Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where does the GAC compare to other D2 conferences

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    Interesting take on HU vs Commerce. Commerce had 23 First downs, HU had 19 first downs. 6 of those for commerce were from penalty. 1 was from a fake punt. HU was playing back up qb after starter got suspended.

I'm not saying HU was the better team. But you acting as though the game is out of hand or never in question is, like you say, factually incorrect. Citing TOP advantage for HU as negative is odd. That's the point. Just think you're off base. The game was closer overall than the game was vs West Florida. But I guess that's only true because commerce had the ball longer than west florida. Is that how it works?
    I'm not saying your perspective on the game is or was wrong, but I don't feel like first downs are a great stat.

A team can throw a 99-yard touchdown pass and get one first down in the stat sheet (every touchdown is scored as a first down as well). A team could recover a fumble at the opponent 12-yard line, take four plays to get a first down, and then four plays to score a touchdown. The had a 2-to-1 ratio on first downs and led in time of possession, but still scored the same amount. To gain 99 yards on one play is obviously more difficult than gaining 12 yards on eight plays.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post
      That Harding/Commerce semifinal was a good game. I'm not sure what you watched, but Harding had a chance with minutes left and needed a stop, but TAMUCC got a 90-yard TD (which should have been called back for a block in the back that wasn't called) which iced the game. And that was Harding playing their backup QB who had basically never seen the field.

Block in the back at 4:34. Play starts at 4:30, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzaagg4MfRk
      Contact started on the side...good non-call :)

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
        Good luck to your son at Tech. I bet when he gets on the field against HU, he'll let you know they have some "horses."
        C'mon now...my first post in this thread I said it was my opinion...let's not get personal here...how did my son get brought into this? As an aside...he does love playing against Veer type offenses, so hopefully he has some fun and is able to compete :)

Comment

Originally posted by spidermac View Post
          C'mon now...my first post in this thread I said it was my opinion...let's not get personal here...how did my son get brought into this? As an aside...he does love playing against Veer type offenses, so hopefully he has some fun and is able to compete :)

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
            I'm not saying your perspective on the game is or was wrong, but I don't feel like first downs are a great stat.

A team can throw a 99-yard touchdown pass and get one first down in the stat sheet (every touchdown is scored as a first down as well). A team could recover a fumble at the opponent 12-yard line, take four plays to get a first down, and then four plays to score a touchdown. The had a 2-to-1 ratio on first downs and led in time of possession, but still scored the same amount. To gain 99 yards on one play is obviously more difficult than gaining 12 yards on eight plays.

Comment

Originally posted by spidermac View Post
              Contact started on the side...good non-call :)

Comment

Right.

I also didn't really agree with the other analysis either. Harding slowed it down because it made sense to slow it down. It doesn't necessarily mean they're not as good, it could just be this particular game called for that style.

The only thing that matters is the scoreboard. ;)

Comment

Last edited by spidermac; 08-20-2019, 01:15 PM. Reason: Post didn't post...

Comment

The GAC is not up to the level of some conferences and are better than others. It's just an opinion.

I also went to the Semi Final game and found it to be a competitive game.. I'll bet that if Commerce had to change QB's a couple days before the game, it would have slowed them down too. One game does not give us any idea on one conference being better than another. OOC games would help.

I liked Commerce facilities. Good folks there too.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post

It was also a monsoon that day for the 29-3 HSU/ESU game. Obviously both schools deal with the elements and HSU got beat, but that game was overshadowed by that storm. Worst downpour I've ever seen for a football game.
                      The amazing thing about that day was all the pregame talk about how the weather was going to doom Emporia State because they wouldn't be able to pass the ball. And they were right, Brent Wilson probably had his worst passing day as a Hornet. But the rushing attack, which hadn't gone over 250 yards all season and was held to just 37 yards in the first round win at Minnesota State, had a season high 268 yards. ESU outgained HSU 331-137 on the day.
                      And it was 29-3 partly because ESU settled for an NCAA playoff record five field goals. Say two of those go for TDs instead and it's 37-3. Granted if two of them are missed it's still 23-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post

The amazing thing about that day was all the pregame talk about how the weather was going to doom Emporia State because they wouldn't be able to pass the ball. And they were right, Brent Wilson probably had his worst passing day as a Hornet. But the rushing attack, which hadn't gone over 250 yards all season and was held to just 37 yards in the first round win at Minnesota State, had a season high 268 yards. ESU outgained HSU 331-137 on the day.
                        And it was 29-3 partly because ESU settled for an NCAA playoff record five field goals. Say two of those go for TDs instead and it's 37-3. Granted if two of them are missed it's still 23-3.
                        I was there and it was wet and cold. No matter how we covered with coats and raincoats and sat on plastic, we were soaked. Felt sorry for the players that day. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Redready View Post

I was there and it was wet and cold. No matter how we covered with coats and raincoats and sat on plastic, we were soaked. Felt sorry for the players that day. :)
                          I was there to. I had layers of clothes - rain pants and rain jackets - an umbrella, two layers of socks, water proof boots and still got soaked. I'm assuming you didn't have quite as far a drive home as we did that day. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post

I was there to. I had layers of clothes - rain pants and rain jackets - an umbrella, two layers of socks, water proof boots and still got soaked. I'm assuming you didn't have quite as far a drive home as we did that day. :laugh:
                            No. It was a 3.5 hr trip home. That day and the 2016 NC game was 2 of the coldest days for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Redready View Post
                              The GAC is not up to the level of some conferences and are better than others. It's just an opinion... One game does not give us any idea on one conference being better than another. OOC games would help.
                              This.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X