Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will the standings be counted this year?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will the standings be counted this year?

Does anyone know how many cross-divisional games will counted in the SIAC standings this year?

Everyone in the West plays two, except Miles who plays four. In the East three teams play two, two teams play three, and Savannah State plays none. I don't know if SSU, as a reclassifying team, is eligible for the SIAC title game (and if they're not, do games against them count in the standings for the other team?).

I'm not sure about SSU being eligible for the SIAC title game, but I believe the SIAC has always only counted division games when determining who makes it to the championship game. If you look at 2016 TU had a better overall conference record then Kentucky State, but Kentucky State won the West because they beat TU and were undefeated in the West.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
      I'm not sure about SSU being eligible for the SIAC title game, but I believe the SIAC has always only counted division games when determining who makes it to the championship game. If you look at 2016 TU had a better overall conference record then Kentucky State, but Kentucky State won the West because they beat TU and were undefeated in the West.
      Having compiled SIAC standings back through 2004 for Wikipedia, I can tell you that it hasn't been consistent. The last two years, two cross-divisional games counted for everyone. In 2016, as you pointed out, none did. There have also been years when three counted.

I'd agree that it's most likely that no cross-divisional games will count this year. That's been the case both previous years there have been uneven divisions (2015 and 2013).

Comment

Which crossover games count is predetermined before the season starts. For example: Saturday's Miles at Fort Valley State game does not count for FVSU as a conference game and almost sure it is the same for Miles.

Comment

Originally posted by pennbraz View Post
          Which crossover games count is predetermined before the season starts. For example: Saturday's Miles at Fort Valley State game does not count for FVSU as a conference game and almost sure it is the same for Miles.
          Yeah, but I haven't found any source that actually says which ones count (if any).

Comment

This is from the SIAC website:

Division champion determined by six-game conference schedule. If institution plays more than
            two-cross over games, only the last two cross-over games count toward divisional record.

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post
              This is from the SIAC website:

Division champion determined by six-game conference schedule. If institution plays more than
              two-cross over games, only the last two cross-over games count toward divisional record.
              Is that still the case this year? The east division has six teams now, one of whom plays no cross-division games.

Comment

I honestly don't know, Just realized I got that from under the 2018 standings. There is no such comments under the 2019 standing so far.

Comment

Fort Valley for example plays Miles this week and at Central State in the middle of the season. Of the two West opponents, only Central State counts in the SIAC standings along with the 5 Eastern Division games for its 6 countable games...each SIAC team knows which games will be countable as the conference gave out a list of the countable games for each team

Comment

Fort Valley for example plays Miles this week and at Central State in the middle of the season. Of the two West opponents, only Central State counts in the SIAC standings along with the 5 Eastern Division games for its 6 countable games...each SIAC team knows which games will be countable as the conference gave out a list of the countable games for each team
                    What about Savannah State? They don't play any cross-division games.

Comment

Maybe since they are not eligible for the conference title it doesn't matter. :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

What about Savannah State? They don't play any cross-division games.
                        Actually, Savannah State has the 5 Eastern Division games and then Edward Waters as its crossover game. EWC was accepted into the SIAC and is playing a Western Division schedule despite not being in DII yet at this point

Comment

Actually, Savannah State has the 5 Eastern Division games and then Edward Waters as its crossover game. EWC was accepted into the SIAC and is playing a Western Division schedule despite not being in DII yet at this point
                          Huh. Do games against EWC count in the standings for West teams?

And do you happen to know what all the counting cross-division games are?

Comment

That don't sound right. I don't think you can count a team as a conference win if that team isn't in the same division as a conference . EWC has the invitation to the SIAC but still has to transition to division 2 before they can officially join.
                            Last edited by SkegeeGrad151; 09-09-2019, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I've obtained the official list of counting games. Two crossover games count for West teams, and one for East teams. The following games will not count:

Miles at Fort Valley State (both teams)
                              Morehouse at Miles (both teams)
                              Central State at Clark Atlanta (counts for CSU but not CAU)
                              Tuskegee at Albany State (counts for TU but not ASU)
                              Clark Atlanta at Miles (counts for Miles but not CAU)
                              Kentucky State at Morehouse (counts for Morehouse but not KSU)
                              Miles at Benedict (counts for Miles but not Benedict)

No explanation was given as to Savannah State's lack of crossover games and whether they're eligible for the championship game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X