Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are in a better position to get nationally competitive right now with our cupcake conference than we were in the GSC, *IF* we play our cards right. SR3 has the best D2 football teams in America. We still learn something from every match up where we get shellacked; I would rather get blown out by NW, Pitt, Ferris, GVSU etc than blow out Fayetteville St and Limestone come playoff time. If we can finally crack the code and become competitive in the SR3 matchups, it'll make a deep run much more likely for us. We *have* to schedule some better opponents and drop SILO scheduling though, or we will get bounced every single year for the rest of eternity. I would love to be able to play a mid-level FCS team and a strong OOC D2 team every year. I think it would vastly improve our standing.

I do miss watching our games against Delta State, UNA, Valdosta State etc though. It would be really cool to make some of the GSC teams our OOC opponents in our theoretical improved conference! I would like to schedule the MIAA too but they also would have to drop the SILO.

Comment

Originally posted by Armo Wood View Post
      After several years of watching Ouachita not get it done come PO time, here are my thoughts as to why Ouachita Baptist is 1-5 in the POs and will not likely have success in the playoffs anytime soon...

1) Portrayed Mentality/Outlook. Todd Knight said in an interview on Inside D2 Football show earlier this season that he believes National Championships come by winning Conference Championships first. That is demonstrably untrue because TAMUC in '17 & UWF in '19 won national titles, but did not win conference titles. Frankly, that kind of talk sounds like a team that in more interested in conference titles than national titles, or in other words is just happy to be in the playoffs as opposed to wanting to be a serious contender. Not a good look. HC shouldn't be talking about GAC titles when asked about what his team needs to do to improve their PO performance. He should be talking about what he's going to do to take that next step towards being a PO contender.

2) De facto Defensive Philosophy. The whole Bend-but-don't-break + Opportunistic style D doesn't work well in the POs, especially SR3, when combined with a Power Running O. Those kinds of defenses only work well in POs if a team is running a Spread, RPO, Air Raid+, etc., type offense. Also, during the regular season these kinds of defenses when used in a silo schedule can look like a dominating D when it is playing familiar weaker teams in conference play. Either Ouachita needs to change how they approach D or they need to change how they approach O.

3) Familiarity/Lack of Familiarity with opponents. As for regular season, because the GAC plays in a silo-schedule, i.e., the same 11 teams every year, Ouachita knows those teams tendencies very well. However, after compiling a 1-5 record, it is pretty clear that the Tigers struggle to prepare for teams they don’t see year-in & year-out. A couple of non-conference games against quality opponents every year would probably go a good ways towards helping to fix that problem.

4) Recruitment. Two-thirds (2/3rds) to Three-fourths (3/4ths) of every signing class for Ouachita comes from Arkansas. Arkansas has some great high school talent, but it doesn’t have enough talent to field a D2 PO-caliber D by using mostly Arkansas recruits, it just doesn't. I realize there may be a financial reason behind why Ouachita recruits this way, but at some point you either have to find a way to get it done or admit defeat and stop pretending to be a PO contender.

Okay, melt down by certain Ouachita fans is about to commence in T-minus 10 and counting...

P.S. feel free to agree/disagree in a civil manner.

P.S.S. if you act like a snowflake or cupcake, I'm gonna treat you like one.
      I agree the scheduling builds complacency, and I also agree that mentality plays a role. I, as a OBU alum, cannot stand to listen to games with OBU's radio/media team as they act like this is the 4-7 OBU of the early 2000's and beginning bemoaning everything as soon as the stakes get high. The first thing that has to change for ANY GAC team to advance further in the playoffs is to get the previous GSC little man chip off their shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
        Here’s the frank reality.

The Arkies broke away from the GSC when most of the schools were not very competitive in football. They formed a cupcake conference with several other non-competitive schools from the LSC.

Is it any surprise that, a decade later, the conference doesn’t do well in the playoffs especially in SR3 with the MIAA and GLIAC? No.

Should have stuck it out in the GSC and SR2.

Harding has shown they can be competitive on a national level - Ouachita has not.

Its no secret where Harding and OBU stood in the GSC. Its no secret where the GAC as a conference ranks nationally, however, I think Harding has made significant culture changes and investment in the program to be competitive outside of the GAC. For whatever reason OBU just can't get over that postseason hump.

Comment

Originally posted by OBUGrad View Post

About as hard as the Tigers and Reddies were for the Bison this year. Haha

yeah, that was a bad one.
          lindenwood was a cupcake team… they got 70+ points scored on them the next week. I think if we want to talk about score, we can talk about last year and look at how embarrassing it was that Harding curb stomped HSU and OBwho?.

Comment

Harding fans are talking a lot of smack in here considering their post-season draws have been a lot easier.

Lindenwood should not have happened, but Ouachita could have taken care of business against schools like Washburn, Sioux Falls, Ashland, etc. Ferris State is a good post-season win, but I am of the opinion that despite having a deep run in 2017, Harding is pretty much in the same boat as Ouachita, just with an offense that teams have trouble game planning for if they aren’t used to seeing it.

Comment

Bottom line is it’s easy to take potshots when your team is sitting at home.

