Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Year Awards

Curious on everyone's predictions for conference end of year awards. Reminder, the GAC does Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year and Coach of the Year. I'll be doing a wrap up column that will predict these and other unofficial titles next week, but would love your thoughts as well. Was talking with GAC staff at men's soccer championship yesterday and we all agreed it's as tough a call at OPOY as any year in the league.

I'll guess the following. Offensive player of the year T.J. Cole Ouchita. Defensive player of the year Malik Hall Southeastern. Coach of the year Kris McCullough ECU. Don't have a clue on freshman of the year.

Comment

TJ Cole will win OPOY

DPOY may be more wide open. Agree Hall could, maybe Freeman cause he leads conf in sacks. Also wouldn’t be shocked to see Kaytron Allen from UAM. Leads in INT and #8 in tackles.

COY traditionally has gone to winner of conf, but hard to overlook what McCollough did at ECU. Could also make a case for Hada at SNU (won’t be him). They shocked me down the stretch.

FOY I would expect to be Cole Keylon. QB at Harding.

Comment

The thing i wonder about is a bias towards a teams record. Is the award based soley on a playerd numbers or do they also have to be on a great team? Let's say a player was on a 3-8 team but had unbelievable numbers and was up against a player on a 8-3 team who didn't quite have the numbers. I tend to believe that whoever the voters are will always defer to the player on the better team. Also think Marquis Gray Wr at SE should be in the mix for offensive player of the year.

Comment

Gage Porter - Offensive Player of the year
          Malik Hall- Defensive Player of the year
          Kris McCollough or Todd Knight- Coach of the year
          No idea about freshmen of year.

Comment

So, I don't have a clue about the defensive players or the freshman as I mainly spend my time watching offensive guys. But, here are the offensive players that I have watched this season that stood out to me and their projected final numbers. Again, it's probably a done deal for T.J. Cole but here are my other nomineess just to make it interesting. And I'll apologize ahead of time if I left anyone out. Please feel free to add anyone who may be deserving of a mention.

T.J. Cole Rb Ouchita projected final numbers 1,650-1,700 yards rushing with 25-26 touchdowns
            Marquis Gray Wr Southeastern projected final numbers 1,350-1,400 recieving yards with 17-18 touchdowns
            Tylan Morton Qb Southwestern projected final numbers 2,550-2,600 passing yards with 21 touchdowns 450 rushing yards with 4 touchdowns 58-59% completion rate
            Gage Porter SNU Qb projected final numbers 1,200 passing yards with 10 touchdowns 1,650 rushing yards with 26 touchdowns 61-62% completion rate
            Daulton Hatley Qb Southeastern projected final numbers 3,200 passing yards with 30-31 touchdowns 67-68% completion rate

I also believe Demilon Brown Qb UAM would have made this list if not for missing the final 3 games due to his injury
            Last edited by Baldsexy; 11-07-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

OFF. POY - Gage Porter or TJ Cole or Marquis Gray or Xavier Malone
              DEF. POY - Elijah Calhoun or Devon Roush or Keldric Martin
              COY - Todd Knight or Dustin Hada or Chris McCollough
              FR POY - Andrew Edwards or Cole Keylon

Comment

Harding RS Freshman QB Cole Keylon is the best freshman ( RF or true) I can think of right now. His 623 yards of rushing and 5 TDS through 10 games is not all that impressive and because he runs the Flexbone his passing yardage is very low although he has thrown a fairly high percentage of his for TDS. There’s not another freshman RB, WR or defender in the conference with impressive numbers. Unless there’s an outstanding kicker or punter I’m missing, I’d say Keylon is the best candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
                  Harding RS Freshman QB Cole Keylon is the best freshman ( RF or true) I can think of right now. His 623 yards of rushing and 5 TDS through 10 games is not all that impressive and because he runs the Flexbone his passing yardage is very low although he has thrown a fairly high percentage of his for TDS. There’s not another freshman RB, WR or defender in the conference with impressive numbers. Unless there’s an outstanding kicker or punter I’m missing, I’d say Keylon is the best candidate.
                  Andrew Edwards - HSU Redshirt Freshman QB
                  125/193 = 65%
                  1905 Passing Yards + 18 TD's
                  168 Rushing Yards + 3 TD's

7-1 as a starter

Comment

comparison of Xavier Malone and Marquis Gray

Marquis Gray 66 receptions 1,266 yards 16 Td's
                    Xavier Malone 58 receptions 1,244 yards 13 Td's
                    This is through 10 games both could improve in final game. Very close race for Wr1 in the GAC

Comment

By looking at the above numbers I'd have to say Andrew Edwards would edge out Cole Keylon for FOY if I had to pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldsexy View Post
                        So, I don't have a clue about the defensive players or the freshman as I mainly spend my time watching offensive guys. But, here are the offensive players that I have watched this season that stood out to me and their projected final numbers. Again, it's probably a done deal for T.J. Cole but here are my other nomineess just to make it interesting. And I'll apologize ahead of time if I left anyone out. Please feel free to add anyone who may be deserving of a mention.

