Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catawba

Any word on a coaching change or is Curtis immune from accountability? We have been downhill since 2017 and things are not looking good for the near future.

Catawba has much to be proud of and certainly could return to TOP of the Hill with the right staff, I am sure. Hoping for the best to one of LR's strongest sister institutions.

Comment

Catawba has the right bones to be a top program in the SAC. Great stadium, good fan support - just need a little cash injection and some smart hiring moves to send them over the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
        Catawba has the right bones to be a top program in the SAC. Great stadium, good fan support - just need a little cash injection and some smart hiring moves to send them over the edge.
        Give me 250 million and I will take Catawba to the top of the Southern Conference. When they put that money to work on athletics look out because they will own the SAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post

Give me 250 million and I will take Catawba to the top of the Southern Conference. When they put that money to work on athletics look out because they will own the SAC.
          I thought Catawba folks said not much of that money is going to make it's way over to athletics. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm rpetty sure

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

I thought Catawba folks said not much of that money is going to make it's way over to athletics. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm rpetty sure
            It's not. Most of the earmarked money is going to the endowment and their environmental studies programs. Even if not much of the money is going to athletics directly, I'm a firm believer that a rising tide lifts all ships so an improvement in other areas of the school should boost Catawba's athletics.

Still think they'd be wise to consider becoming a university. Grad programs are a CASH COW for universities - LR makes an absolute killing from the Asheville and Columbia campuses.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
              Still think they'd be wise to consider becoming a university. .
              Don't let all the "old whites" hear this. It's been almost a decade and people still piss moan and (sorry Brandon) bit** about Carson-Newman not being "Carson-Newman College" anymore. Refusing to buy or wear any merchandise that says university and acting like it's the end of the world.

Call a therapist and get over it.

Comment

They don't pay anything so I'd imagine it would be hard to find a replacement unless you're gonna go young/unproven. Really nice facilities, no doubt, but there has always been a disconnect between admin and athletics and it seems to be getting worse. That and there's next to no outreach to get the community involved when it comes to athletics, has been that way forever and there's just no real excuse for it. Combine that with the new "branding" and the local general public's reaction to it and it just seems like there's less hope. I honestly think Livingstone has much better local support when it comes to athletics, again speaking to the community, not local alumni or parents of students. It's beyond befuddling at this point.

Comment

Don't let all the "old whites" hear this. It's been almost a decade and people still piss moan and (sorry Brandon) bit** about Carson-Newman not being "Carson-Newman College" anymore. Refusing to buy or wear any merchandise that says university and acting like it's the end of the world.

Call a therapist and get over it.
                  Why bring race into this thread? I have never seen or heard anyone (of any age or race) complain about the name transition from college to university. To the contrary, every alumni / fan I know is proud of the change. Could there be other reasons that the sales of Eagles merchandise is down, like the drop in winning percentage in recent years?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Why bring race into this thread? I have never seen or heard anyone (of any age or race) complain about the name transition from college to university. To the contrary, every alumni / fan I know is proud of the change. Could there be other reasons that the sales of Eagles merchandise is down, like the drop in winning percentage in recent years?
                    You obviously weren't here at homecoming then. Or on campus any other time they have events for alums, especially older ones. There are constant complaints about not having "Carson-Newman College" stuff at the university bookstore.

Also the term "old whites" isn't about race. It's about people who complain for complaining's sake, about anything for any reason. The fact that the folks who piss and moan about the name change the most being older white folks is the facts though.

Comment

Originally posted by CATUSUPPORTER View Post
                      Any word on a coaching change or is Curtis immune from accountability? We have been downhill since 2017 and things are not looking good for the near future.
                      igun
                      I was told Curtis met with the AD Cattigun for over a hour. Some alums want a change and are putting pressure on Cattigun. Some, including Timmy and Tommy, want him to get one more year to turn things around. Suppose to meet again this week.
                      Da Bears

Comment

You obviously weren't here at homecoming then. Or on campus any other time they have events for alums, especially older ones. There are constant complaints about not having "Carson-Newman College" stuff at the university bookstore.

Also the term "old whites" isn't about race. It's about people who complain for complaining's sake, about anything for any reason. The fact that the folks who piss and moan about the name change the most being older white folks is the facts though.
                        You're right, I wasn't there at homecoming.

So based on your analogy, it's perfectly acceptable on this board (when describing something that some people don't like) to use the term "OLD______" (fill in the blank with any race)?

Comment

To me it would just sound off because in my mind (and certainly not a factual statement) university infers a larger school. I know that in reality it doesn't, just seems odd calling a tiny school like Catawba a university. Not to mention the questionnaire that went out years ago said they were considering making the change "to avoid confusion between Catawba College and Catawba Valley Community College" which was the worst reason to give for changing it. I swear they put no effort into thinking through so much of the stuff they put out there.

I hope they give Coach Walker more time to turn it around but I have no idea what is going on, and at this point am more interested in UNC.

Comment

You're right, I wasn't there at homecoming.

So based on your analogy, it's perfectly acceptable on this board (when describing something that some people don't like) to use the term "OLD______" (fill in the blank with any race)?
                            Obviously not. Don't be ignorant.

Your arm must be permanently in an arm sling with how much you reach

Comment

A word about College vs University. While it does not matter a whole lot to us "US of Aers"; apparently it does matter a lot in the race to attract foreign students. I have been told by more than one "academy" that to most of the rest of the world, "college" implies junior college or trade school; whereas "University" implies upper level studies including graduate degree programs.

Especially important for the every growing desire for and need for students at our smaller, private institutions of learning.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X