Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Conference Expansion or Reduction

Any teams you guys could see either leave or join the GAC? I know UA Fort Smith was going to join, but the GAC didn't want them because they didn't have Football. I think there are some East Texas schools that would be fun to have, but not sure if they would ever leave the Lone Star. Thoughts? Also, could you see the GAC getting into any sports? I think you will see soccer expand as time goes on.

The GAC is now the only D2 football-sponsoring conference with zero non-football members. I am fine with having non-fb members but I would limit it to 2, making the GAC a primarily football conference like the MIAA and NSIC. Fourteen is a good number for the conference and there are benefits with non-fb members. They help keep a tight footprint and they usually have sports that football schools don't have.

I'd like to get UA-Fort Smith and Rogers State; keeping with the AR-OK balance. However, I would require UAFS to add softball and M-W soccer and require RSU to add W volleyball and M-W tennis. The GAC does not get an AQ in M soccer and M tennis but it would with the addition of these schools plus the required sport additions.

Since we already have OBU with M wrestling and OKBU with W lacrosse, it would be nice to see the conference work to get at least five more schools to add those sports. Same for M-W indoor track and M-W swim & dive where we have three schools sponsoring each sport. Put a focus at the conference level to add sports that individual schools already sponsor.

Comment

Uafs would be a serious threat in men's basketball and have no women's softball a required sport in gac. Heard it from some high up GAC people years ago. Not happening . Now the miaa is a much more likely home if the miaa wants the extra basketball schools.

Comment

Last time all of this was discussed the word I received was these schools were happy with being in the NAIA.

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
          Last time all of this was discussed the word I received was these schools were happy with being in the NAIA.
          They are D2?

Comment

My bad

Comment

I was thinking of Lyon College ( Arkansas - NAIA) and Hendrix (Arkansas - D3). When we were having this discussion back in the fall these were the schools mentioned regarding possible expansion of GAC.

Comment

Breakdown of OK non GAC programs
                MIAA: UCO, NSU (Seem to be joined at the hip and neither seem to be coming.)

MIAA non football: RSU

LSC: Cameron, Oklahoma Christian (could make since if conference goes to 16 with 4 non fb)

NAIA
                SAC: Langston- is certainly within the footprint. (SILO would be a problem. Get rid of the Silo schedule and they would be a great choice.)
                OPSU-is very small, and it is in the middle of nowhere.

SAC non-football:
                Mid America Christian- up and coming basketball power, lots of radio advertising in OKC.
                Oklahoma City- used to be DI until the mid 80s [oh the days of Switzer and Linda Soundtrak] and has been rumored to want to move up,
                USAO- a small school in Chickasha good at softball. Not likely to want to move up.
                Southwestern Christian-in Bethany, cannot hold a candle to SNU and only claim to fame is hiring Dave Bliss, yes that Dave Bliss a few years back

KCAC non football: OK Wesleyan-I didn't think they had sports until I looked it up.

INDY: Bacone- Sad.

PS:
                ORU seems to be wanting to demolish their athletic program after letting Scott Sutton go, and forbidding their coaching staff from recruiting players with tattoos. But somehow has been somewhat competitive last year.
                Last edited by UCObluejay; 06-27-2020, 10:41 AM.
                Go Bronchos!

Comment

OPSU just left Division II three years ago. They're definitely not coming back.

Comment

Like I said last fall, Langston is the mostly likely addition. With them the GAC could go to two divisions in football and open up the opportunity for OOC scheduling

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
                      Like I said last fall, Langston is the mostly likely addition. With them the GAC could go to two divisions in football and open up the opportunity for OOC scheduling
                      The GAC needs OOC badly. Why not host a GAC championship for Football as well? I would go every year no matter what the teams are!

Comment

Comment

Who makes the final decisions for OOC games/additional conference schools? do the individual schools vote on it, or is it up to the GAC commish?

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
                            Breakdown of OK non GAC programs
                            MIAA: UCO, NSU (Seem to be joined at the hip and neither seem to be coming.)

MIAA non football: RSU

LSC: Cameron, Oklahoma Christian (could make since if conference goes to 16 with 4 non fb)

NAIA
                            SAC: Langston- is certainly within the footprint. (SILO would be a problem. Get rid of the Silo schedule and they would be a great choice.)
                            OPSU-is very small, and it is in the middle of nowhere.

SAC non-football:
                            Mid America Christian- up and coming basketball power, lots of radio advertising in OKC.
                            Oklahoma City- used to be DI until the mid 80s [oh the days of Switzer and Linda Soundtrak] and has been rumored to want to move up,
                            USAO- a small school in Chickasha good at softball. Not likely to want to move up.
                            Southwestern Christian-in Bethany, cannot hold a candle to SNU and only claim to fame is hiring Dave Bliss, yes that Dave Bliss a few years back

KCAC non football: OK Wesleyan-I didn't think they had sports until I looked it up.

INDY: Bacone- Sad.

PS:
                            ORU seems to be wanting to demolish their athletic program after letting Scott Sutton go, and forbidding their coaching staff from recruiting players with tattoos. But somehow has been somewhat competitive last year.

Comment

I know Langston aborted a move to D2 about 15 years ago. I've never been able to find any source that discusses that decision. They were going to be in the SIAC, in which they'd of course have been quite the geographical outlier.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X