T.J. Cole Rb Ouchita projected final numbers 1,650-1,700 yards rushing with 25-26 touchdowns
                        Marquis Gray Wr Southeastern projected final numbers 1,350-1,400 recieving yards with 17-18 touchdowns
                        Tylan Morton Qb Southwestern projected final numbers 2,550-2,600 passing yards with 21 touchdowns 450 rushing yards with 4 touchdowns 58-59% completion rate
                        Gage Porter SNU Qb projected final numbers 1,200 passing yards with 10 touchdowns 1,650 rushing yards with 26 touchdowns 61-62% completion rate
                        Daulton Hatley Qb Southeastern projected final numbers 3,200 passing yards with 30-31 touchdowns 67-68% completion rate

I also believe Demilon Brown Qb UAM would have made this list if not for missing the final 3 games due to his injury
                        I apologize for overlooking Xavier Malon Wr Henderson. Thanks for adding his name to the conversation. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Comment

comparison of Xavier Malone and Marquis Gray

Marquis Gray 66 receptions 1,266 yards 16 Td's
                          Xavier Malone 58 receptions 1,244 yards 13 Td's
                          This is through 10 games both could improve in final game. Very close race for Wr1 in the GAC
                          Both are excellent WR’s, and the two best WR’s in the conference.
                          HSU passing stats = 149/236
                          SEOK passing stats = 238/360 (124 more passing attempts that HSU)

124 more passing attempts = 8 more receptions, 22 yards, and 3 TD’s all in favor of M. Gray (At this point)

Imagine what X. Malone stats would be if HSU threw the ball 124 more times. While both are tremendous, my point is that Malone has made more of his opportunities while having less. 124 team passing attempts less to be exact.

Comment

Originally posted by NattyStateFan View Post

Both are excellent WR’s, and the two best WR’s in the conference.
                            HSU passing stats = 149/236
                            SEOK passing stats = 238/360 (124 more passing attempts that HSU)

124 more passing attempts = 8 more receptions, 22 yards, and 3 TD’s all in favor of M. Gray (At this point)

Imagine what X. Malone stats would be if HSU threw the ball 124 more times. While both are tremendous, my point is that Malone has made more of his opportunities while having less. 124 team passing attempts less to be exact.
                            I'll play devil's advocate. Although you make great points. Henderson is a run heavy team. This in turn leaves the defense more focused on stopping the run by stacking the box which opens things up more for the Wr's. On the other hand SE is a pass heavy team which means the defense doesn't have to stack the box to stop the run. This puts more Db's back in coverage to stop the pass. Gray gets way more attention in coverage than Malone. This usually means he's double teamed every game. Watch his catches he's constantly outbattling Db's for the ball. Now that being said both are studs and I think if you flipped them and Gray played at Henderson and Malone at SE you'd still see pretty similar numbers. What makes a dude a dude is that he's a dude no matter where he plays. A dog is always gonna eat!

Comment

I'll play devil's advocate. Although you make great points. Henderson is a run heavy team. This in turn leaves the defense more focused on stopping the run by stacking the box which opens things up more for the Wr's. On the other hand SE is a pass heavy team which means the defense doesn't have to stack the box to stop the run. This puts more Db's back in coverage to stop the pass. Gray gets way more attention in coverage than Malone. This usually means he's double teamed every game. Watch his catches he's constantly outbattling Db's for the ball. Now that being said both are studs and I think if you flipped them and Gray played at Henderson and Malone at SE you'd still see pretty similar numbers. What makes a dude a dude is that he's a dude no matter where he plays. A dog is always gonna eat!
                              I will say that I think this only applies to the Wr and Rb position. Qb is a different animal being that there are 3 completely different types of Qb's that can be successful in DII football. Players like T.J.Cole, Marquis Gray, and Xavier Malone would all 3 still be studs on any team in the GAC except for Gray and Malone at Harding. But the same cannot be said for some of the top GAC Qb's.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X