Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Saints Tailgating View Post

I'd rather be in and have a chance even if we lose than sitting at the house wishing.
    I'm simply going off what I've seen. I've seen Limestone in person. And you know I am pushing furrey for coty more than anyone. But it's not like last year when Newberry beat UWF.

However, if the Saints pull the upset ill get you to send me a shirt

Comment

• Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Fort Valley didn't make the playoffs
      I know I corrected it thanks. Can you believe this selection process is right. To me it appears to be favoring certain teams over ones more worthy and with a better sos and wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearhof View Post

I know I corrected it thanks. Can you believe this selection process is right. To me it appears to be favoring certain teams over ones more worthy and with a better sos and wins.
        I was just making sure I wasn't wrong when I told you Fort Valley didn't make it lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearhof View Post

Like I said this has been a crazy year in the SAC especially. Someone really likes Wingate or they sure are lucky being fifth and playing VaUnion and then the winner plays Benedict. Maybe Wingate has it figured out. You play Fayetteville State then Shaw to open the season then VaUnion and Benedict to end the season with a game against Delta or WFLA. Congratulations Limestone wish you luck but unfortunately I don’t think that will be enough against Your opponent. Something is wrong when conference champion is not in po but two other teams in conference are. Can someone enlighten me on this. Was it the narrow win against Catawba or the bad loss to CN. I think our conference best team when there qb. Is healthy was Newberry. Overall the best team that was left out was West Ga. In my opinion.
          The selection process is rarely about just one game. There are multiple criteria and that sets up a ranking for those things that are essentially just numbers (like SOS or W-L percentage), but criteria like head to head results generally get used to break near "ties". In the football rankings, there is no indication of who actually got the 5-7 "seeds" because only the top four teams per region get a seed (and a home game). So you cannot even tell for sure who is in the 5, 6 or 7 position - the committee reserves the right to move them around to help to minimize travel expenses, for example. The cost for a bus vs. a flight can be a substantial difference.

If you find the prechampionship handbook (I think someone posted a link in the General Discussion area) you can see all the primary (required) criteria and the approved secondary criteria to be considered, as well as the rules for dealing with seeding and travel. It is NOT a simple process.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

The selection process is rarely about just one game. There are multiple criteria and that sets up a ranking for those things that are essentially just numbers (like SOS or W-L percentage), but criteria like head to head results generally get used to break near "ties". In the football rankings, there is no indication of who actually got the 5-7 "seeds" because only the top four teams per region get a seed (and a home game). So you cannot even tell for sure who is in the 5, 6 or 7 position - the committee reserves the right to move them around to help to minimize travel expenses, for example. The cost for a bus vs. a flight can be a substantial difference.

If you find the prechampionship handbook (I think someone posted a link in the General Discussion area) you can see all the primary (required) criteria and the approved secondary criteria to be considered, as well as the rules for dealing with seeding and travel. It is NOT a simple process.
            Looking at InkBlot’s numbers, Newberry is identical or better in every mathematical equation. In addition, NC has one extra win vs +.500 competition, 2 wins over regionally ranked teams vs their 0, and a better record vs like competition which is a clearly stated consideration in the handbook.

Let’s be real, FSU got in because they have a representative on the committee!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrCorso View Post

Looking at InkBlot’s numbers, Newberry is identical or better in every mathematical equation. In addition, NC has one extra win vs +.500 competition, 2 wins over regionally ranked teams vs their 0, and a better record vs like competition which is a clearly stated consideration in the handbook.

Actually a committee member from a school under consideration has to leave the discussion if it involves their institution. I think the real issue is that to let 3 SAC teams in means that two of the three remaining conferences part of the region only get 1

With Newberry out then three conferences get two slots and only the SIAC gets a lone spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

Actually a committee member from a school under consideration has to leave the discussion if it involves their institution. I think the real issue is that to let 3 SAC teams in means that two of the three remaining conferences part of the region only get 1

With Newberry out then three conferences get two slots and only the SIAC gets a lone spot.
                I can recall the GSC getting 4 teams in and one being 7-4 some years back. They could care less about conference representation.

