Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIAC 2021 divisions????

I saw the conference's preseason honors and noticed something odd. With the additions of Edwards Waters and Allen the SIAC now has 13 football playing members. The balance of the divisions is way off now. This year the eastern division will have 8 teams, while the western only has 5.

SIAC Announces 2021 Football Preseason Honors - SIAC (thesiac.com)

Is there any particular reason the SIAC chose not to move any of the Georgia schools to the west? Technically speaking I believe Morehouse and Clark Atlanta are the two western most of the Georgia schools (you would think having Morehouse and Tuskegee in the same division would have been preferred). I know uneven divisions are going to happen when there's an odd number of members. With that said the choice to go with a 8-5 split over a 7-6 split is ridiculous to me.

Anybody know the what the deal is with this?

I have been hoping the SIAC would redraw divisions for a while. I propose;

Northwest (7)
    Central State
    Kentucky State
    Lane College
    LeMoyne-Owen College
    Miles College
    Clark Atlanta
    Morehouse College

Southeast (8)
    Spring Hill College
    Tuskegee
    Fort Valley State
    Albany State
    Edward Waters
    Savannah State
    Allen
    Benedict College

Each division has 1 non-football school and has 2 schools in one location. The Atlanta schools are actually closer than Memphis is to Central State. The longest NW division distance is 542 miles and the longest SE division distance is 539 miles; currently the West is 779 miles while the East is 347 miles.

Comment

I don't know to what extent Allen and Edward Waters are considered part of the conference this year. Allen isn't playing a full conference schedule; Edward Waters is, but predominantly a West Division schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
        I don't know to what extent Allen and Edward Waters are considered part of the conference this year. Allen isn't playing a full conference schedule; Edward Waters is, but predominantly a West Division schedule.
        Allen is repeating Provisional Year One in their transition from NAIA to D2; Edward Waters is beginning their move to D2 this season and, as I recall, had previously entered into a scheduling alliance with some SIAC schools (this was before their D2 application was approved by the NCAA). I would hope that the SIAC can develop a more rational divisional alignment for next season because this is just insane.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Allen is repeating Provisional Year One in their transition from NAIA to D2; Edward Waters is beginning their move to D2 this season and, as I recall, had previously entered into a scheduling alliance with some SIAC schools (this was before their D2 application was approved by the NCAA). I would hope that the SIAC can develop a more rational divisional alignment for next season because this is just insane.
          In 2019 Edward Waters had a SIAC scheduling alliance and played a West Division schedule to balance the numbers. Allen puts them back on an odd number.

Just throwing this out there... I wonder if they'd consider giving Bluefield State a scheduling alliance or membership of some sort?

Comment

I have no idea why the conference would release a unbalance division list like this. Hopefully there is some clarification on how the division winner is decided given the unbalance. Maybe they will just count conference wins. who know??
            Also looking a map of the schools we may need to go to north/south like Tech Boys did above because the furthest west team in the East in Albany State but it is also the furthest south (besides Edward waters)

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post
              I have no idea why the conference would release a unbalance division list like this. Hopefully there is some clarification on how the division winner is decided given the unbalance. Maybe they will just count conference wins. who know??
              Also looking a map of the schools we may need to go to north/south like Tech Boys did above because the furthest west team in the East in Albany State but it is also the furthest south (besides Edward waters)
              Allen and Edward Waters are ineligible for the title game and neither plays a full East Division schedule. I'm not certain whether games against them count in the standings for the other team.

Comment

OK yeah maybe next time they should put them in as foot note rather than in the actual division because it looks confusing. But realigned definitely needs to happen once they become full members. You probably going to have to move the Atlanta schools west or go to a north south format.

Comment

OK yeah maybe next time they should put them in as foot note rather than in the actual division because it looks confusing. But realigned definitely needs to happen once they become full members. You probably going to have to move the Atlanta schools west or go to a north south format.
                  Basically all I did above is flip the Atlanta schools with Tuskegee and Spring Hill from the current division alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I wonder if they'd consider giving Bluefield State a scheduling alliance or membership of some sort?
                    You would think Bluefield State would ultimately end up in the Mountain East, with the GMAC and/or CIAA as more likely possibilities than the SIAC.

Is it possible the SIAC is keeping an invite open for South Carolina State? From what I've been told by SCSU alums, the school is still dealing with the aftermath of the financial scare it had some years ago. They're not out of the woods from that just yet. I know their enrollment has declined in the last decade. Some in the collective SCSU nation may want to continue to hold on to that MEAC/D1 banner, but at some point smart financial decisions should outweigh pride.

South Carolina State to the SIAC (years from now) would get the conference back to an even number of football schools.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

You would think Bluefield State would ultimately end up in the Mountain East, with the GMAC and/or CIAA as more likely possibilities than the SIAC.

Is it possible the SIAC is keeping an invite open for South Carolina State? From what I've been told by SCSU alums, the school is still dealing with the aftermath of the financial scare it had some years ago. They're not out of the woods from that just yet. I know their enrollment has declined in the last decade. Some in the collective SCSU nation may want to continue to hold on to that MEAC/D1 banner, but at some point smart financial decisions should outweigh pride.

South Carolina State to the SIAC (years from now) would get the conference back to an even number of football schools.
                      The GMAC is now out of WV, I don't see them going back there again but the GMAC does sponsor every Bluefield State sport except Acro & Tumbling. The top candidates I see for Bluefield State full membership is Mountain East and Carolinas. The MEC sponsors all BSC sports except Bowling and the CC sponsors all BSC sports except Football. Neither the CIAA or the SIAC would be a good fit for Bluefield State. BSC has 22 sports and the CIAA does not sponsor 7 BSC sports while the SIAC does not sponsor 8 BSC sports. Football affiliation is possible with either conference if BSC is interested in that arrangement.

Comment

Talladega college may be coming home!! They maybe adding football over the next couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Red09 View Post
                          Talladega college may be coming home!! They maybe adding football over the next couple of years.
                          would the siac have to ask them join before they apply for Division 2?

Comment

would the siac have to ask them join before they apply for Division 2?
                            Yes.

Application for NCAA Division II Membership

Pursuant to NCAA Constitution 3.1.1 (general), membership in the NCAA is available to colleges, universities, athletics conferences or associations and other groups that are related to intercollegiate athletics that have acceptable academic standards (e.g., the institution is accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies) and that are located in the United States, Mexico and Canada, its territories or possessions. Such institutions or organizations must accept and observe the principles set forth in the constitution and bylaws of the NCAA. An institution must also receive a bona fide invitation for membership from an active Division II conference before applying for Division II membership.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X