opponent not doing that well.

But the real issue may depend on what Mars Hill does against Newberry (and assuming Wingate can get by UVA-Wise) as it would be really hard to justify 3 SAC schools in the playoffs. If Mars Hill wins, I suspect Limestone gets left out and if Newberry wins, it may almost be a coin toss as to whether Limestone or Newberry gets the second placement from the SAC in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

Limestone with a win actually is then no longer behind Fort Valley in DII win percentage and region win percentage, so that might counter the small loss in SOS numbers by having their last game against an opponent not doing that well.

But the real issue may depend on what Mars Hill does against Newberry (and assuming Wingate can get by UVA-Wise) as it would be really hard to justify 3 SAC schools in the playoffs. If Mars Hill wins, I suspect Limestone gets left out and if Newberry wins, it may almost be a coin toss as to whether Limestone or Newberry gets the second placement from the SAC in the playoffs.
      It’s going to be very interesting regardless. With a Mars Hill win, just by bumping folks up (assuming Tuskegee loses to Benedict), you have 3 SAC teams in by default.

With a Newberry win, I’m still confused on how it would be a coin toss. Newberry’s wins over LR, Wingate, and Mars Hill, should be way better than Limestone’s wins over Mars Hill and Newberry, right?

Plus, I’m still in complete confusion on Mars Hill’s resume over Newberry and West Georgia even.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
        I guess we need more out of conference games with these other conference teams that have a good record but terrible strength of schedule. I see some real blowout po games lining up this year.
        This seems to be the trick. Schedule the front runners in bad conferences and blow them out, making your SOS look better for a computer system! Obviously there can’t actually be a true committee behind these rankings.

Comment

Well could someone tell me who is responsible for the regional rankings and what exactly is the formula that is used. Who designed this formula?

Comment

It’s going to be very interesting regardless. With a Mars Hill win, just by bumping folks up (assuming Tuskegee loses to Benedict), you have 3 SAC teams in by default.

With a Newberry win, I’m still confused on how it would be a coin toss. Newberry’s wins over LR, Wingate, and Mars Hill, should be way better than Limestone’s wins over Mars Hill and Newberry, right?

Plus, I’m still in complete confusion on Mars Hill’s resume over Newberry and West Georgia even.
            I am honestly surprised that Mars Hill is slotted there instead of a ranked Newberry, that is part that leaves me a little confused on the rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBullyDawg View Post

I am honestly surprised that Mars Hill is slotted there instead of a ranked Newberry, that is part that leaves me a little confused on the rankings.
              Well the top 25 rankings have no bearing on the regional rankings. But it’s very confusing that a Tusculum win catapulted Mars Hill all the way to 6, while a win over the 3rd ranked team in SR2 did nothing for the Wolves.

Newberry: 8 D2 wins, wins over Wingate and LR
              Mars Hill: 7 D2 wins, win over Tusculum

I’m just super confused.

Comment

Well the top 25 rankings have no bearing on the regional rankings. But it’s very confusing that a Tusculum win catapulted Mars Hill all the way to 6, while a win over the 3rd ranked team in SR2 did nothing for the Wolves.

Newberry: 8 D2 wins, wins over Wingate and LR
                Mars Hill: 7 D2 wins, win over Tusculum

I’m just super confused.
                Agreed. If anything I would have guessed Newberry would’ve been slotted in the 5th spot with Wingate in the 6th or 7th. Wingate owns all of those tie breakers except Newberry and did not play Mars Hill this year. What this ranking is telling me is with a win on Saturday, Wingate should get in along with the winner between Newberry and Mars Hill even though I don’t agree with MH in there either way. I’m like you, confused. Should be a wild weekend.

Comment

Inkblot Is there any way we could get a bracket based on the current Regional Rankings?

Comment

Originally posted by MarsHillU2022 View Post
                    Inkblot Is there any way we could get a bracket based on the current Regional Rankings?
                    I've been busy with other sports most of the day but I should be able to get to it pretty soon.