Comment

I can recall the GSC getting 4 teams in and one being 7-4 some years back. They could care less about conference representation.
                  And they shouldn’t care about conference representation. They should care about the best teams making the PO, plain and simple. For example, if the GSC has the 7 best teams in SR2 then they have the 7 best teams. We’re not running a 5 year old soccer league here guys.

Comment

FSU got in because they didn’t want a CIAA conference champion left out. There rankings criteria had them ninth in the region and they jumped not one not two but three teams. That is bias and totally unfair to the process of honesty.

Comment

• Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
                      Please remember the golden Rule: He who has the Gold Rules. So how in the world did Limestone get into the playoffs and Newberry did not? Could the great people of Limestone tell us where they found the GOLD?
                      According to the folks that cover D2 for this site (I watched the show on YouTube last nite) Limestone having the head-to-head and a slightly better SOS were two factors that helped us get in ahead of Newberry. They all said winning a conference championship doesn't count for anything as far as the committee is concerned, which is a hard concept to wrap your head around.

Comment

I'm simply going off what I've seen. I've seen Limestone in person. And you know I am pushing furrey for coty more than anyone. But it's not like last year when Newberry beat UWF.

However, if the Saints pull the upset ill get you to send me a shirt
                        With my comment, I just meant that for me, I've sit by wishing Limestone could one day just be in the conversation for a po spot. Coming from 0-9 to being in is just hard to fathom. Now that we're in, I certainly want to win but I understand what/who we are up against. I appreciate your support of Furrey for COTY!

P.S.
                        What size shirt? (Lol)

Comment

• FSU didn't get in because they had a rep on the committee. That's just being silly and factually incorrect.

Yes, I think Newberry should have gotten in. I don't have a valid explanation for why they didn't. Maybe the committee held the loss against C-N against them (but C-N wasn't a bad loss, like Wingate losing to 4-7 E&H). Limestone beat them h2h so I get them being in. It didn't help Newberry that North Greenville stunk this year and their other OOC game was Allen. But you figure the SAC schedule wouldve helped.

IDK. But the conspiracy theories are weak and y'all are better men (assuming you all are dudes) than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints Tailgating View Post

With my comment, I just meant that for me, I've sit by wishing Limestone could one day just be in the conversation for a po spot. Coming from 0-9 to being in is just hard to fathom. Now that we're in, I certainly want to win but I understand what/who we are up against. I appreciate your support of Furrey for COTY!

P.S.
                            What size shirt? (Lol)
                            I'll go look on thier bookstore website today and send it to you LOL.

Comment

FSU didn't get in because they had a rep on the committee. That's just being silly and factually incorrect.

Yes, I think Newberry should have gotten in. I don't have a valid explanation for why they didn't. Maybe the committee held the loss against C-N against them (but C-N wasn't a bad loss, like Wingate losing to 4-7 E&H). Limestone beat them h2h so I get them being in. It didn't help Newberry that North Greenville stunk this year and their other OOC game was Allen. But you figure the SAC schedule wouldve helped.

IDK. But the conspiracy theories are weak and y'all are better men (assuming you all are dudes) than that.
                              I’d love to see the final calculations. Maybe Wingate being 6-0 on the road certainly helped, despite the loss to a bad E&H team, which I still am pissed over.

Comment

• In the upcoming games between conferences, I believe we will see that there's now more parity than ever in the overall top to bottom strength of programs with the SAC, SIAC and the CIAA (IE LR vs Bowie State in last years regional game). However, even though even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a acorn, the overall year in year out strength of the GSC keeps them well elevated at the top of the regional pecking order. I believe that we will again see that play out again this year.

Congratulations, and best of luck to all the teams that made it into the playoffs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X