18. Edinboro
    19. Assumption
    20. Carson-Newman
    21. Humbolt St
    22. Bowie St
    23. SW Baptist
    24. Hillsdale
    25. Adams St

Weird not seeing GV in here. Have our shots though during the season (games against UIndy, Ferris St., Ashland).

Re: Lindy's Preseason Poll

Hard to believe Ashland at 15 when they lost most of their Oline and 3 year starting QB. Especially hard start to the season with IUP visiting week one.

Comment

Adams State? That must be a typo.
      Last edited by BuffaloChip; 06-27-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Me thinks they just plain forgot GV. In no reasonable mind is GV any lower than 17 in this poll.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Yea, I saw this on another thread. I know I'm a GV homer, but no way in hell does GV deserve not being in any poll. Hell, I'd have to put GV in the top 10. That's me, but below Hillsdale? Hillsdale? Can I get that bet from anyone? (Since GV isn't playing HC I know it's a no can do, but I think you all get the message.):doh:

Then again, we all know what polls mean anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
            Me thinks they just plain forgot GV. In no reasonable mind is GV any lower than 17 in this poll.
            If by "just plain forgot" you mean: did no actual research, and don't keep up on what goes on in D2 other than when they cobble their poll together in late Spring, then sure...they forgot GV.

I can glance at this and name at least five clubs that have no business being anywhere near this poll...and at least another five that belong here but should be somewhere far away from where they are.

Brandon and I have discussed the idea of polls for years. This one is doing exactly what he likes: driving conversation. I think they are a colossal waste of time before October...

Comment

Very disrespectful to GV. But after they beat Indianapolis in week 1 things will change fast.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
                Very disrespectful to GV. But after they beat Indianapolis in week 1 things will change fast.
                I wouldn't go so far as to deem it "disrespectful". As I mentioned in an earlier post, it is a function of a lack work/research being put into the poll. Consider this in conjunction with some of the placement of other teams, and it speaks more about their lack of viable knowledge of D2 than it does their not respecting anyone.

And, FWIW, I would be willing to bet that there isn't one guy in the GV football building that gives a rip about this...

Comment

These rankers basically look at who made the late rounds of the playoffs last year and then randomly plug in the teams that just made the playoffs after that along with a few teams that didn't. GVSU didn't even make the playoffs with 3 losses, so GVSU is out of sight, out of mind for a group of people that don't actually follow D2.

Comment

Will this poll be put up on a bulletin board in the GV locker room?

I think the group creating this poll has done minimal research. As BC points out, Adams State? SW Baptist? And Humboldt State is going to struggle this year as the program was nearly axed and their longtime HC resigned, and they have not named a new coach, going with the interim coach for the season.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                      These rankers basically look at who made the late rounds of the playoffs last year and then randomly plug in the teams that just made the playoffs after that along with a few teams that didn't. GVSU didn't even make the playoffs with 3 losses, so GVSU is out of sight, out of mind for a group of people that don't actually follow D2.
                      Exactly. Case in point: Their #1 team, West Florida, had the same # of regular season losses last year that GV did. If UWF were simply in another region, they could just as easily been left out of the bracket all together. Absolute credit to them for their run and I know they have a ton coming back, but there were FIVE OTHER TEAMS in the Gulf South whose conference records were as good or better than theirs...and this is the #1 team in the whole country?

Seriously...I can riddle 15 to 20 of these placements with bullet holes. I get it's all opinions, but I tend to try and use #'s to support my opinions...I'd LOVE to see what #'s were used to back-up/create this list's opinions.

Comment

The thing that is confusing though is that usually you can tell what kind of "research" went in to the poll. For things like Lindy and Athlon, it is frequently looking who made the playoffs last year and/or looking at records from last year.

That's why I'm confused about Adams State though. They went 4-7 last year. And that was with a pretty good QB. I don't see any transfers on their team that are going to be impactful this year. I just don't understand the rationale behind these rankings.
                        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                          The thing that is confusing though is that usually you can tell what kind of "research" went in to the poll. For things like Lindy and Athlon, it is frequently looking who made the playoffs last year and/or looking at records from last year.

That's why I'm confused about Adams State though. They went 4-7 last year. And that was with a pretty good QB. I don't see any transfers on their team that are going to be impactful this year. I just don't understand the rationale behind these rankings.
                          Exactly. Edinboro is another great example. They're two years removed from being 0-11, and they went 7-4 last year. Those four losses were by an average margin of 26 points per game...so when they played "better" teams they got clobbered. Somehow Lindy's is bullish enough on their prospects to put them in the Top 20. The numbers I see sure just don't seem to justify it...

To make it even more confusing, where is Harding? They won SR3 for crying out loud. I get that their QB failed a piss test and is off the team, but if all of these other playoff schools are getting love how do these guys not even make the list?

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                            I was going to speculate this as well.....I didn't want to do the research. My guess was going to be that there are about the same number of teams from each region as well.

Comment

troll mode

Even if Grand Valley was the best non-playoff team in the country, they'd be 29th.

/troll mode

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X