Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OPOY: TJ Cole (Ouachita)
    Far and away the most impressive player I saw this year.

DPOY: Maalik Hall (Southeastern)
    Not impressed having played against him in game, but his stats prove he's the best defensive player in this conference.

COY: Dustin Hada (SNU)
    This team is just terrible yet their head coach was able to lead them to a 5-6 record despite starting 0-3.

FOY: Andrew Edwards (Henderson)
    Wins the head-to-head vs Cole Keylon.

Comment

OPOTY - Gage Porter (SNU)
      DPOTY - Devon Rousch (ECU)
      FOTY - Andrew Edwards (HSU)
      COTY - Todd Knight (OBU)

Gray, Malone, Cole all unanimous First Team. With all due respect to Hatley, not exactly sure how the OPOTY gets bumped to Second Team QB and gets called a Utility Player on the First Team, but whatever. Spread the love around.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post
        OPOTY - Gage Porter (SNU)
        DPOTY - Devon Rousch (ECU)
        FOTY - Andrew Edwards (HSU)
        COTY - Todd Knight (OBU)

Gray, Malone, Cole all unanimous First Team. With all due respect to Hatley, not exactly sure how the OPOTY gets bumped to Second Team QB and gets called a Utility Player on the First Team, but whatever. Spread the love around.
        Im sure this will be written off as biased. But, Porter is an absolute stud! I do not think anyone believes otherwise. But, I do believe that a there is still the belief that Qb's are passers. Now the game is changing and this may not last forever. But running Qb's are still considerd to be more of a unicorn. It has always been the belief that they won't last because they can't take the beating. Again this will change with time. There are a lot of running Qb's in the NFL that are having success. But the majority of Qb's are still primarily passers. Dual threat Qb's are definitely becoming more prominent but I still think most coaches and whoever else votes for these type of awards are still of the belief that the Qb is primarily a passer. Porter had a monster season and deserves all the crecit for SNU' s success this year. I do believe that label of "utlility player" proves the point I'm trying to make. The coaches and other voters still see tha Qb position as primarily a passer. Just my thoughts. Yall have a great day! I'm definately proud of my son for making 1st team whether others believe he was deserving or not. To each his own as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldsexy View Post

Im sure this will be written off as biased. But, Porter is an absolute stud! I do not think anyone believes otherwise. But, I do believe that a there is still the belief that Qb's are passers. Now the game is changing and this may not last forever. But running Qb's are still considerd to be more of a unicorn. It has always been the belief that they won't last because they can't take the beating. Again this will change with time. There are a lot of running Qb's in the NFL that are having success. But the majority of Qb's are still primarily passers. Dual threat Qb's are definitely becoming more prominent but I still think most coaches and whoever else votes for these type of awards are still of the belief that the Qb is primarily a passer. Porter had a monster season and deserves all the crecit for SNU' s success this year. I do believe that label of "utlility player" proves the point I'm trying to make. The coaches and other voters still see tha Qb position as primarily a passer. Just my thoughts. Yall have a great day! I'm definately proud of my son for making 1st team whether others believe he was deserving or not. To each his own as they say.
          I got nothing but respect for your son, he's a great player and had a terrific career. I would agree that if you're going off of traditional drop back passing, he and Edwards were far and away the two best in the conference this year. I was just surprised to see Porter get bumped to Utility when that's not really what he is.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post

I got nothing but respect for your son, he's a great player and had a terrific career. I would agree that if you're going off of traditional drop back passing, he and Edwards were far and away the two best in the conference this year. I was just surprised to see Porter get bumped to Utility when that's not really what he is.
            Thank you I appreciate the compliment. I just believe that most coaches still see the Qb as a traditional drop back passer as you said. Now it is definately changing to more of jack of all trades type of guy. The game does change over time and perhaps the traditional type of drop back passer will become a thing of the past. But, at least for the time being I think most coaches still are of the belief that the Qb is primarily a passer. I think the emergence of the Porter type of Qb is due to a lot of high school coaches simply putting their best athlete a Qb. That's exactly what our coach does. He had no idea what to do when Daulton got there. If you have the ball in your best players hands good things will usually happen. Remember Vince Young vs USC? If Porter is able to do what he does at the college level. Just imagine what he did to high school kids. One problem with this is that because those guys are so good there isn't much focus on teaching traditional Qb skills. I was told by our defensive coordinator when Daulton was a freshman that I needed to take him to a private Qb coach because he wouldn't be taught any of those skills at our high school. I spent thousands of dollars and drove long distances to pay for private Qb lessons. Unlike Porter Daulton couldn't get by on his athletic abiltiy. He could run just enough to escape trouble on occasion and actually has good top end speed once he gets going. But he is not super athletic. He had to use his arm and his ability to read defenses to be successful. Porter and his ilk are such good athletes that they can throw decent enough to get by and with the threat of their running it makes them very hard to defend. I just think that maybe they ought to open up a new catagory for dual threat Qb as well as one for the tradition drop back Qb. They're actually kinda 2 different positions if you really look at how they play.

Comment

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it's really difficult to compare a Qb like Porter with Hatley. Do Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, play the same as Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers? Who's better? They are all really good in their particular style of Qb play. But also almost look like they are playing diffent positions.

Comment

All I know is I'd sure hate to be one of the voters that has to make these decisions.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X