Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does the GAC rank among other Football Conferences in Division 2?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does the GAC rank among other Football Conferences in Division 2?

Title says it all. Something tells me we would probably be somewhere lower on down due to no or very little out of conference action. ECU winning helped for sure though. SAU has to win some bowl games!

I would put the conference near the the bottom of the second third or top of the lower third of Division II. We need a better showing on the national stage before we can lay claim to any real prestige.

Comment

I didn't get to see how my Bulldogs did in their scrimmage against Fort Hays, but I know SNU played a couple games against MIAA competition this spring, losing very tight contests to Missouri Southern and Central Oklahoma. From what I've seen from the MIAA, I think its pretty even. I think the top schools in the MIAA are better than the top schools in the GAC though. I haven't seen enough of other conferences to say much more, but I think the LSC is probably better overall than the MIAA at this point. With that being said, the GAC really does need to be more consistent. We are probably at the bottom in our immediate area, with the MIAA, LSC, and even the RMAC being more consistent in the playoffs. Our conference is getting better though!

Comment

Originally posted by LeeroyJenkins View Post
        I would put the conference near the the bottom of the second third or top of the lower third of Division II. We need a better showing on the national stage before we can lay claim to any real prestige.
        I think this is accurate.

Comment

I rank conf in four tiers
          one -GLIAC, NSIC,MIAA, GSC

Two- psac rmac, lsc, sac/GAC

Three-glvc,mec, gmac gac/sac

Four-the rest

My way of looking at aconf is to take the middle four schools the one that gave winning records but miss playoffs and weigh them against each other.

The biggest factor holding back gsc is that the top four are so dominating that there is often no middle four the nsic and psac are similar but have such huge memberships they have a false middle because you are only garunteed games against divisional opponents.

But the top four are quality and successful programs and it would show more if they were not in a region with two of top two conferences

Comment

The MIAA has been the best league in D2 for a few years now. imho NWMSU, Pitt St and now Ft Hays along with CMS , Emporia , UCO makes that a very tough league . Take away Harding and Henderson Ouachita there is not much left. again imho

Comment

These assessments seem fair to me. Harding has been improving in its ability to make the playoffs and made a good run in winning Region 2 in 2017 but nothing as consistent as what teams out of the GSC, MIAA and GLIAC have done over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
                These assessments seem fair to me. Harding has been improving in its ability to make the playoffs and made a good run in winning Region 2 in 2017 but nothing as consistent as what teams out of the GSC, MIAA and GLIAC have done over the years.
                Right. Harding and OBU are much further ahead currently in their football programs than anyone else in the GAC. SAU, Henderson State, and SE OK are knocking on the door. I feel Arkansas Tech is currently assembling a program though that will compete in future years. Especially looking at the budget and facilities they are working with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post

Right. Harding and OBU are much further ahead currently in their football programs than anyone else in the GAC. SAU, Henderson State, and SE OK are knocking on the door. I feel Arkansas Tech is currently assembling a program though that will compete in future years. Especially looking at the budget and facilities they are working with.
                  Southeasy won 1 game last year? How are they "knocking on the door"? It's Harding, OBU. Then Henderson. Then everyone else. OBU and ECU are close in OK to catching up to the Arkansas schools. ECU beat a top 25 FCS team this spring. Also, scrimmaged Harding and scored more than them. Look for them to be a dark horse in 2021.

Comment

Easy there tiger. Just my opinion. I would still put SAU above ECU and OKBU. They haven't really had a spectacular season besides the 2011 one. Are they the Darkhorse this year? Obsoletely, everyone saw that score and was blown away. Great on ECU! Will they probably even beat SAU this year? It's sure a strong possibility. We are talking about success as a whole in the GAC so far though. Not just this coming year or even last year.

Comment

I would still have SAU above ECU and OKBU as well. I have all of the Arkansas schools besides Tech above ECU and OKBU. Just reality. But ECU has not lost to Ark Tech in the last two meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by ONCEATIGER25 View Post

Southeasy won 1 game last year? How are they "knocking on the door"? It's Harding, OBU. Then Henderson. Then everyone else. OBU and ECU are close in OK to catching up to the Arkansas schools. ECU beat a top 25 FCS team this spring. Also, scrimmaged Harding and scored more than them. Look for them to be a dark horse in 2021.
                        I'd bet ECU doesn't score more than Harding when it counts this fall... Especially with the all american in the backfield. Which he was not against ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post

I'd bet ECU doesn't score more than Harding when it counts this fall... Especially with the all american in the backfield. Which he was not against ECU.
                          D2 you a Harding alumn? Just curious. Couldn't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post

D2 you a Harding alumn? Just curious. Couldn't remember.
                            I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post

I was there, Harding couldn't get anything going at all. And ECU couldn't be stopped all day. Didn't say anything about missing defensive guys so I assume ECU will do the same in the Fall.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X