X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GVSU 2018

http://www.gvsulakers.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Re: GVSU 2018

Also have a very strong recruiting class coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
      Also have a very strong recruiting class coming in.
      Glad you're excited, Dad. and I'm sure your son is a fine player. Keep in mind, that on average, there is a MAX of one true freshman that plays each year at GV. In most years, all of the new recruits red-shirt. Not saying it won't happen, but the premise that this "strong recruiting class" will impact anything on the field this season is probably unlikely.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post
          Glad you're excited, Dad. and I'm sure your son is a fine player. Keep in mind, that on average, there is a MAX of one true freshman that plays each year at GV. In most years, all of the new recruits red-shirt. Not saying it won't happen, but the premise that this "strong recruiting class" will impact anything on the field this season is probably unlikely.
          I get it for sure. I understand the situation. GO LAKERS.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The thing I am most interested in is the amount of transfers on the roster this year. I don't think we ever tried to "avoid" D1 transfers, but we rarely have had as many D1 transfers on the roster as we do now. By my count, 14 on the roster this year, with a couple more from NAIA. We had 13 D1 transfers last year, but only a handful of them played meaningful minutes. Part of me wonders if maybe the program has seen other schools building up quickly with transfers and decided to dive head first in to the same type of thing? I mean you just had West Florida get to the title game with almost an entire team of transfers. Guess we'll see how many of these guys plays this season.
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                  The thing I am most interested in is the amount of transfers on the roster this year. I don't think we ever tried to "avoid" D1 transfers, but we rarely have had as many D1 transfers on the roster as we do now. By my count, 14 on the roster this year, with a couple more from NAIA. We had 13 D1 transfers last year, but only a handful of them played meaningful minutes. Part of me wonders if maybe the program has seen other schools building up quickly with transfers and decided to dive head first in to the same type of thing? I mean you just had West Florida get to the title game with almost an entire team of transfers. Guess we'll see how many of these guys plays this season.

Comment

I think it might be necessary when the teams in your own conference you are chasing are doing it. Usually, teams in a conference are going to replicate what the top dog is doing to try and catch them. No different here.

Comment

I think it might be necessary when the teams in your own conference you are chasing are doing it. Usually, teams in a conference are going to replicate what the top dog is doing to try and catch them. No different here.
                      This could be dangerous for me to post, but I'll take the hit. Could it be a means to bypass a tough admission level? Yes the CURRENT GV leadership does require a certain level of HS success. Transfers don't need to meet as high a bar as a freshman to be admitted to a school, including GV. So I bet it's a combo of thing. Local talent- how far can one fiscally recruit?, and academics.

Fire away.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                        This could be dangerous for me to post, but I'll take the hit. Could it be a means to bypass a tough admission level? Yes the CURRENT GV leadership does require a certain level of HS success. Transfers don't need to meet as high a bar as a freshman to be admitted to a school, including GV. So I bet it's a combo of thing. Local talent- how far can one fiscally recruit?, and academics.

Fire away.
                        I don't believe that to be the case. GVSU transfer requirements include a 2.5 GPA at your previous school. The middle 50% of freshman admissions at GVSU have at least a 3.3 GPA, which leads me to believe the minimum GPA is probably around 2.5, and that's for high school, which is by all standards easier than college.

Not that it matters much, but one of the transfers, Thad Little, had been on GVSU's team previously, then transferred to a CC, and now is back at GVSU (and was last year). So he got in previously. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Fire away.
                          That's very interesting. If you are right, it's a great job by the coaches to find a way. I believe Truman State has extremely difficult transfer rules. To transfer in, a student had to be eligible for TSU admission standards out of high school. So theoretically, a student could have a 4.0 in three years at a school and still not be eligible to transfer to Truman.

Comment

I don't believe that to be the case. GVSU transfer requirements include a 2.5 GPA at your previous school. The middle 50% of freshman admissions at GVSU have at least a 3.3 GPA, which leads me to believe the minimum GPA is probably around 2.5, and that's for high school, which is by all standards easier than college.

Not that it matters much, but one of the transfers, Thad Little, had been on GVSU's team previously, then transferred to a CC, and now is back at GVSU (and was last year). So he got in previously. Haha.
                            The minimum requirement to get into GV when I was in high school 15 years ago was 2.9. It was 2.5 to transfer in. That freshman number has definitely gone up since 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                              The minimum requirement to get into GV when I was in high school 15 years ago was 2.9. It was 2.5 to transfer in. That freshman number has definitely gone up since 2003.
                              GVSU doesn't list a minimum freshman admission standard, just the GPA range of the middle 50% (3.3-3.8). So I'm not sure there *is* a minimum for first-year students. I suppose it is just a combination of GPA, test scores, volunteer work, etc. But at least for transfers, it is a 2.5. I'm just guessing based on the middle 50% being 3.3-3.8 for first-year students, that the minimum for freshman admission they usually take is probably around 2.5 as well. I know a couple people who were near that GPA in my high school and scored over 30 on their ACT's and got in to schools they had no business being in, GPA-wise. Who knows!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X