Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
    I see a good bit of blowouts in every SR. Delta would hang 80 on Valley!

Comment

• No one has been more critical of NEWBERRY than myself this year. However, if NEWBERRY were to beat Mars Hill Saturday, I struggle to understand how a 9-2 SAC Champion NEWBERRY team with wins over Lenior Rhyne, Wingate, and Mars Hill gets left out! When was the last time the Conference Champion failed to make the play-offs?

Hail to the Scarlet & Gray!

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints Tailgating View Post

I asked Chuck (via Twitter) about head-to head and he replied that it carries a good bit of weight. So, Limestone having the head-to-head on both Mars Hill & Newberry (provided Limestone wins Saturday) would put all three teams with 2 losses with Limestone having the head-to-head on both. I guess that is a path in for Limestone. I will say this, regardless of whether or not Limestone gets left out with 8 wins, you won't hear me complain. Going from 0-9 to 7 or 8 wins has been a fantastic ride and I'm ecstatic about that!
        Playoffs or Not, the debate for COTY isn't one. Furrey in a landslide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hailscarlet&gray View Post
          When was the last time the Conference Champion failed to make the play-offs?
          If you count co-champions and just the SAC, 2011. Before that 2007. I think, don't quote me.

Comment

Thank you soo much. Do you think if Mars Hill wins they could move up to possibly 4?

Comment

• Originally posted by MarsHillU2022 View Post

Thank you soo much. Do you think if Mars Hill wins they could move up to possibly 4?
              Yes.

Comment

Yes.
                Sir if you could be so kind. Help me with understanding..

Mars Hill. 7 D2 wins. 6 vs under .500 opponents. Won vs #7 (at the time) Tusculum.

How are they ranked higher than:

West Georgia. 7 D2 wins. 2 wins over 5-5 Carson Newman and 5-5 West Alabama. Won vs #1 (at the time) Delta State.

Newberry. 8 D2 wins. Won vs 7-3 LR and #3 (at the time) Wingate.

Limestone. 7 D2 wins. Beat 7-1 Mars Hill H2H. Also beat 8-2 Newberry.

MARS HILL HAS ONE QUALITY WIN. I have nothing against them as I have no dog in the fight but please make the criteria make sense.
                Last edited by MrCorso; 11-08-2022, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrCorso View Post

Sir if you could be so kind. Help me with understanding..

Mars Hill. 7 D2 wins. 6 vs under .500 opponents. Won vs #7 (at the time) Tusculum.

How are they ranked higher than:

West Georgia. 7 D2 wins. 2 wins over 5-5 Carson Newman and 5-5 West Alabama. Won vs #1 (at the time) Delta State.

Newberry. 8 D2 wins. Won vs 7-3 LR and #3 (at the time) Wingate.

Limestone. 7 D2 wins. Beat 7-1 Mars Hill H2H. Also beat 8-2 Newberry.

MARS HILL HAS ONE QUALITY WIN. I have nothing against them as I have no dog in the fight but please make the criteria make sense.
                  With the help of InkBlot's data (https://inkblotsports.com/d2stats/2223/mfb/sr2.html)

Team.....W-L........SOS.........Reg W-L.......Vs>.500.......W%+SOS.......Rk.......P.I... ....Rk.......RR

Wingate.....8-2..... .552...........8-2.................4-1..............1.352..............5........26.800. ...5........5
                  Mars Hill....7-1...... .475..........7-1.................1-1..............1.350..............6........25.375. ...8........6
                  Fort Vly......8-2...... .523..........8-2.................2-1..............1.323..............8........25.600. ..6........7
                  Limestone..7-2...... .523..........7-2.................2-2..............1.301..............9........25.556. ...7........8
                  Tuskeegee.8-1...... .439..........8-1.................0-1..............1.328..............7........25.111. ...10.......9
                  West GA....7-2...... .509..........7-2.................1-1...............1.287.............12.......24.444. ..12......10

Newberry....8-2...... .495..........8-2.................2-1...............1.295.............10......24.600.. ..11

You can see that for these numbers (much of the criteria required to consider) that MHU actually does pretty well in comparison with those teams around them. Looking at the W-L and the ranked columns (Modified RPI and Performance Indicator) it is clear that this particular ordering is not out of the ordinary. That one loss really helps!

