Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 POY

Barrett Renner and Drew (Superman) Harris were nominated for the Harlon Hill Trophy. Guess who's missing from that list? Like I said previously, Drew should have been the GAC POY. Glad the sport info directors got it right. Great to see him get the recognition he has earned and deserves.

https://amp.ncaa.com/amp/news/footba...on-hill-trophy
    Last edited by Finishempty Fred; 11-20-2017, 03:24 PM.

Re: D2 POY

Ferris HC Annese had good praise for Harris and team.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v12X_sQQ58s

Comment

Originally posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
      Barrett Renner and Drew (Superman) Harris were nominated for the Harlon Hill Trophy. Guess who's missing from that list? Like I said previously, Drew should have been the GAC POY. Glad the sport info directors got it right. Great to see him get the recognition he has earned and deserves.

https://amp.ncaa.com/amp/news/footba...on-hill-trophy
      It's unlikely either will be a national finalist, but I am surprised to see Renner on there ahead of Tolliver.

Comment

Originally posted by Redready View Post
        Ferris HC Annese had good praise for Harris and team.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v12X_sQQ58s
        Yep I saw that. Finnally got a chance to watch game and presser. I had to drive to Arizona Saturday, so I could only listen while I was driving.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post
          It's unlikely either will be a national finalist, but I am surprised to see Renner on there ahead of Tolliver.
          Yeah you might be right, but a 9-2 Harris against a 5-6 Toliver should have been a no brainier for the GAC.

Comment

Yeah you might be right, but a 9-2 Harris against a 5-6 Toliver should have been a no brainier for the GAC.
            Why do records matter? The award is not the best player from the conference champion.

Comment

Records do matter, but shouldn't be the prime reason. However, if you take the stats for the top ten WRs and RBs and QBs in the conference you will find that Tolliver is 7th on the list. Harris, was third but is second in the nation in scoring. 26 tds and 156 points. 20 tds were rushing and 6 receiving. The 26 tds is a record for GAC. So, all considered, the POY could have been one of several besides Tolliver. Granted, he is good, but not POY.

Comment

ALL PURPOSE Cl G Rush Rcv PR KR Yards Yards/G
                1. Braden Stringer-ATU SR 11 755 39 248 490 1532 139.3
                2. Allie Freeman-OUA SO 11 45 900 84 429 1458 132.5
                3. Drew Harris-OUA JR 11 489 723 6 173 1391 126.5
                4. Horatio Smith-NWOSU JR 11 6 596 0 755 1357 123.4
                5. Ontario Douglas-ECU FR 11 1097 157 0 0 1254 114.0
                6. Isaiah Mallory-OKB JR 9 723 203 0 21 947 105.2
                7. Jalen Tolliver-UAM SR 11 1 1109 0 0 1110 100.9
                8. Michael Nunnery-SAU SR 11 937 124 0 0 1061 96.5
                9. Jared Rayburn-SWOSU JR 10 10 327 0 572 909 90.9
                10. Bryan Allen-ATU JR 11 814 118 0 0 932 84.7

Copied this from Finishempty Fred on another string. This is an example of what I was saying. It's all done and over, but it just makes one wonder what the coaches used as a basis for their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger02 View Post
                  Records do matter, but shouldn't be the prime reason. However, if you take the stats for the top ten WRs and RBs and QBs in the conference you will find that Tolliver is 7th on the list. Harris, was third but is second in the nation in scoring. 26 tds and 156 points. 20 tds were rushing and 6 receiving. The 26 tds is a record for GAC. So, all considered, the POY could have been one of several besides Tolliver. Granted, he is good, but not POY.
                  Why do the records matter? You didn't answer that. You just asserted that they did matter.

Those numbers quoted above are all purpose. Not receiving. Jalen lead the league in receiving yards. I'm not advocating that Jalen was the right choice, but to scoff at is ridiculous and shows some bias. If you take return yards out, Drew and Jalen are 1 and 2 in yards in the major offensive categories. Jalen didn't get the ability to tally up rushing yards, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
                    Why do the records matter? You didn't answer that. You just asserted that they did matter.

Those numbers quoted above are all purpose. Not receiving. Jalen lead the league in receiving yards. I'm not advocating that Jalen was the right choice, but to scoff at is ridiculous and shows some bias. If you take return yards out, Drew and Jalen are 1 and 2 in yards in the major offensive categories. Jalen didn't get the ability to tally up rushing yards, though.
                    Like I said above. If Tolliver was so great, why didn't he make the national list. The GAC needs to overhaul their end of the year awards. Their honorable mention left some great players off And it was just a 3rd team in all actuality. Honorable mention should take the best regardless of position. Not being bias because my Tigers had guys on that honorable list that didn't belong. No way Sears UAM and Allen ATU should have been left off when you look at the names that were on there.

Comment

Records matter in the sense that Harris, on three occassion, was the difference between victory or defeat. He scored the last td against Tech to put OBU ahead to win, the last td against SNaz to put OBU ahead to win, and we all know about HSU. OBU could have easily been 6-5 unless someone else stepped up. Look,no doubt Tollivar is a great athlete, but, when choosing POY, the impact a player has on his team, which includes individual stats and team records, should be considered more heavily than other facts.

Comment

Like I said above. If Tolliver was so great, why didn't he make the national list. The GAC needs to overhaul their end of the year awards. Their honorable mention left some great players off And it was just a 3rd team in all actuality. Honorable mention should take the best regardless of position. Not being bias because my Tigers had guys on that honorable list that didn't belong. No way Sears UAM and Allen ATU should have been left off when you look at the names that were on there.
                        But, yes they do. The coach of the year Should've been Paul Simmons from HU after the turnaround HU had. It doesn't really matter though. We keep on winning and it'll sort itself out. Just giving the coach of the year to coach of conference champ is extremely lazy way to do it. Why even announce it? Just ship the award to the field house and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
                          But, yes they do. The coach of the year Should've been Paul Simmons from HU after the turnaround HU had. It doesn't really matter though. We keep on winning and it'll sort itself out. Just giving the coach of the year to coach of conference champ is extremely lazy way to do it. Why even announce it? Just ship the award to the field house and move on.
                          That one is also up to debate but we could have lost focused and gave up on a championship also after losing our 2nd game to you guys, instead the coaches kept them focused and didn't lose another conference game. That 3 game stretch with UAM, SAU, and Henderson was no easy task with alot of pressure knowing we pretty much controlled our destiny with at least a share of championship. With that being said, I would not have had a problem with it if they had name Coach Simmons COY.

Comment

That one is also up to debate but we could have lost focused and gave up on a championship also after losing our 2nd game to you guys, instead the coaches kept them focused and didn't lose another conference game. That 3 game stretch with UAM, SAU, and Henderson was no easy task with alot of pressure knowing we pretty much controlled our destiny with at least a share of championship. With that being said, I would not have had a problem with it if they had name Coach Simmons COY.
                            That's a fair point.

Comment

If Harris was so great, why wasn't he named an all American? Tolliver was today. And that's not meant to be a slight on Harris, I just still think it's crazy how much you OBU guys downplayed Tolliver. He was fantastic.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X