Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheBullyDawg View Post

I’d love to see the final calculations. Maybe Wingate being 6-0 on the road certainly helped, despite the loss to a bad E&H team, which I still am pissed over.
    One thing they never do is release that final data. This happens across all DII sports, so unless you are on one of the regional committees or know someone who is you wont find out.

The ONLY place where road vs home victories are meaningful is in calculating the performance indicator value. And BTW, that value is recalculated after every Saturday (because the points you get depend on the winning percentage of games for your opponent) using the record of the team you played at the time of the calculation. So while you may be playing a 5-1 team in the middle of the season, the points you earn in the calculation depend on the record of the team, for the final calculation, at the end of the season.

Link to NCAA explanation of PI: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...eIndicator.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

One thing they never do is release that final data. This happens across all DII sports, so unless you are on one of the regional committees or know someone who is you wont find out.

The ONLY place where road vs home victories are meaningful is in calculating the performance indicator value. And BTW, that value is recalculated after every Saturday (because the points you get depend on the winning percentage of games for your opponent) using the record of the team you played at the time of the calculation. So while you may be playing a 5-1 team in the middle of the season, the points you earn in the calculation depend on the record of the team, for the final calculation, at the end of the season.

Link to NCAA explanation of PI: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...eIndicator.pdf
      Thanks for sharing.

Based on the PI as long as my calculations are correct:
      Wingate = 286
      LR = 274
      Newberry = 276
      Limestone = 265

Comment

• I can not confirm this information, perhaps someone else can, but the reason Newberry is not in the playoffs may be due to having to forfeit a game. Again, I can neither confirm this nor explain where I got this information. Those of you with closer ties and better sources of information, please advise.

Comment

• Which game?

Comment

• Not the one against C-N :-P

Comment

• I can already hear the truck revving up haha

Comment

• I am not at liberty to say where the information came from and the information was as I stated. Again, I can not confirm it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
                  I can not confirm this information, perhaps someone else can, but the reason Newberry is not in the playoffs may be due to having to forfeit a game. Again, I can neither confirm this nor explain where I got this information. Those of you with closer ties and better sources of information, please advise.
                  I have not heard anything about Newberry having to forfeit a game. I think this is totally untrue and fabricated.

Comment

• I live in Newberry and am close to a lot of folks at the school, the athletic department, and community.

You've literally mentioned something that I haven't heard ANYTHING about. Not saying that I'm one that people WOULD mention that stuff to (I'm not that important), but I've been privy to a bit of info from the College before it gets out to the general public. Never has that info been a bad thing.

I'm super skeptical of that rumor. By a lot.

Comment

I have to think that the only reason Newberry was left out was because they beat Allen and North Greenville. Those two were a combined 4-16 on the year (AU at 1-8, NGU at 3-8). Wingate's OOC wins against Shaw and Fayetteville State are a combined 13-8.

That has to be the ONLY reason Wingate gets in over Newberry. Newberry's 'loss' is better than Wingate's, and Newberry beat them head to head....

Also - further confirmation - BearFan1 - Your source and their 'information' are totally wrong. My - legitimate - inside source says none of those rumors are true.

Comment

• Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
                        I can not confirm this information, perhaps someone else can, but the reason Newberry is not in the playoffs may be due to having to forfeit a game. Again, I can neither confirm this nor explain where I got this information. Those of you with closer ties and better sources of information, please advise.
                        I haven't heard anything either, and I spoke with the coaching staff late last week.

Comment

• To be clear: Fayetteville State's SOS is .003 higher than Newberry (and the records are euqal), so it's not that Newberry's profile is numerically better, I just would've thought the non-numerical aspects would've pushed Newberry ahead. FSU's profile is similar to that of Truman, who I thought was a good omission in SR3.

Comment

• I think Chuck Bitner hit the nail on the head! For the committee to stop after only looking at SOS when it was as close as it was between FSU and Newberry, they blew it!!

"Fayetteville State absolutely deserved to be in the conversation. That was not expected. Going into the weekend, it looked like their SOS would not be competitive even with a boost from 7-3 Chowan. But finishing at 9-2 with an SOS of .516 put Fayetteville State in the running. But it should not have put them in the field. Had Newberry not been in the frame, I could see Fayetteville State jumping over Fort Valley State. The numbers between those teams are very close and Fort Valley lost a game to a team under .500. But Newberry IS part of the picture and I think they should have gotten the final spot. Fayetteville State does have a tiny margin in SOS but the .516 to .513 comparison is negligible. Not enough to call it done and stop looking further. When you do look further into the selection criteria, Newberry has three wins over teams above .500. FSU has two. The Wolves have two wins over opponents in regional rankings (Wingate and Mars Hill). Fayetteville State has zero. The committee can also look at results against common opponents. This is in the selection criteria. Both teams played Wingate. Fayetteville State lost at home to Wingate, Newberry beat Wingate on the road. Those are significant factors that should have favored Newberry."

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBullyDawg View Post

Thanks for sharing.

Based on the PI as long as my calculations are correct:
                              Wingate = 286
                              LR = 274
                              Newberry = 276
                              Limestone = 265
                              Two points - first is that for Limestone, the opener against Gardner-Webb does not count.
                              Second - you divide by the number of games played.

From InkBlot's site:https://inkblotsports.com/d2stats/2223/mfb/sr2.html

PI final numbers for SAC (rank order):

Team/PI/Rank within Super Region 2

Wingate 26.364 5
                              Newberry 25.636 6
                              Limestone 25.600 7
                              L-R........25.091 10
                              Mars Hill 24.444 12
                              Tusculum 23.091 16
                              C-N........21.091 20
                              Barton 19.100 24
                              E & H......19.100 24
                              UVA-W ...14.111 40
                              Catawba 14.000 41
                              Erskine ..13.300 44

1 through 4 are Benedict, West Florida, Delta State, VUU. Tied with Limestone for 7 is Fort Valley State. Fayetteville State is #9. West Georgia was 11.

The PI is a very good indicator of positioning, as it contains a lot of information built in. But because it does not account very much for "good" conferences vs. "bad" conferences in terms of relative strength (most teams play the vast majority of their games within their own conference) it has a weakness.

Comment

Two points - first is that for Limestone, the opener against Gardner-Webb does not count.
                                Second - you divide by the number of games played.

From InkBlot's site:https://inkblotsports.com/d2stats/2223/mfb/sr2.html

PI final numbers for SAC (rank order):

Team/PI/Rank within Super Region 2

Wingate 26.364 5
                                Newberry 25.636 6
                                Limestone 25.600 7
                                L-R........25.091 10
                                Mars Hill 24.444 12
                                Tusculum 23.091 16
                                C-N........21.091 20
                                Barton 19.100 24
                                E & H......19.100 24
                                UVA-W ...14.111 40
                                Catawba 14.000 41
                                Erskine ..13.300 44

1 through 4 are Benedict, West Florida, Delta State, VUU. Tied with Limestone for 7 is Fort Valley State. Fayetteville State is #9. West Georgia was 11.

The PI is a very good indicator of positioning, as it contains a lot of information built in. But because it does not account very much for "good" conferences vs. "bad" conferences in terms of relative strength (most teams play the vast majority of their games within their own conference) it has a weakness.
                                Would Fayetteville be favored to win any game against Newberry Wingate LR Limestone Mars Hill Tusculum and CN. How about West Ga. I would give Fayetteville 24 points as underdogs against Newberry West Ga and LR maybe Limestone. Wingate couldn’t cover because they don’t have much of an offense.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X