Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Waters

After looking at recently released schedules I see that Morehouse and Tuskegee are both traveling to Edward Waters (NAIA) this year. I was actually kind of surprised to see two SIAC schools, especially ones with generally great attendance, willing to travel to a NAIA school.

I know there name comes up every so often about trying to move up to D2, but any idea if there has been a renewed push?

Re: Edward Waters

Here is an article. I think the coach wants to move up to D2 in the future. Not sure how viable that is for the school though.
    https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/...aters-football

As far as Skegee and Morehouse traveling to them. Only reason I can think of is recruiting purpose. I can't think of the last time Tuskegee played in Florida. I know we get a few kids from Florida every year.

Comment

Add Savannah State to the list of SIAC schools traveling to Edward Waters this year.

Comment

Edward Waters is playing 7 SIAC schools this year, while hosting 4 of them, and 1 CIAA school. It looks like they must have left their NAIA conference behind, as they only have one NAIA team on the schedule. Additionally if you read the quotes from below it seems like they have a mission to ultimately be in the SIAC (even though it's not exactly stated). http://www.ewctigerpride.com/article/292.php

"As a part of our continuing trajectory towards becoming the State of Florida's destination institution of Emerging Eminence we are excited to usher in this new era of HBCU branded Tiger football at EWC here on the First Coast ", said EWC President & CEO, Dr. A. Zachary Faison, Jr.

"We are ecstatic to build upon the new excitement that this schedule will undoubtedly create amongst our College stakeholders and throughout greater Jacksonville as we seek to engender new interest in our institution and further amplify the EWC brand for future growth", President Faison said.

"Our program is overjoyed to bring President Faison's vision for Tiger Football into fruition in the form of our 2019 football schedule", remarked Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, Stanley B. Cromartie. "For years, our fans have been begging to have more of an HBCU experience at our football games complete with marching band battles and all of the things that make HBCU football a unique one-of-a-kind showcase."

Comment

I wouldn't mind adding EWC to the SIAC but that will put another team in the east once football start. May have to drop the division format and go with the top two teams meeting in the championship game (similar to the Big 12 this past season)

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post
            I wouldn't mind adding EWC to the SIAC but that will put another team in the east once football start. May have to drop the division format and go with the top two teams meeting in the championship game (similar to the Big 12 this past season)
            That wouldn't be a bad idea, and it would give the SIAC champ a nice SOS bump for playoff purposes.

Comment

There are only three other football-playing HBCUs in the NAIA (Allen, Langston, Texas College), so if they want to play an all-HBCU schedule they won't be playing many NAIA schools.

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post
                Wouldn't the addition of EWC bring the SIAC football count to 12 schools when you factor in Savannah State (while also presuming the CIAA doesn't eventually pluck Benedict away)? The SIAC might have to reconsider division formats from east/west to north/south or something along those lines, but 12 teams in the SIAC would either require a "silo schedule" where everyone faces each other in a round robin format and eliminate the championship game (see: MIAA and GAC) or two six-team divisions in order to retain the championship game.

Presuming EWC eventually makes the transition to D2 and the SIAC, would the league have to seriously consider how important the championship game is before deciding whether or not to expand beyond the (soon-to-be) 11 football schools next season?
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                  Wouldn't the addition of EWC bring the SIAC football count to 12 schools when you factor in Savannah State (while also presuming the CIAA doesn't eventually pluck Benedict away)? The SIAC might have to reconsider division formats from east/west to north/south or something along those lines, but 12 teams in the SIAC would either require a "silo schedule" where everyone faces each other in a round robin format and eliminate the championship game (see: MIAA and GAC) or two six-team divisions in order to retain the championship game.

Presuming EWC eventually makes the transition to D2 and the SIAC, would the league have to seriously consider how important the championship game is before deciding whether or not to expand beyond the (soon-to-be) 11 football schools next season?
                  That's a good question, as I remember there have been a few seasons where some of the bad teams from the conference put out schedules with games already scheduled during Week 11 (fairly certain Benedict and Stillman both did that at some point).

For pure travel purposes if the SIAC went to 12 teams I would hope they go the division route with 2 or 3 cross overs. Trips from places like Lane and Central State to Benedict and Savannah are no joke to make on a somewhat regular bases, especially if you would add EWC to the mix.

Comment

With the current division format we already don't play everybody every year. But yeah divisions make since with 12 football teams but like stated above the division format would have to be re-evaluated due to 7 teams (including SSU and EWC) teams being more east then the others. One of the GA schools would have to switch to west.

Comment

Was Central State in danger of being kicked out the GMAC or something? I mean those trips to/from Wiberforce, OH have to be an absolute b**** financially and physically.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
                        Was Central State in danger of being kicked out the GMAC or something? I mean those trips to/from Wiberforce, OH have to be an absolute b**** financially and physically.
                        Central State didn't sponsor certain "core" sports required by the GMAC. I think they were kicked out or in the process of being kicked out when they joined the SIAC, but I forget the exact details.
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Did a little research on EWC and that it's undergrad enrollment is right around 1,000. Not what I would say is ideal for a private school trying to jump from NAIA to D2. Maybe if their enrollment was around 2K for a solid decade I'd feel a lot more confident about a move being made.

Also, where do they play their home games? Their website only had a practice field listed in it's facilities, and the team schedule didn't provide addition info either. Is their some municipal stadium in Jacksonville they're using?

SN: I really like their tiger logo :good:

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
                            Did a little research on EWC and that it's undergrad enrollment is right around 1,000. Not what I would say is ideal for a private school trying to jump from NAIA to D2. Maybe if their enrollment was around 2K for a solid decade I'd feel a lot more confident about a move being made.

Also, where do they play their home games? Their website only had a practice field listed in it's facilities, and the team schedule didn't provide addition info either. Is their some municipal stadium in Jacksonville they're using?

SN: I really like their tiger logo :good:
                            I think they play their home games at a local high school, but they are building an on campus stadium that I believe is set to open in 2020. https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...dium/772816925

I'm fairly certain Edward Waters is bigger than current SIAC members Paine and Lemoyne Owen, granted neither sponsors football but Paine tried it for one season. If they have the funding and push I think they could do it.

Also, it looks like they are trying to push "HBCU experience" as a selling point to attract new students and support. Considering how big FL is there are only four HBCU's, and Bethune-Cookman is going through massive problems. With the right strategy, and it doesn't hurt being in the largest city in the state, EWC could see quick growth.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
                              it doesn't hurt being in the largest city in the state, EWC could see quick growth.
                              Thats a technicality based upon huge city boundaries that spread into the Florida countryside. Tampa metro is twice as big as Jax metro, Miami metro is four times bigger. Jax metro is considerably smaller than Orlando metro also.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X