Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma schools improving

I can't speak for any other school than SEOSU. But I have really noticed a massive difference in recruiting since 2016 when my son got there. Not necessarily high school kids but it seems like we get a lot more JUCO kids that are a little older and have some experience. I think it must just be a little different approach going after guys with only 2 years eligibility but who are ready to play right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldsexy View Post
      I can't speak for any other school than SEOSU. But I have really noticed a massive difference in recruiting since 2016 when my son got there. Not necessarily high school kids but it seems like we get a lot more JUCO kids that are a little older and have some experience. I think it must just be a little different approach going after guys with only 2 years eligibility but who are ready to play right away.
      The JUCO route is a fine line. That opinion is anecdotal based on the Willie Fritz regime at UCM. His teams were good but really never got over the hump in the MIAA with a JUCO heavy team. Players didn't have enough time in the system, too much turnover year to year, etc. I think JUCO players can be used to fill big gaps but I think a successful football program starts with most of the players developed in the system. That is anecdotal based on the Mel Tjeerdsma, et al model used at Northwest Missouri State.
      Last edited by CatFan88; 11-07-2021, 03:10 PM.
      Go Hounds!
      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
      Cyclone Power
      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

The JUCO route is a fine line. That opinion is anecdotal based on the Willie Fritz regime at UCM. His teams were good but really never got over the hump in the MIAA with a JUCO heavy team. Players didn't have enough time in the system, too much turnover year to year, etc. I think JUCO players can be used to fill big gaps but I think a successful football program starts with most of the players developed in the system. That is anecdotal based on the Mel Tjeerdsma, et al model used at Northwest Missouri State.

Comment

I won't argue that the 4 year guys are better. I'm just saying that we have a pretty good amount of juco players on the team and without them we wouldn't be where we are. When Atterbury left suddenly and SE went without a coach for a couple of months we didn't get too many recruits because they didn't know who the coach was gonna be. Then you throw in graduating seniors and you end up with a 1-10 season. So smartly coach Fenwick needed to get game ready players while the young guys were developing. The point I was trying to make is that I think that is a good philosphy. Obviously go out and hammer on the high school kids but also take an honest look at your roster for holes that need to be filled immediately and go bring in those juco players rather than playing a kid too early that's not ready yet. I think there is something to be said for on the job training but some 19 year old offensive lineman may not be prepared to face some senior DT or DE and it can hurt his team, his QB, and his own self confidence. Just my opinion. But, I think a good chunk of our O line were transfers and it went from being a liability to being a strength in one offseason. Again I absolutely believe in going with the 4 year kids when you can but also to be realistic with what you have and whether they are ready yet or if you would be better bringing in an older guy to fill in the gap till your 4 year kids are truly ready.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Heck I thought SE played pretty good defense against them and they still scored 31 pts. Good defense, keep the ball away from them, and score every possesion if you wanna beat that team.

Comment

NWOSU gave up after the first drive. It seems a bit disrespectful to throw the ball when your up by 40 in the first half. And to scoring a lot of points, what really helps is when a RB corks off 30+ Yard runs on half the plays.

Comment

Baldsexy, three of the five o-line starters are transfers. In 2019, we were very young and inexperienced there. I think the 4-year route is the model for our team, but bringing in some juco o-linemen for this season was a necessary move...and it has paid off nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by savagestormvoice View Post
                        Baldsexy, three of the five o-line starters are transfers. In 2019, we were very young and inexperienced there. I think the 4-year route is the model for our team, but bringing in some juco o-linemen for this season was a necessary move...and it has paid off nicely.
                        Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by Baldsexy View Post

Heck I thought SE played pretty good defense against them and they still scored 31 pts. Good defense, keep the ball away from them, and score every possesion if you wanna beat that team.

Comment

Yeah that definately helped us out. I do think also that our group of wr's is really good. They don't get a ton of mention throughout the conference but we have 5 starting caliber guys. Pretty hard to stop a 5 wide formation when all 5 are above average. Heck look at Henderson it's hard for most to stop 1 alpha. I'm not making any claims or comparisions to any other wr's in the conference. But I think all 5 of ours could at worst be the #3 for most of our opponents.
                            Last edited by Baldsexy; 11-08-2021, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Not true. If you go off of stats, UAM and ECU defended it better. And ECU only allowed 28 points.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X