Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BEARS View Post

Right. It’s apples and oranges. For my money when you consider the size of LR the amount of support we have is really unbeatable.
    As someone who grew up in Hickory and would go to L-R games (because it was cheap and fun)...what they've done since the last 2000's (Goldsmith era on) as far as bringing folks in has been impressive. And the way they are hospitable. C-N's alumni director RAVED about the treatment they got when C-N played there and the Bears offices helped them with an C-N alumni tailgate.

Comment

Thanks Mr C. We have all the conference flags up around the stadium too. I offered the CN coaches to come in to the Champions Club before the game for some chicken wings etc. but they said they couldn’t but liked that we had the Tennessee Vols game on so they were watching it before our game. I have always had a deep respect for CN especially under Sparks and the guy before him I think Shealey was his name. We have the desire to win at LR that’s very strong right now. There are some issues in the classroom that are concerning if the rumors are valid. I personally have concerns on what is being allowed in the whole school system across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
        . There are some issues in the classroom that are concerning if the rumors are valid. I personally have concerns on what is being allowed in the whole school system across the country.
        Hopefully LR's move to slash tuition rates by $13,000.00 per student per year will help change things.

Comment

Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
          *snip*

l administrations and support organizations may really have to get creative (within the rules) to build a larger support base and get attendance up.
          I wish it was easy. I know it is not.

But I also know that Salisbury could and would support Catawba, Kinston could and would support Barton, Hickory and the Unifour Area could and would support LR even better, with the right and creative and determined efforts.
          There's such great potential for Salisbury to support Catawba athletics but the motivation is absolutely not there at the school to do anything beyond the bare minimum in terms of outreach. It honestly has been that way for a long time, it was just easier for locals to come out when they were winning games/making the playoffs. And I say this as a former athlete there who still lives in the area. Things don't seem to be getting better, but I guess there's social media nowadays so at least they use that, but it doesn't help reach the general public. Totally agree that you've got to get creative, but there doesn't seem to be the will at all.

They could at least try to do some sort of advertising upcoming games downtown (I don't think the school has that space on the square anymore but just some sandwich boards would be at least something) not to mention when the city launched Fibrant/whatever it is called now (its own fiber optic network offering internet/tv service) that was a golden opportunity to jump on board. Could have done some great stuff with sports coverage there with minimum investment in equipment and students being involved but again, nothing.

Comment

Limestone is fighting the same issues in Gaffney/Cherokee County. We could probably do a better job with community engagement but when it comes to football we are up against a traditional monster in Gaffney High Football and I mean that in a good way towards Gaffney High.. If you don't live here or in the upstate area, it may be hard to understand. 18 State titles (most in SC history) and the community is consumed with it year round. Even with us winning some this year, I've not seen many non-parent community folks at the games.

Comment

Yeah, that sounds like a major competitor. Sounds like they could do some cross-promotion there to get the ball rolling, like discounted entry to the Limestone game with your ticket from the Gaffney game the night before or something like that. Here in Salisbury, it's just high school football in general, there's not a single team that has dominated like that, but by the same token, there's not a major competitor nearby on Saturdays. I guess UNCC and Wake Forest would be the closest D1 programs but I doubt the venn diagram of supporters between those two and Catawba overlaps much.

Just seems like with some minimum effort Catawba could promote athletics to the youth sports around here, on up to high school. I know hosting high school games was mentioned once they got the new turf but I'm not sure if they have. They hosted some semi-pro football games since the turf and scoreboard were done right in the thick of covid but I think that was really more to test things out more than anything else.

Comment

Besides Clemson & South Carolina, we are also close by to Furman & Wofford which doesn't help either

Comment

I'm guessing the main issue with UVA-Wise is that it's in the far southwestern portion of Virginia. The next closest public 4-year college is nearly 3 hours east, so anyone east of that needs some reason as to why to go to Wise instead of the other colleges. Also, in Wise's local area, there is Emory & Henry, ETSU, Tusculum, Carson-Newman, King, and Pikeville.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints Tailgating View Post
                    Besides Clemson & South Carolina, we are also close by to Furman & Wofford which doesn't help either
                    Likelyl. Also, I think there's North Greenville and USC-Upstate

Comment

I am also disappointed by the faculty and staff not supporting their student-athletes. I remember getting papers back from my high school Spanish teacher who would comment on the game because she would grade papers in the stands during breaks in the action.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X