Comment

• I really would like to know the reasons for ranking teams with week schedules above teams with stronger schedules. It appears that you are better of scheduling week we teams you can beat than say the #1 team in d2 and lose. So a win over a WSSU is better than a loss to Ferris State. In SR3 you have NWMS ranked in the top ten of all d2 but ranked out of po in the regional rankings. I believe the system is set up so teams in all conferences have equal footing regardless of how good they are. Its the world we live in today of sharing your accomplishments with others so they to can raise the bar and get stronger from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I've been busy with other sports most of the day but I should be able to get to it pretty soon.
                        Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrCorso View Post

If Mars Hill does win Saturday, How does three sac teams get in? Also if Mars hill losses how would Limestone get into the playoffs? Wouldn't Newberry get the Nod?

Comment

• Originally posted by MarsHillU2022 View Post

If Mars Hill does win Saturday, How does three sac teams get in? Also if Mars hill losses how would Limestone get into the playoffs? Wouldn't Newberry get the Nod?
                            I asked Chuck (via Twitter) about head-to head and he replied that it carries a good bit of weight. So, Limestone having the head-to-head on both Mars Hill & Newberry (provided Limestone wins Saturday) would put all three teams with 2 losses with Limestone having the head-to-head on both. I guess that is a path in for Limestone. I will say this, regardless of whether or not Limestone gets left out with 8 wins, you won't hear me complain. Going from 0-9 to 7 or 8 wins has been a fantastic ride and I'm ecstatic about that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
                              Well could someone tell me who is responsible for the regional rankings and what exactly is the formula that is used. Who designed this formula?
                              https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...ampsManual.pdf

This year's national committee:

SUPER REGION 1 Lonny Allen Director of Athletics Tiffin University and Paul Lueken Assistant to the Commissioner Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference
                              SUPER REGION 2 Brett Gilliland Head Football Coach University of West Alabama and Monica Gordy Polizzi, chair Senior Associate Director of Athletics/SWA Lenoir-Rhyne University
                              SUPER REGION 3 Matt Mitchell Head Football Coach Grand Valley State University and Meghan Mulcahy Associate Director of Athletics/SWA Northeastern State University
                              SUPER REGION 4 Jon Anderson Head Football Coach University of Sioux Falls and Dennis Francois Director of Athletics Central Washington University

This year's regional committee:

Anthony Bennett Fayetteville State CIAA
                              Mike Clowney Carson-Newman SAC
                              Gabe Giardina Albany State (Georgia) SIAC
                              Brett Gilliland West Alabama GSC
                              Monica Gordy Polizzi Lenoir-Rhyne SAC
                              Dr. Alvin Parker Virginia Union CIAA
                              Reggie Ruffin Tuskegee SIAC
                              Dave Scott West Florida GSC

Selection Criteria:

The following criteria shall be employed by a governing sport committee in selecting participants for NCAA championships competition [Reference: Bylaw 31.3.3 in the NCAA Manual; Criteria for Selection of Participants]:
                              ● Availability of student-athletes for NCAA championships; and
                              ● Nullification.

Required Selection Criteria. Following confirmation of the availability of student-athletes for NCAA Championships and the application for any nullification, the following selection criteria shall be applied in no particular order:
                              ● In-region winning percentage;
                              ● Division II winning percentage;
                              ● Division II strength of schedule (opponents’ average winning percentage and opponents’ opponents’ average winning percentage);
                              ● Division II head-to-head competition; and
                              ● Results versus Division II common opponents.

In addition to Bylaw 31.3.3, the Division II Football Committee has received approval from the Division II Championships Committee to consider the following criteria in the selection of at-large teams for the Division II Football Championship (not necessarily in priority order):
                              ● Division II results vs. teams with a winning record;
                              ● Performance Indicator (PI); and
                              ● Results versus ranked Division II opponents.

Once the opponents’ average winning percentage (OWP) and opponents’ opponents’ winning percentage (OOWP) are calculated, they are to be combined on a weighted scale (e.g., 2/3 weight for OWP and 1/3 weight for OOWP) and this combined number becomes the strength of schedule. Additionally, input is provided by regional advisory committees for consideration by the football committee.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarsHillU2022 View Post

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X