Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One and done? SAC Conference Championship

Should the conference already consider getting rid of this clearly pointless game? This year was the best case scenario, and it caused nobody’s schedule to change, but what about when it starts changing 3 and 4 games? Is it more headache than good?

I ask this, because it’s clear that being a part of it means zero towards postseason competition. We knew there were no “automatic bids”, but the southeastern D2 world seems stunned and confused by the snubbing of SAC Champion Newberry, who to be honest, besides a slip up on homecoming, appeared to be playing better than anyone in the conference over the last 4 weeks. They have had some HUGE wins in which many of us picked against them.

Originally posted by MrCorso View Post
    Should the conference already consider getting rid of this clearly pointless game? This year was the best case scenario, and it caused nobody’s schedule to change, but what about when it starts changing 3 and 4 games? Is it more headache than good?

I ask this, because it’s clear that being a part of it means zero towards postseason competition. We knew there were no “automatic bids”, but the southeastern D2 world seems stunned and confused by the snubbing of SAC Champion Newberry, who to be honest, besides a slip up on homecoming, appeared to be playing better than anyone in the conference over the last 4 weeks. They have had some HUGE wins in which many of us picked against them.
    No. They shouldn't. It's a non conversation and it's not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCorso View Post

The bigger problem is playing favorites and jumping one team three spots over teams with better resumes on the teams they played and won. Its the wrong culture to promote your in evan though two other teams are better qualified.

Comment

I love the format, makes for an exciting end to the season and the SAC championship game gives the winner an extra chance to bolster their resume by winning against quality opposition. The Newberry snub here is really baffling to me because, in theory, the championship win should only help Newberry.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
          I love the format, makes for an exciting end to the season and the SAC championship game gives the winner an extra chance to bolster their resume by winning against quality opposition. The Newberry snub here is really baffling to me because, in theory, the championship win should only help Newberry.
          Chuck Bitner summed it up in his comments. The committee blew it when comparing FSU and Newberry for the final spot. They only considered SOS rather than taking the totality of the season into consideration!

"Fayetteville State absolutely deserved to be in the conversation. That was not expected. Going into the weekend, it looked like their SOS would not be competitive even with a boost from 7-3 Chowan. But finishing at 9-2 with an SOS of .516 put Fayetteville State in the running. But it should not have put them in the field. Had Newberry not been in the frame, I could see Fayetteville State jumping over Fort Valley State. The numbers between those teams are very close and Fort Valley lost a game to a team under .500. But Newberry IS part of the picture and I think they should have gotten the final spot. Fayetteville State does have a tiny margin in SOS but the .516 to .513 comparison is negligible. Not enough to call it done and stop looking further. When you do look further into the selection criteria, Newberry has three wins over teams above .500. FSU has two. The Wolves have two wins over opponents in regional rankings (Wingate and Mars Hill). Fayetteville State has zero. The committee can also look at results against common opponents. This is in the selection criteria. Both teams played Wingate. Fayetteville State lost at home to Wingate, Newberry beat Wingate on the road. Those are significant factors that should have favored Newberry."

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X