Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OPSUALUM77&81 View Post
    Jimbo, you've talked a lot about the Oklahoma schools needing to put more emphasis on recruiting Oklahoma kids. Sir, I agree with you. However, how big of a pool of football talent do the Oklahoma schools have to choose from? Now, I am out in the Oklahoma Panhandle. When I travel it is usually across western Oklahoma on the way to my destination. What I see are small schools with small programs. These small towns are mostly dying. How many of these kids are talented enough to play college football? Coming from small town football, i.e, 8-man Class A and Class 2A, how many of these kids have the talent and/or self-confidence to make the jump up? I see some of these kids playing college ball but not many make a big impact. The rest of Oklahoma is just like it is in western Oklahoma, except for the cities. I hope this makes sense.
    there isnt a huge talent pool but the ones that are capable of playing D2 football should be staying in state unless they just have to leave.
    how many? i dont know. i know both emporia state and pitt state have 12 or more kids on thier rosters from oklahoma.
    my oldest kids class had 13 players on his all state team that ended up being starters in 2 years on their college teams. 6 of those 13 ended up playing at colleges that competed against the oklahoma D2 teams both MIAA and GAC. we have met at least 6 starters this year on recruiting visits that are starters on their team from oklahoma.

noone can survive on just local talent. i get that. but, if the kid is an athlete and a football player, its up to the coach to develop that player for his program. if the coach cant do that, he's in the wrong job. there are a bunch of kids in oklahoma that want to play college football but noone has enough time to go look.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

there isnt a huge talent pool but the ones that are capable of playing D2 football should be staying in state unless they just have to leave.
      how many? i dont know. i know both emporia state and pitt state have 12 or more kids on thier rosters from oklahoma.
      my oldest kids class had 13 players on his all state team that ended up being starters in 2 years on their college teams. 6 of those 13 ended up playing at colleges that competed against the oklahoma D2 teams both MIAA and GAC. we have met at least 6 starters this year on recruiting visits that are starters on their team from oklahoma.

noone can survive on just local talent. i get that. but, if the kid is an athlete and a football player, its up to the coach to develop that player for his program. if the coach cant do that, he's in the wrong job. there are a bunch of kids in oklahoma that want to play college football but noone has enough time to go look.
      The question then becomes, why do the kids leave?
      Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

Most if not all of my kids had less than 13 in their entire graduating class. Rural schools are either closing, ending their football programs or are co-oping with another school in order to have enough to field a football team. It is difficult for a kid from an 8-man program to move up to the college game. Not impossible, but more difficult. But, let's keep our kids at home!

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post

The question then becomes, why do the kids leave?
          either lack of effort or lack of foresight? roster spots? i dont know. but, notice the coach with the longest tenure right now in oklahoma is FULL to the brim with oklahoma kids.

the oldest received preferred walk on offers from KSU, KU, MIZZOU and OU. he told those coaches thank you but, he'd rather play than stand on the sidelines.
          truth be told, my father-in-law lives in Weatherford oklahoma. we live in the metro. what is that an hour away? seriously, about 4 miles from southern nazarene (not so much as a visit to a practice with those clowns. hell they could hitch hike to the high school lol) The oldest one thought he wanted to go to SWOSU.... not ONE phone call, text, nothing.

for that matter, UCO and NSU are the only ones in state that contacted him until SEOSU called him about a week before signing day. 4 year player, 3 year starter 2 year all-conference for UCO and he had as many Kansas and Arkansas D2 offers than the Oklahoma D2 schools.

that's just one example i know. Im sure that's not the only example out there. i know 3 other Oklahoma kids on the emporia state roster a few years back that had similar stories. i wont speak on them but ive known a couple of them since they were real young and i know they just were overlooked. all three of them were starters and heavily used.

Comment

Most if not all of my kids had less than 13 in their entire graduating class. Rural schools are either closing, ending their football programs or are co-oping with another school in order to have enough to field a football team. It is difficult for a kid from an 8-man program to move up to the college game. Not impossible, but more difficult. But, let's keep our kids at home!
            the college recruiting game isnt like it was back when I was in high school back in the 80s. back then, if your coach liked you and thought you could do something, he made phone calls or the more well known high school coaches were visited by colleges that knew he the coach had someone on the roster.

there was no twitter, facebook, hudl none of that stuff was available. now if you want to play college football, you need to go to all the camps you can. put your name out there. make video highlights etc. make sure your video is available.
            i can go on max preps right now, look up any team in oklahoma and watch any kid on that schools roster IF he has a video posted. example, i just looked at a football/basketball players video from alex oklahoma at the max preps website. its really that simple these days.

if the kid wants it and he has a parent that will help him do it, start younger (sophomore year or so) go to every college football camp and exposure camp he can get in and make film of his games...make the highlights and get them out to coaches.

my mistake with the older kid was waiting on his high school coaches to go out and get it done. i mean, after all, we had a "recruiting coordinator" surely he would make sure my kids films were being moved around right? lol

after our high school getting its third head coach in 4 years, it was pretty obvious the recruiting was going to be up to the parents to make this happen. we share contacts, info tips etc and got all the film made and sent. it just simply has to happen these days. sucks but you have to look out for your own.

Comment

A lot of parents don't know how to do this. I think the more rural you are, the less you know. The small schools can sometimes have a revolving door of coaches. I have seen coaches quit in August and then the school has to hire whatever warm body they can get. These coaches don't know how to get it done. I suspect this is because many times they are fresh out of school and don't have the experience necessary to elevate these kids to the next level. They often don't have the contacts. Those young ones that do many times have a big ego that gets in the way. I can tell you some horror stories of what I have seen in coaching hires.

Comment

A lot of parents don't know how to do this. I think the more rural you are, the less you know. The small schools can sometimes have a revolving door of coaches. I have seen coaches quit in August and then the school has to hire whatever warm body they can get. These coaches don't know how to get it done. I suspect this is because many times they are fresh out of school and don't have the experience necessary to elevate these kids to the next level. They often don't have the contacts. Those young ones that do many times have a big ego that gets in the way. I can tell you some horror stories of what I have seen in coaching hires.
                i bet you can. i can only imagine. as far as the parents knowing how to do it, it will take a concerted effort between the player coach and parent to get the recruiting done if both the kids and parents want to be recruited.
                there is a company out there that makes an absolute killing on just selling info about colleges to desperate or ignorant parents.

Comment

It's Josh Kirkland from NMHU. https://twitter.com/SWOSUAthletics/s...95971417559042

Comment

Man... I really hope he does well, because that's an underwhelming hire. He did put together a good year for Highlands standards this year, but still. I had higher hopes with everything I had heard that was going on. I will be a big fan until proven otherwise, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't super disappointed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X