Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OKBU cuts 7 sports

OKBU is cutting seven sports effective the end of this school year: men's golf, men's soccer, men's & women's swimming, men's & women's tennis, and women's lacrosse.

https://obubison.com/news/2020/11/9/...en-letter.aspx

Terrible news. Although they say fundraising can't save them, I hope these teams can be brought back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
      Terrible news. Although they say fundraising can't save them, I hope these teams can be brought back soon.
      We have a new administration and have been tightening belts even before Covid hit. Covid simply added to the challenges.

We've had swimming maybe 10 years. The swim programs did very well at the NAIA level, winning national championships on both the men's and women's sides and helping us win three Learfield Directors Cups on the way out. We had a Hall of Fame swim coach that sadly passed away after we made the move to D-II. The GAC does not sponsor swimming or lacrosse, so those programs competed in the RMAC.

We were sponsoring 20 varsity sports before these cuts, the most in the GAC.

Comment

I really liked OKBU having lacrosse. It felt like they were opening the door for other GAC members to add the sport, men and women.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
          I really liked OKBU having lacrosse. It felt like they were opening the door for other GAC members to add the sport, men and women.
          Lacrosse and swimming are niche sports in our part of the country. The travel has to be expensive for both of them, as they're competing in the RMAC in both sports, and have to travel farther for non-conference competition, as well. They're also having to recruit a lot out of the region. It was good to have sports that others didn't have, but it turned out to be a luxury for us.

These are challenging days for all schools, but especially small private schools.
          Last edited by johnintx; 11-13-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X