I’ll sit up and notice when Harding beats NW Mo.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftSider View Post

lindenwood was a cupcake team… they got 70+ points scored on them the next week. I think if we want to talk about score, we can talk about last year and look at how embarrassing it was that Harding curb stomped HSU and OBwho?.
                Yes Harding had a really good team last year. Kudos. That’s not news. Just like Ouachita had a good one this year.

OBwho?? You can do better than that surely. I’ve seen on this board you come with better ones than that!

Comment

What is the combined D2 playoff record history of the GAC schools?

Comment

GAC 8-14
                    HU 6-7
                    HSU 1-3
                    OBU 1-4

Comment

GAC Playoff Results
                      SPACER
                      Harding
                      2021 Washburn W 30-14
                      Northwest Missouri L 28-9
                      2019 @ Northwest L 7-6
                      2018 @ Ferris State L 21-18
                      2017 @ Indianapolis W 27-24
                      @ Ashland W 34-24
                      @ Ferris State W 16-14
                      @ A&M-Commerce L 31-17
                      2016 Central Missouri W 48-31
                      @ Sioux Falls W 27-24
                      @ Northwest Missouri L 35-0
                      2014 @ Pittsburg State L 59-42
                      2013 @ Northwest Missouri L 35-0
                      SPACER
                      Ouachita
                      2022 Northwest Missouri L 47-17
                      2019 Lindenwood L 41-38
                      2018 Indianapolis W 35-7
                      Ferris State L 37-14
                      2017 @ Ferris State L 24-19
                      2014 Minnesota Duluth L 48-45
                      SPACER
                      Henderson
                      2015 Sioux Falls W 23-16
                      Emporia State L 29-3
                      2013 St Cloud L 40-35
                      2012 Missouri Western L 45-21

Comment

Originally posted by walnut100 View Post
                        Harding ..... considering their post-season draws have been a lot easier.

Lindenwood should not have happened, but Ouachita could have taken care of business against schools like Washburn, Sioux Falls, Ashland, etc. Ferris State is a good post-season win, but I am of the opinion that despite having a deep run in 2017, Harding is pretty much in the same boat as Ouachita, just with an offense that teams have trouble game planning for if they aren’t used to seeing it.
                        I don't think Harding's draws have been easier, much less "a lot" easier. I'm working through this as I type. Maybe I'll change my mind by the end.

Harding has played 10/13 games on the road. Ouachita has played 3/5 at home.

Harding has played games against what I consider elite D2 programs 8/13 (61.5%) times. Ouachita has played games against what I consider elite D2 programs 4/6 (66.7%) times.

Harding has played 3/13 (23.0%) games at home. Ouachita has played 5/6 (83.6%) games at home.

Harding has played 6/13 (46.1%) non-first round games. Ouachita has played 2/6 (33.3%) non-first round games.

After looking at this, I'm having a hard time seeing that Harding has had an easier draw than Ouachita. Please make the case so I can see if from your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Harding has played 6/13 (46.1%) non-first round games. Ouachita has played (16.7%) non-first round games.
                          Not that it matters much, but it's actually 33% second round games for Ouachita. They had a bye in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I don't think Harding's draws have been easier, much less "a lot" easier. I'm working through this as I type. Maybe I'll change my mind by the end.

Harding has played 10/13 games on the road. Ouachita has played 3/5 at home.

Harding has played games against what I consider elite D2 programs 8/13 (61.5%) times. Ouachita has played games against what I consider elite D2 programs 4/6 (66.7%) times.

Harding has played 3/13 (23.0%) games at home. Ouachita has played 5/6 (83.6%) games at home.

Harding has played 6/13 (46.1%) non-first round games. Ouachita has played (16.7%) non-first round games.

After looking at this, I'm having a hard time seeing that Harding has had an easier draw than Ouachita. Please make the case so I can see if from your perspective.
                            Who are you considering as "elite D2" for Harding? I'm guessing the 4 NW Mo and 2 Ferris games. Other two A&M Commerce (champion that year, right?) and Pitt State?

It is worth noting of those 8 above I've listed Harding only played 4 in the opening round and lost all 4. Where the 4 elite programs you say Ouachita has played they played 3 of the 4 in the opening round and lost all 3.

So yes your numbers play out on the whole, but the opening round games show a bit different of a story.

Doesn't matter. Still need to start winning.

Comment

Not that it matters much, but it's actually 33% second round games for Ouachita. They had a bye in 2014.
                              I'll fix it. I don't have an agenda. Just trying to understand.

Comment

(1) Who are you considering as "elite D2" for Harding? I'm guessing the 4 NW Mo and 2 Ferris games. Other two A&M Commerce (champion that year, right?) and who else?

(2) Where the 4 elite programs you say Ouachita has played they played 3 of the 4 in the opening round.

(3) So yes your numbers play out on the whole, but the opening round games show a bit different of a story.
                                (1) Northwest Missouri / Ferris State / A&M-Commerce / Pittsburg State

(2) Northwest Missouri / Ferris State / Minnesota Duluth

(3) Well aren't we talking about the playoffs as a whole, not just opening round games?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X