• Show
Clear All

• 2017 All-GAC Awards

Here are the awards
    write up: http://greatamericanconference.com/n...nd-awards.aspx
    the list: http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.co...FB_ALL_GAC.pdf

To quote our friend Gorilla Guy, "read them and weep."

Re: 2017 All-GAC Awards

No surprise with Mookie Douglas winning freshman of the year. I couldn't be more excited about this great running back from the great town of Lawton, OK. He has a bright future ahead, especially with a potentially a whole new look to the program moving forward.

Comment

Surprised to see Harris wasn't OPOTY (Although Tolliver is a stud). Surprised to see Blankenship wasn't DPOTY.

Surprised Andrew Black only got honorable mention for HSU. 1200 yards of total offense and 16 TDs can't even get you 2nd team? That's tough.

Comment

Comment

You are right

Sears is worthy

Tollivar will be something special

Comment

Keep in mind Oliver hurt the first half the year. Played, but was nowhere near 100%.

Would have liked for Harris to get POY, but I have no problem with Tolliver. Heck of a player.

Comment

SPECIAL TEAMS GEEK ALERT!

I know most of you guys don't care too much about Special Teams, but here's something someone needs to explain to me.

ALL CONFERENCE PUNTERS:

1st Team: Mikell (HSU)
              2nd Team: Carlos (SEOK) & Watson (Tech)
              HM: Wooley (Ouachita)

Carlos doesn't rank in the top three in any punting statistic except punts Inside the 20. His average is 6th in the GAC.
              Wooley out ranks Watson in EVERY punting category.

How does Carlos earn anything as a punter?
              How is Wooley not 2nd team?
              Last edited by PATRIOT; 11-14-2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PATRIOT View Post
                SPECIAL TEAMS GEEK ALERT!

I know most of you guys don't care too much about Special Teams, but here's something someone needs to explain to me.

ALL CONFERENCE PUNTERS:

1st Team: Mikell (HSU)
                2nd Team: Carlos (SEOK) & Watson (Tech)
                HM: Wooley (Ouachita)

Carlos doesn't rank in the top three in any punting statistic except punts Inside the 20. His average is 6th in the GAC.
                Wooley out ranks Watson in EVERY punting category.

How is Carlos earn anything as a punter?
                How is Wooley not 2nd team?
                There is a lot of things I don't understand about post season awards, on all levels.

Comment

Originally posted by sozo View Post
                  There is a lot of things I don't understand about post season awards, on all levels.
                  Yeah man, get in line if you have a complaint with these.

Comment

ALL PURPOSE Cl G Rush Rcv PR KR Yards Yards/G
                    1. Braden Stringer-ATU SR 11 755 39 248 490 1532 139.3
                    2. Allie Freeman-OUA SO 11 45 900 84 429 1458 132.5
                    3. Drew Harris-OUA JR 11 489 723 6 173 1391 126.5
                    4. Horatio Smith-NWOSU JR 11 6 596 0 755 1357 123.4
                    5. Ontario Douglas-ECU FR 11 1097 157 0 0 1254 114.0
                    6. Isaiah Mallory-OKB JR 9 723 203 0 21 947 105.2
                    7. Jalen Tolliver-UAM SR 11 1 1109 0 0 1110 100.9
                    8. Michael Nunnery-SAU SR 11 937 124 0 0 1061 96.5
                    9. Jared Rayburn-SWOSU JR 10 10 327 0 572 909 90.9
                    10. Bryan Allen-ATU JR 11 814 118 0 0 932 84.7

Congrats to Jalen Toliver but not even close to being OFFENSIVE POY. You can make a case for Stringer and Freeman but Harris by far was the most impressive when adding in his almost 30 TD'S. Plus Toliver was on a sub .500 team, his impact wasn't that great!!! Drew Harris got robbed, plain and simple!!!
                    Last edited by Finishempty Fred; 11-15-2017, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
                      ALL PURPOSE Cl G Rush Rcv PR KR Yards Yards/G
                      1. Braden Stringer-ATU SR 11 755 39 248 490 1532 139.3
                      2. Allie Freeman-OUA SO 11 45 900 84 429 1458 132.5
                      3. Drew Harris-OUA JR 11 489 723 6 173 1391 126.5
                      4. Horatio Smith-NWOSU JR 11 6 596 0 755 1357 123.4
                      5. Ontario Douglas-ECU FR 11 1097 157 0 0 1254 114.0
                      6. Isaiah Mallory-OKB JR 9 723 203 0 21 947 105.2
                      7. Jalen Tolliver-UAM SR 11 1 1109 0 0 1110 100.9
                      8. Michael Nunnery-SAU SR 11 937 124 0 0 1061 96.5
                      9. Jared Rayburn-SWOSU JR 10 10 327 0 572 909 90.9
                      10. Bryan Allen-ATU JR 11 814 118 0 0 932 84.7

Congrats to Jalen Toliver but not even close to being OFFENSIVE POY. You can make a case for Stringer and Freeman but Harris by far was the most impressive when adding in his almost 30 TD'S. Plus Toliver was on a sub .500 team, his impact wasn't that great!!! Drew Harris got robbed, plain and simple!!!
                      Return yards are not offensive yards. Tolliver was more difficult to handle, imo, than Harris was. But, that was a one game sample.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
                        Return yards are not offensive yards. Tolliver was more difficult to handle, imo, than Harris was. But, that was a one game sample.
                        Really D2? You take away Harris's return yards and he still has more total yards than Toliver and don't forget about those 26 or so TD'S.

Comment

Originally posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
                          Really D2? You take away Harris's return yards and he still has more total yards than Toliver and don't forget about those 26 or so TD'S.
                          I don't necessarily agree with the selection, but I think Tolliver was the best player in the league overall. That shouldn't be the basis of selection, though. I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
                            I don't necessarily agree with the selection, but I think Tolliver was the best player in the league overall. That shouldn't be the basis of selection, though. I agree
                            He didn't look that special to me in person. But hey, maybe I'm just a little bias.

Comment

I have to agree with you here Armo about Cole Sears. On merit alone he deserves recognition. Probably THE biggest snub. Where would Monticello have been without him? Why is it that every other position other than QB (arguably the most important position on a team) and TE were awarded far more All-Conference selections than you need to field 3 teams? 13 Linebackers for a 3 team selection is ridiculous. I have to admit that I was totally surprised to see Ranger LB Devin Peyton selected for the 2nd team while playing in only 6 of 12 games. While I pull for my team I tell it like it is and cannot understand his choice. How many times have we heard how Football teaches life lessons? This is not the case here. Life isn't always fair and his injury sure wasn't but I can tell you this for sure, if anybody shows up to work only half the time they aren't going to be recognized, in "real life" you see it all over, no excuse absentee policies meaning there is no excuse including injury or illness for not showing up. You won't have a job no matter how productive you have been half the time. All-Conference awards have gotten out of hand as far as the numbers selected. Having close to 40% (95) of starters make All-Conference is approaching handing out Participation Trophies. Some Conferences award even more. The more players you select to these teams the more it becomes questionable as to why some others don't make the grade. I'm a firm believer that each team (1st and 2nd) should select only 1 player for each position. Honorable mention could go to a slightly wider group but not necessarily. Think about it, if you score a 70/100 or top 30% on a test in class ( a C grade) you are considered average. This does not depict true life experience, it's appeasing the masses.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X