Comment

• Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Playoffs or Not, the debate for COTY isn't one. Furrey in a landslide.
                    You won't get an argument from me on this.

Comment

No one has been more critical of NEWBERRY than myself this year. However, if NEWBERRY were to beat Mars Hill Saturday, I struggle to understand how a 9-2 SAC Champion NEWBERRY team with wins over Lenior Rhyne, Wingate, and Mars Hill gets left out! When was the last time the Conference Champion failed to make the play-offs?

Hail to the Scarlet & Gray!
                      I believe LR was left out as co champion in 2011 maybe

Comment

• If NEWBERRY wins Saturday and fails to make the playoffs, while 3 SIAC teams make the playoffs; then the entire system is a joke!

Comment

If NEWBERRY wins Saturday and fails to make the playoffs, while 3 SIAC teams make the playoffs; then the entire system is a joke!
                          It wouldn’t happen. I’m sure the winner is in. But if all teams that should win, win on Saturday. Your Wolves would likely jump:

Mars Hill
                          Tuskegee (assuming they lose to Benedict)
                          FVSU (no game)
                          Limestone (Wingate, LR, and Mars Hill quality wins for Newberry should trump only Newberry and Mars Hill quality wins for Limestone. Newberry would have two wins over CURRENT playoff field teams and Limestone would only have one.)

Good luck!

Comment

If NEWBERRY wins Saturday and fails to make the playoffs, while 3 SIAC teams make the playoffs; then the entire system is a joke!
                            I realize it is a BIG "if" as Mars Hill has a good football team; however, I do expect this to be a great game between two good teams.

Comment

• I don't feel as confident about the Wolves chances as you guys do honestly. I think they need more than just a win.

Let's assume the following happens and play under the assumption that Newberry is #11 in the regional rankings.

#1 Benedict wins and essentially eliminates #9 Tuskegee.
                              #2 Delta State clinches a playoff berth with a win over West Alabama.
                              #3 West Florida beats Mississippi College and clinches a spot.
                              #4 Virginia Union is idle so they are probably in already
                              #5 Wingate plays UVA Wise. Unless something crazy happens you assume Wingate wins and is in.

That's 5 of 7 spots already wrapped up in our hypothetical model

#6 Mars Hill plays #11 Newberry. Newberry obviously has to win.
                              #7 Fort Valley is idle. They want Tuskegee to lose along with Newberry and probably West Georgia just to feel safe.
                              #8 Limestone plays Emory & Henry. I think the Wolves are cheering for the Wasps obviously, because Limestone has the H2H over Newberry.

Comment

• Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                                I don't feel as confident about the Wolves chances as you guys do honestly. I think they need more than just a win.

Let's assume the following happens and play under the assumption that Newberry is #11 in the regional rankings.

#1 Benedict wins and essentially eliminates #9 Tuskegee.
                                #2 Delta State clinches a playoff berth with a win over West Alabama.
                                #3 West Florida beats Mississippi College and clinches a spot.
                                #4 Virginia Union is idle so they are probably in already
                                #5 Wingate plays UVA Wise. Unless something crazy happens you assume Wingate wins and is in.

That's 5 of 7 spots already wrapped up in our hypothetical model

#6 Mars Hill plays #11 Newberry. Newberry obviously has to win.
                                #7 Fort Valley is idle. They want Tuskegee to lose along with Newberry and probably West Georgia just to feel safe.
                                #8 Limestone plays Emory & Henry. I think the Wolves are cheering for the Wasps obviously, because Limestone has the H2H over Newberry.
                                If Newberry beats Mars Hill, then MHU drops at least below Fort Valley/Limestone. Stone with a win now has a record to match Fort Valley, and might even pass them. The problem Newberry has is to get in they would need to bypass Fort Valley/Limestone which is a big jump if now at even 11.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X